Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Let's see: all my engineering and business grad friends had jobs before they even graduated. Both my two social science grad friends (anthropology and psychology) are still underemployed today. The reason "college grads" are having difficulty finding work is because far too many of them are majoring in useless disciplines. Sorry, but it's a reality -- if your degree doesn't arm you with a marketable skill, you will NOT find employment after graduation.
There are people with solid degrees that have the same problem. You can't assume that for everyone.

And the job market is still bad. Until employers stop the bs with the impossible requirements, things will get worse.

I got an email from a recruiter. Hopefully they don't waste my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:55 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
Quote:
Let's see: all my engineering and business grad friends had jobs before they even graduated. Both my two social science grad friends (anthropology and psychology) are still underemployed today. The reason "college grads" are having difficulty finding work is because far too many of them are majoring in useless disciplines. Sorry, but it's a reality -- if your degree doesn't arm you with a marketable skill, you will NOT find employment after graduation.

This is exactly the situation. Id say the STEM sector job outlook is great. But if you chose some social degree, your outlook is less bright. That's the choice new college students need to make; fulfill your inner expressionist through all things art, or work hard and get a degree with earning power.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
The job market is not healthy but at least is out of intensive care.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Jobs in Texas are plentiful especially high end energy company jobs. Its not who you know its did you major in something technical that built skills needed for the energy business. The idea that the job problem is company's fault is off base and demonstrates a lack of understanding of global market 101. Many states have governments that demonstrate they do not like business routinely in word and bills they pass, jobs and companies go where they are wanted..... and are profitable for those risking capital to create those jobs.

We have a very uneven jobs market now.... its much better than it was the past 5 years but other than a few selective places like Texas is no where near where it needs to be and was at the peak before the great crash of 2008.

Just as jobs move from some states who don't act like they like business to Texas and other pro Business states, at the national level jobs leave the US for places where their success is more certain. The idea that the US is a great place to sell products is more myth now than reality for most industries that create great jobs and wealth for their workers and hence for the country too.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
We can talk about a skills gap all we want but what this really comes down to it is that the business sector is not investing in hiring people, training people, development and so forth. It is hard to argue that they want skills and yet they own the methods of acceptance because after all if the company doesn't want them then they don't get hired to begin with!
I keep reading posters say. I cannot find a job. The company only offered me $38,000 to start, and I cannot afford to take a job under $50,000 to live and pay back my college loans. A good example is someone with a sports management degree who wanted to use his great marketing training he got from his degree to get into management in electronics, as sports did not pay $50,000 and up and no one would hire him without a business degree. He complained the best offers he had in his field of training was a way low ball at $40,000 If he had done a little looking he would have found his degree usually starts at $37,000 and instead of a low ball, it was a very good offer.

Majors That Pay You Back - 2013-2014 College Salary Report

A lot of degrees, do not pay well, and one reason they do not pay well is there are way too many having taken those type of courses. On the other hand, a petroleum engineer is the highest paid starting wage in the country today, as the demand for them is much higher than than the supply.

What a lot of new college graduates that cannot get jobs, or are offered low pay is:

1--If you have the right degree, they are lining up to hire you at top money.

2--If you have the wrong degree, you are going to find it hard to find a job in your field, and are going to have to take lower wages than your friends that got the right degree.

3--No company is going to hire you in another field than your training, pay you top money, and give you a couple of years training to be able to do your job. They never have been, and they are not going to do it now.

4--As stated above, you may have to move to another city or another state if hiring is slow in your area. People have done this throughout the history of this country. That is how the west was settled. If you are not willing to move where the jobs are, you may not be able to ever get a decent job.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,404 times
Quote:
If you want a job in a chemistry related field, I highly advise you not look in North America. The biotech industry is incredibly small in North America, and as a result there are few jobs. I'd recommend you instead look to Switzerland, Germany, and Austria, where such industries are strong and in high need of experts in the natural sciences. You might have known this had you researched markets before choosing to elect a degree in Chemistry.
The biotech industry is not tiny, in fact it is gigantic, in North America and in fact many of the major breakthroughs such as the Human Genome Project actually occurred in America. Biotech is mainly clustered around Boston, California (especially the Bay Area and San Diego), Maryland, and New Jersey. A lot of the European pharmaceutical companies actually developed biotech divisions by acquiring American biotech companies like Genentech. Europe's biotech scene is actually quite tiny compared to America's. Oh, and BTW my acquaintances who worked at Genentech told me that after Roche (the Swiss pharmaceutical giant) acquired them, the entire culture went straight to hell.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 PM

382 posts, read 804,378 times
The job market and economy were/are always fine. The fake recession made people think differently.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:54 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think the issue is there are jobs but many are specialized (if only because they want up to speed to workers and don't care to train.)
I do think that's a lot of it. I think employees had their own version of showrooming (the practice of shopping in B&M stores to learn about what's being sold, extract as much information from the sales staff and personal hands-on, and then go online to buy the product) - taking a job that offered great on-boarding, professional development, etc., and then when the skills are attained and there's enough of a work history, jumping to an employer that pays more in compensation instead of providing professional development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
The market itself sucks azz.
Rather, I think it is more accurate to say that the marketplace sucks (for employees, at least). It has changed - permanently (as much as anything is permanent) - to allow employers to better exploit the labor market in the interest of generating profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Until employers stop the bs with the impossible requirements
What would prompt them to do so?

I think a lot of folks are confusing these structural changes in the marketplace with a truly bad labor market. The effect on employees may seem the same, but the mechanics are different, and more importantly, the remediation is different: With a bad labor market, in the traditional sense, greater economic activity (growth) is the remedy. In this situation, with the new imbalance between the power of employees and employers structurally built into the system, greater economic activity doesn't do anything to address the kind of concerns the two posters I've quoted above are raising. The only thing that would address their concerns is a power shift in the marketplace, something that would only come from a reversal of political changes over the last few decades - something that some people here might support and that other people here wouldn't support.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:36 AM

150 posts, read 295,329 times
Americans tend to lack perspective when complaining about the job market. The current unemployment rate is 6.6% in the US

From this week's Economist here is a list of other Western countries with higher rates:

Britain 7.2%
Canada 7.0%
Euro area 12.0%
France 10.9%
Germany 6.8%
Netherlands 8.6%
Italy 12.9%
Spain 25.8%
Sweden 8.6%

Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
The job market and economy were/are always fine. The fake recession made people think differently.
You think it's a fake recession? !

Omg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment