Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:53 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,633 times

Advertisements

I hope this is not a sign of things to come at Best Buy. I bought a laptop this past fall at Best Buy with a one year warranty and want that to still be honored if they go belly up but I heard of so many horror stories about Circuit City and their cluster**** after they went belly up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
I'm not getting the hate. I like the Best Buy near me I just bought a new headset there and a new keyboard. The prices on these items were not any better online. I bought my laptop there, cell phones, a number of other things. They price match places like NewEgg by the way just not on OEM stuff of course. If you have to shop online just to save 3 bucks in tax you should be shopping for a new job not a new cell phone. I fail to see why anyone would want to see a store like Best Buy go out of business. All that's going to do is cause less competition and that is always bad. Duh people.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Why not incentivize their people to stop slacking, hourly plus commission? Yes I am aware that can motivate them to push crap, but salespeople are motivated by money and competition, primarily. If you give them no additional motivation to work hard WTF do you expect BB execs? No one buys the BS warranties because even stuff from China lasts long, and we know it's all profit for BB, and insulting to consumer's intelligence.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The last time I bought something more expensive at BB was last summer. It happened to be the week they changed the return policy to 15 days from 30 days. They hadn't even changed the receipt paper to reflect the new policy.

The item was defective and broke after 18 days. I couldn't return it and had to work with the manufacturer. I had to replace it. 5 times in 5 months. After that I took it as a loss. Not going back to BB with the customer unfriendly policies.

I did buy some headphones the other week, my first purchase there since that other incident and realized how crappy it is now, so I'm done.
I just bought a headset there 2 days ago for 25 bucks and it's one of the best ones I've ever owned. I've already tested it on Skype with numerous people and they said my sound quality was great. Perhaps you have a PC issue.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:04 PM

Wander, contrary to what I said, I wish they could turn the titanic I do. The shell is fine the core is rotten. Great locations, good branding, but very poorly run. I am passionate because I am a true consultant and like to understand, and like to help, if possible. It's sad really.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Personally I think Best Buy is way over priced,
Their prices are the same as online on many items and they price match Amazon. They also post price match 15 days within their own stores.

Best Buy Low Price Guarantee - BestBuy

Quote:

We will match prices between our stores and BestBuy.com®. We will also match
prices post purchase if we lower our price within 15 days of your purchase

I'm just not getting the hate and I'm the biggest cheapskate consumer you could ever find. If you really want to be a cheapskate just buy everything used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Wander, contrary to what I said, I wish they could turn the titanic I do. The shell is fine the core is rotten. Great locations, good branding, but very poorly run. I am passionate because I am a true consultant and like to understand, and like to help, if possible. It's sad really.
You're probably overanalyzing it the average Joe doesn't care. I go in spend 50 bucks and leave.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Thursday Feb 24th, 2014: Shares of J.C. Penney were rallying today, climbing as much as 26% after reporting better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings.

This was issued, at the same time JC Penney is closing 33 stores and laying off 2,000 people.

Sears, is shutting stores.

Walmart is closing stores.

Macys is closing stores and laying off 2,500 people.

Best Buy is shutting stores and laying off people.

Best Buy said on a conference call with analysts Thursday that expanding its online presence will be a top priority in 2014. Chief Financial Officer Sharon McCollam said the company will invest more in online marketing and customer databases this year to catch up with its competitors.

"We were out-competed from an online marketing standpoint," she said.

Times are changing.

All major retailers including the very high end, are doing three things.

1)--Shutting down less profitable stores, and shutting down stores where they have too many in the area. No longer will they be saturating areas with retail stores.

2)--As their leases expire they will be moving into stores half the size now, which greatly reduces their cost of rent and number of employees needed.

3)--Moving their major marketing to the Internet where these stores are experiencing a great growth replacing sales lost in their retail stores. On line cuts the need for personnel considerably and does not require the high rent or ownership costs that retail stores cost. The quote from Best Buy is what is happening with all the big chains. Way bigger inventories, with way less costs to do business. That means more profits.

A lot of people now working in retail, with lose their jobs over the next 3 to 5 years. Don't blame the stores for closing stores and laying off people. We are in the Internet generation for business, and those stores that are closing are not going out of business. Changing not only can keep them in business, but is raising their profits.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 PM

17,595 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
If this guy knew the differences between SOHO and Enterprise grade and WAN and LAN ports, he would be working as a Network Engineer somewhere and not at Best Buy!

They hire complete jokers at BB!
Why would anyone be shopping for a high end router at Best Buy?

That reflects worse on the IT guy who went looking for that at BB than the BB employee not knowing what it was.

BB does carry some mid-range routers/switches.. But, so far as i've seen, only on their website, not in store. I'd be hard pressed to consider even that stuff to be "Enterprise" level.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:25 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader;33699867

[B
A lot of people now working in retail, with lose their jobs over the next 3 to 5 years. Don't blame the stores for closing stores and laying off people. We are in the Internet generation for business, and those stores that are closing are not going out of business. Changing not only can keep them in business, but is raising their profits[/b].
Correct, and retail will greatly automate (RFID, I'd bet, one eample) as their investors will demand stores return higher profits, or else force a shift to being 100% online only. So even the stores that survive will see huge reductions in the workforce retained.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Why would anyone be shopping for a high end router at Best Buy?

That reflects worse on the IT guy who went looking for that at BB than the BB employee not knowing what it was.

BB does carry some mid-range routers/switches.. But, so far as i've seen, only on their website, not in store. I'd be hard pressed to consider even that stuff to be "Enterprise" level.
Since your quote was a response to my post allow me to chime in. He was responding to my disappointment at their tech level when I asked for a SOHO dual wan router with failover he walked me to to a WRT54G and pointed to 4 lan ports, oh boy which made me remark it wasn't nearly the Enterprise grade he acted like after I explained what it was. I am no CCXX, blah,blah but self taught and enjoy and hate tech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment