Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 PM

85 posts, read 151,491 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with the idea of a union to bargain for group benefits with one company. I have a problem with the forcing of employees to join a union against their will and pay dues, which largely support a corrupt political machine. A one-sided machine that doesn't really help them anyway. As we saw with ACA, unions were given special exemptions to get out of the law. They had no need to support this law, especially if they were going to be exempted, so why did they donate money to support it? The end result is that it will make more people dependent on the government which is bad for everyone, unions included. Name the last democrat that did something positive to affect our trade deficit with China? That's the real killer for American unions right there.

Americans better wake up and start voting with their brains and not because some union tells them what to do.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
i am sorry this happened to you.
of this i am certain, that if you rely on these facts, that you are a good honest worker and do your job
that the employer has an obligation to recompense you and reward you for your contribution, and that the government has an obligation to defend you if you are treated unfairly, you will be dead in a jiffy.
unions or the threat of unions made this country
otherwise you are just a hired wage slave waiting to be used up and thrown away just like how we treat the undocumented.
unions are monsterous and horrible. but it takes a stalin to stop a hitler. and in the average american job today under employment at will, that is who you are working for--- hitler.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,777,887 times
Only 6.7% of private industry jobs, are Union. In other words, 93.3% of workers in private industry are non union.

Unions outside of school teachers, and government employees, are almost unknown today.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Only 6.7% of private industry jobs, are Union. In other words, 93.3% of workers in private industry are non union.

Unions outside of school teachers, and government employees, are almost unknown today.
Unknown today because they aren't on the news because of how much of a mess they are. But plenty of smaller, successful, unions exist. These include the Newspaper Guild, trucker unions, construction unions and more. In most cases, the employers and the unions don't make ridiculous demands and play along cooperatively.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

And that is why workers have NO protections and serve at the employer's slightest whim, otherwise known as employment at will.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And that is why workers have NO protections and serve at the employer's slightest whim, otherwise known as employment at will.
That same law protects employees who may quit at any time.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That same law protects employees who may quit at any time.
This. Without at-will, my ability to progress in my career by moving to more relevant employers at any time would disappear. I'm sure employers would love to get rid of at-will... making it hard for me to quit... but luckily I retain that freedom.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:53 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,955,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
And many of the things that unions fought for were codified in law - Overtime, shorter work weeks, safer conditions, minimum wages, etc.
The way I think of the history of unions is like climbing a mountain. The peak of the mountain is the perfect balance between workers' rights and company profitability. Unions were beneficial until they reached that peak, but became destructive and and took things downhill once they pushed past the peak.

Obviously, its hard to tell when you have hit the sweet spot. Also, there is not really an incentive for the unions to stop pushing until they have pushed too far and harmed their host (the business or industry). To me, the harm unions can cause the economy becomes evident where you see unskilled positions earning wages that would be appropriate for skilled labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This. Without at-will, my ability to progress in my career by moving to more relevant employers at any time would disappear. I'm sure employers would love to get rid of at-will... making it hard for me to quit... but luckily I retain that freedom.
Excellent point. The gripers tend to forget that at-will is a two way street.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:25 AM

85 posts, read 151,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Don't be silly. That's what non-competes are for!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
We do not "own" our jobs. We are not "owed" employment.

The strides made by unions were great but all of that large, society-affecting work is over. It's in the past. Unions aren't doing any great "society" work now.

I still don't understand the anger of "at will' employment. All it means is that no job is secure. If you know that upfront, you can plan your life around that knowledge. Do we want to force companies to keep folks they don't want?

Has anyone eery worked with someone that was fired...and everyone was happy that person was gone? Imagine if the company didn't have the right to get rid of that person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment