Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:35 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,692,342 times

Advertisements

A former Bank of America employee is suing the bank, saying he faced discrimination because his right hand, arm and leg were disabled in a car accident and he was told accommodation "wouldn't be fair to people with two hands."

For three years, Daniel Herrmann, 38, worked in customer service for Merrill Lynch and then Bank of America after BoA acquired Merrill Lynch in January 2010. He said he was fired on Sept. 20, 2010 for being one to two minutes late from his lunch break due to the fact that it took him longer to walk from the lunch room because of a limp.

Disabled Employee Says Bank of America Fired Him for Slow Typing and Walking - Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 05:59 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,230,824 times
Bank of America has done this before.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:04 AM

36,472 posts, read 16,075,844 times
Good for him!!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,502,941 times
"Around that time, he began to receive warnings for returning late from lunch break. He claims his limp caused him to walk more slowly from the lunchroom on a different floor in the building if the closest lunchroom was fully occupied, the suit states.

As he continued to ask for accommodations, he eventually received six warnings for being seconds or minutes late from his lunch break and was eventually fired."

As a former supervisor (before I retired) I can say that most employees exaggerate the amount of time they're late. If he has a disability that makes him walk slowly, he should leave the lunchroom earlier in order to get back to his office on time.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:02 PM

Yikes. In my previous post, I meant to say:

As a former supervisor (before I retired) I can say that most employees minimize the amount of time they're late. If he has a disability that makes him walk slowly, he should leave the lunchroom earlier in order to get back to his office on time.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:02 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,857,211 times
I hope he wins and gets a large enough settlement that he never has to work another day in his life.

That would be the ultimate revenge.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,768,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
If he has a disability that makes him walk slowly, he should leave the lunchroom earlier in order to get back to his office on time.
I've worked in places where I'd occasionally return from lunch a couple minutes late and I never heard a complaint from a manager about it.

And I'm not disabled.

5+ minutes late? Without a good excuse that is indeed ridiculous. However, 1-2 minutes late? I just can't say the same, especially if we're talking about an older/disabled person who moves a little slower than others.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
5+ minutes late? Without a good excuse that is indeed ridiculous. However, 1-2 minutes late? I just can't say the same, especially if we're talking about an older/disabled person who moves a little slower than others.

I've learned that, when an employee says he's 1-2 minutes late often, he's really 5-10 minutes late often.

I agree, totally, with making accommodations, within reason, for disabled employees. But allowing them to be late often isnt fair to others.

I had a serious stroke in 2006 and had take short-term disability for six months. When I returned to work, it was difficult for me to get dressed in the AM (I had to be at work at 6:30 AM) and to drive to work (my right leg still gets tired when driving) and to walk from the parking garage to the office (a 10-minute walk for a non-handicapped person). But I managed to arrive at work on time and even early most days. I also brought my lunch so I could eat in my office and not have to worry about being late coming back to work.

So, while I empathize with the disabled (still being disabled myself), I also think the disabled have an obligation to not take advantage of their disabilities.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 PM

29,874 posts, read 25,016,103 times
Why is it the employer who is solely charged with the responsibility of "making accommodations"? If the worker knows they will need more time to get back to their work station, shouldn't they allow for the extra time by leaving a bit early? Would it be possible to eat at their work station to avoid the extra travel? Both parties must make compromises in a fair and just world. Instead, this guy will probably get a huge settlement, and the cost will be passed down to the consumer, or possibly taken away from potential raises in the future for current employees.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,717,854 times
Also, he did take this to EEOC who after an investigation decided not take action on behalf of the people of the united states, but instead issued him a right to sue letter that allows him to go after tthe employer on their own. I find that EEOC issues these when the evidence doesn;t really support thr claim, the facts are so muddled they can;t figure it out, there is some question as to if the person or company is covered under the law, the claim is more about employee/employer actions and not decrimination, or one or both of the parties are so disagreable they want them out of their hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment