Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:30 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,237 times

Advertisements

I'm working out of my field office today. The custodian just came and he is cleaning right now. He drives a Mercedes.

I keep telling people. No job is beneath us. And there are plenty of jobs that pay extremely well even though they have the stigma of having a low social status.

Young people who are reading these boards, keep in mind that college isn't for everybody. My janitor is doing way way way better than all of my friends who got an art degree combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 AM

180 posts, read 378,330 times
It doesnt take much money to get a mercedes unless its new. They drop in value like rocks....i can go pick up one for 3-5k on craigslists right now....fixing it up is the real problem.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minos16 View Post
It doesnt take much money to get a mercedes unless its new. They drop in value like rocks....i can go pick up one for 3-5k on craigslists right now....fixing it up is the real problem.
Exactly. Cars are not proof of anything. I know people who have fancy cars and are struggling to make the payments and upkeep. Cars are more to impress people.

Now, if that janitor owned the entire janitorial service and made over 6 figures a year, then I'd be impressed.

No career is beneath anyone. The career just has to meet the needs of the individual.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:06 PM

211 posts, read 266,754 times
LOL @ thinking guy having a Mercedes means that guy's rich. I'm carless so obviously I must be poor, right?

Old 02-28-2014, 12:33 PM

144 posts, read 264,320 times
I think it was on here that I read someone quit their social work job after finding out that the janitor of the building made the same pay as them if not more.

I also read about someone's dad making close to $40/hr as a janitor in Chicago. This of course after years of work and probably part of a union as well. But maybe that kind of pay isn't unheard of in bigger cities.

Still, equating a person's quality of life with their material possessions seems to come from the same train of thought that says prisoners have it made because they have access to TV and 3 meals a day. Now I just can't take your post seriously. Are you saying that kids are better off mopping floors than pursuing their interests? Maybe. But you can't tell me that anyone is doing "way better" than the next guy. Because "better" becomes completely subjective when someone's job to you is nothing more than what kind of nice stuff it can buy.

Last edited by SunsetMission; 02-28-2014 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
LOL @ thinking guy having a Mercedes means that guy's rich. I'm carless so obviously I must be poor, right?
Well, it's a 2013 mercedes. While I drive a company car, my personal car is an old clunky chevy malibu. I can't imagine myself buying a mercedes anytime soon, and I make... more than the average in my profession.

Still, the fact that my janitor could afford a 2013 mercedes proves that the job isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:35 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
I'd say any job that doesn't pay enough and doesn't afford enough work-life balance to find a job that pays me my market value is below me..

Old 02-28-2014, 01:37 PM

603 posts, read 846,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Well, it's a 2013 mercedes. While I drive a company car, my personal car is an old clunky chevy malibu. I can't imagine myself buying a mercedes anytime soon, and I make... more than the average in my profession.

Still, the fact that my janitor could afford a 2013 mercedes proves that the job isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
How do you know he isn't just financing or leasing it? He could've won the car. Somebody else could've bought it for him.

You don't really know if he can afford it. You're just assuming.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
I think it was on here that I read someone quit their social work job after finding out that the janitor of the building made the same pay as them if not more.

I also read about someone's dad making close to $40/hr as a janitor in Chicago. This of course after years of work and probably part of a union as well. But maybe that kind of pay isn't unheard of in bigger cities.

Still, equating a person's quality of life with their material possessions seems to come from the same train of thought that says prisoners have it made because they have access to TV and 3 meals a day. Now I just can't take your post seriously. Are you saying that kids are better off mopping floors than pursuing their interests? Maybe. But you can't tell me that anyone is doing "way better" than the next guy. Because "better" becomes completely subjective when someone's job to you is nothing more than what kind of nice stuff it can buy.
No, not at all.

But we are at a point in the history of our civilization when a typical kid growing up in a middle class family is expected to go to college regardless of ambition.

I know it sounds politically correct to say that you should pursue anything you like. This is simply not realistic. As I've said many times, I know plenty of people that got art/art history degrees and then sit at home after they graduated for a number of years before getting a job at star bucks or walmart.

If you think I meant for people to go out and get a job mopping floors, you are mistaken. I was simply using it as an example. There are plenty of people who fair better without a college degree than art/art history BA holders. Yes, pursue your dream life. But also keep in mind what reality has in store for you.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
How do you know he isn't just financing or leasing it? He could've won the car. Somebody else could've bought it for him.

You don't really know if he can afford it. You're just assuming.
Well, for one thing, someone in my office told me his car before this one was something else just as fancy. I forget what it was. I'm not a car person.

And again, the point isn't that he's rich. The point is he is doing at least well enough to be able to drive these cars around. He also uses a Note 3. While he was cleaning, he joked around with us in the office. He seemed happy enough with what he does. Obviously, he's fairing a lot better than the art/art history BA holders I know that were years out of work after college and eventually ended up in minimal wage jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment