Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 08:36 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working full time. My job is now salary 40 hours with occasional OT. I've been contacted by a company in a field I've always been interested in... Mold making. Anyways, they were looking for someone full time, and I told them I'm kind of looking to stick with my current job, but I would like to learn about mold making.

Anyone ever work part time for someone before making the commitment to change jobs entirely? I've always wanted to do this type of work, but the jobs are hard to come by, and they usually want someone with decades of experience. This is a small company (4 workers total) and they seem pretty committed toward teaching their occupation. I would like to work for them, but I don't want to risk losing the security of my current job (always busy, no layoffs in 15 years, solid reputation and solidly booked).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 08:44 PM

11,270 posts, read 11,032,046 times
See if they'll let you shadow for five or six shifts on days in which you are off from your current job. I'm jealous. The employer wants to hire you when you have little to no experience in the field, yet there are people that have years of experience in their respective fields that can't seem to get a job to save their life. Truly amazing!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
See if they'll let you shadow for five or six shifts on days in which you are off from your current job. I'm jealous. The employer wants to hire you when you have little to no experience in the field, yet there are people that have years of experience in their respective fields that can't seem to get a job to save their life. Truly amazing!
Well, I wouldn't say I don't have experience. I have made mold components before. I have also made many dies and fixtures start to finish (dies and molds are similar in many regards). Where I'm at now, we do make a few odds and ends that are later assembled in molds, along with mold repair. So I probably have more background than many of the candidates they would typically see. They don't know any of this though. I'm going to visit the owner tomorrow so I should probably bring it up. And yes, they are working insane hours right now. It sounds like they desperately need some help.

I don't want to sell myself as being a functional mold maker though. I would be there to learn, and I would stress this point. So far as I have been told, they are interested in anyone who is interested, and most importantly, someone who can learn. You would surprised at how few can actually satisfy that last point.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:47 PM

I took a look at the place today. They wanted to hire me full time, but I asked for part time. They will let me know in a couple days if that will work out. Small place with 4 employees total, and swamped with work. The really sad thing... 8 molds on a rack, all made in China, none of which work properly... All in need of extensive repair. If they were made in this country, these companies wouldn't need to rush around to try to find people to repair their botches tools. Really sick and sad how low corporate America will go to eek out a couple extra dollars in profit. And they wonder why there are no mold makers left to make their tools!

Even worse, many companies are now going to Germany to get the work done. For anyone who knows anything about getting work done in Germany, it is considerably more expensive than America! They have no problem finding skill mold makers in Germany. Wonder why

Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 PM

85 posts, read 151,457 times
This doesn't surprise me at all. As long as boneheaded bean counters rule corporate America, especially in manufacturing, the decline of the country will continue.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderandprobablywiser View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all. As long as boneheaded bean counters rule corporate America, especially in manufacturing, the decline of the country will continue.
The guy told me something that was pretty sad... The foreign corps (Nissan, Toyota, Motorola, etc) have been doing more to bring work here to the states, while the American corps are doing everything to send work elsewhere. These American corps will get a quote from a domestic manufacturer, then go to some slave wage hell hole and get a quote, then come back to the American business owner... This guy over here will do it for 60% the cost! Then go to the slave wage shop, wait 6 months for your garbage work and send it to an American company to fix! What are you waiting for?

Just pathetic how these slimy types operate. They want it both ways... Someone to slave over their work for cheap, while delivering top notch, unrivaled quality. It didn't work like that 30 years ago and it still doesn't work like that today, just because you're throwing a hissy fit about it.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 PM

85 posts, read 151,457 times
Caterpillar commonly puts enormous pressure on their American subs to outsource their work. All while waving the flag and proudly stating they are an "American" company.

They basically tell their subs we'll pay you "X" to make part "Y" and when the subs say but that's less than what it costs us to make, Cat will basically tell them pursue other avenues to reduce cost, such as labor from China. This way CAT can deliver cheaper product, charge a premium price and keep a squeaky clean image as a good flag-waving company.

It's disgusting really.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderandprobablywiser View Post
Caterpillar commonly puts enormous pressure on their American subs to outsource their work. All while waving the flag and proudly stating they are an "American" company.

They basically tell their subs we'll pay you "X" to make part "Y" and when the subs say but that's less than what it costs us to make, Cat will basically tell them pursue other avenues to reduce cost, such as labor from China. This way CAT can deliver cheaper product, charge a premium price and keep a squeaky clean image as a good flag-waving company.

It's disgusting really.
About 2 years ago, Caterpillar laid waste to a unionized Canadian plant. They were asking for massive concessions that would see general labor positions paying near minimum wage. What's really sad is the fact that they were threatening to move all the work to the U.S. because American workers will take the jobs for less pay. Hows that for irony? How many times were American workers put in the same position?

Divide and conquer.

It's funny when it doesn't work out though. I have seen plenty of el cheapos lose millions because they couldn't bring themselves to pay more than 10 bucks an hour to bring in a decent worker. Plenty of companies have lost good work because good workers don't work for peanuts. There are forces that keep greed in check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment