Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:46 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,693,873 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm currently a senior in college (graduating in the Spring), looking for a job. I applied to a bunch of places, all of which were entry-level and they just sent me an email saying:

"Although your experience is very impressive, we have received a tremendous response for this position and have subsequently identified individuals with experience more closely aligned with our requirements."

I guess I should be expecting those messages 90 percent of the time..welcome to the real world I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 03:23 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times
I've been getting responses to about 15% of the jobs I've applied to. (I have a spreadsheet set up.) I've had a couple of interviews, a couple saying they weren't interested and a whole lot who just never respond. That does seem to be the way things are these days.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,390,176 times
Yep. That's the reply I get most of the time, and I'm 45 with experience. Does your school have a career center? Internships? You might want to go to the dept of labor office and talk to them-they may have leads.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:26 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Hey everyone, I'm currently a senior in college (graduating in the Spring), looking for a job. I applied to a bunch of places, all of which were entry-level and they just sent me an email saying:

"Although your experience is very impressive, we have received a tremendous response for this position and have subsequently identified individuals with experience more closely aligned with our requirements."

I guess I should be expecting those messages 90 percent of the time..welcome to the real world I guess.
Yes indeed, welcome to the real world. At the very least they where kind enough to let you know where you stand-you can now officially move on, many companies send the "Thank you for contacting us email" and nothing else.

Entry level is not really entry level in the sense of "don't worry if you did not graduate with X degree and it is ok if you do not have 2-3 years previous experience because we will train you". Entry level today is more of "Looking for grads with X degree (good luck if you don't have that degree) and 1-2 years of experience doing Y". And yes the new entry level pays around the same as the old entry level but when you have more applicants than job openings, including experienced applicants who are willing to take the pay cut, the shift in entry level is inevitable.

That does not mean you stop applying or you give up, it simply means you may have to readjust your career goals or it may simply take longer to reach that ideal job post grad. Still apply for the dream work, still pursue the companies that you want to work for but be open to other areas as well. Do not spend 6months+ unemployed looking for that dream job. If it comes to the point where you have to work as an intern (paid/no pay), work retail or some job that does not require a college degree then do it because the new grad smell wears off quickly.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:46 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,774 times
What are your qualifications? What field are you applying for? How awesome is your resume? All these things play a role in getting your foot in the door.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,980 times
Ya, welcome to the real world for sure. If you go through your school, your chances of landing a job are significantly better. Online is just a black hole. Another thing about the real world, is that your success is only about 50% related to your actual smarts. Most is networking, communications skills, leadership, and how you get along with others. So in other words, your 4.0 doesn't mean **** after your first day in the office.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,167,414 times
Did you apply to "a bunch" of jobs, or three entry-level jobs like you stated?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,580 times
I agree with the others here. Be glad they sent you an email at all telling you where you stand. Most employers just never respond back at all.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:36 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,693,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I've been getting responses to about 15% of the jobs I've applied to. (I have a spreadsheet set up.) I've had a couple of interviews, a couple saying they weren't interested and a whole lot who just never respond. That does seem to be the way things are these days.
Thank you. I should start doing that myself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Yep. That's the reply I get most of the time, and I'm 45 with experience. Does your school have a career center? Internships? You might want to go to the dept of labor office and talk to them-they may have leads.
Thank you. Yeah it does, I've been applying to many openings through the career center.Landed 2 Interviews but bombed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Yes indeed, welcome to the real world. At the very least they where kind enough to let you know where you stand-you can now officially move on, many companies send the "Thank you for contacting us email" and nothing else.

Entry level is not really entry level in the sense of "don't worry if you did not graduate with X degree and it is ok if you do not have 2-3 years previous experience because we will train you". Entry level today is more of "Looking for grads with X degree (good luck if you don't have that degree) and 1-2 years of experience doing Y". And yes the new entry level pays around the same as the old entry level but when you have more applicants than job openings, including experienced applicants who are willing to take the pay cut, the shift in entry level is inevitable.

That does not mean you stop applying or you give up, it simply means you may have to readjust your career goals or it may simply take longer to reach that ideal job post grad. Still apply for the dream work, still pursue the companies that you want to work for but be open to other areas as well. Do not spend 6months+ unemployed looking for that dream job. If it comes to the point where you have to work as an intern (paid/no pay), work retail or some job that does not require a college degree then do it because the new grad smell wears off quickly.
Thank you for the thorough advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
What are your qualifications? What field are you applying for? How awesome is your resume? All these things play a role in getting your foot in the door.
I'm an economics major, I've interned for 2 firms in the past, have leadership roles at 2 school organizations. I've been applying mainly to companies looking for an analyst etc, as well as any job seeking any major. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Ya, welcome to the real world for sure. If you go through your school, your chances of landing a job are significantly better. Online is just a black hole. Another thing about the real world, is that your success is only about 50% related to your actual smarts. Most is networking, communications skills, leadership, and how you get along with others. So in other words, your 4.0 doesn't mean **** after your first day in the office.
Thank you. Sadly, my social circle are all unemployed college students so I don't have anything to lead me on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Did you apply to "a bunch" of jobs, or three entry-level jobs like you stated?
I applied to about 20 jobs that are entry level. What really smacked me in the face was the 3 emails this morning saying I got rejected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I agree with the others here. Be glad they sent you an email at all telling you where you stand. Most employers just never respond back at all.
Definitely. I really respect the fact that they give closure.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,608 times
Do you have a career fair at your school and oncampus recruiting? That is probably where you will see entry level positions that are truly entry level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment