Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:22 PM

221 posts, read 336,020 times

Advertisements

I'm really curious now...what is this "robot in black" company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 PM

93 posts, read 188,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
I'm really curious now...what is this "robot in black" company?
Uniqlo.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:57 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,954,459 times
Like it or not, the company is paying you to represent them, and that includes what image they want to project. The scripted speech should become automatic and sound genuine in time, so long as you drop the belief that you are required to "act like a robot". Having worked in customer service, there were always phrases the companies wanted us to use. Big deal. I used them, and injected as much genuine feeling into them as possible so they didn't sound as though I were reading from a script. I honestly don't see the requirement of having to smile and be pleasant to their customers as a problem.

If you insist on having 100% freedom when working for someone, you would do better to think about working for yourself. You have a long working life ahead of you. All jobs may not be this regimented, but better get used to companies having requirements of their workers.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Like it or not, the company is paying you to represent them, and that includes what image they want to project. The scripted speech should become automatic and sound genuine in time, so long as you drop the belief that you are required to "act like a robot". Having worked in customer service, there were always phrases the companies wanted us to use. Big deal. I used them, and injected as much genuine feeling into them as possible so they didn't sound as though I were reading from a script. I honestly don't see the requirement of having to smile and be pleasant to their customers as a problem.

If you insist on having 100% freedom when working for someone, you would do better to think about working for yourself. You have a long working life ahead of you. All jobs may not be this regimented, but better get used to companies having requirements of their workers.
Did you read my earlier post? This is what the company forces/expects you to do according to reviews. I haven't even started working there, and I'm already dreading it.

"Cons – Declining wages in expanding stores, Management is very gossipy, the Japanese managers are not aware of the unfairness that the supervisors show, the training process is borderline fraternity hazing (they make you run in laps and say 6 standard phrases with your hands up around the store).

-Must wear “pure black,” but once the clothing is washed 3 or 4 times, it fades slightly and does not meet “pure black” requirements. This happens even with soap designed for black clothing, so my uniforms cost more than $50/mo.

Impersonal, robotic phrasebooks we must use to feign eliteness in order to give off the aura of professionalism. I literally see customers scoff at the fake scripted speeches. I speak to them as I would colloquially and see a better response and gain their respect through it
."

Last edited by xhayatox; 03-16-2014 at 03:36 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 03:49 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,592,426 times
Look. It's a job. You needed a job. They gave you a job. Nobody else offered you a job. You accepted this job. It is just a means of making money to pay the bills. It does not define you unless you let it. So until you find and are offered a better job, you suck it up ,put on your black clothes, smile wide and be the best darned robot that company has ever seen.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:06 PM

50,885 posts, read 36,563,313 times
This doesn't sound awful to me. My brother, after having to retire as an auto mechanic due to a back injury, now works as a manager at a national auto parts chain. At 58 years old, he is required to lead his team in a "cheer" each morning ("Gimme an A - A!") all while forming the letters with his body as he says them (think "YMCA"). He laughs about it. He'd be a fool to quit over something so silly, with so many others who are desperate for jobs. This is nothing new. I got written up at Dominos for not wearing my hat when I went up to the customer's door to deliver their pizza (they had "spy" houses) and that was 25 years ago. Just find a sense of humor about it and be grateful you have a job.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This doesn't sound awful to me. My brother, after having to retire as an auto mechanic due to a back injury, now works as a manager at a national auto parts chain. At 58 years old, he is required to lead his team in a "cheer" each morning ("Gimme an A - A!") all while forming the letters with his body as he says them (think "YMCA"). He laughs about it. He'd be a fool to quit over something so silly, with so many others who are desperate for jobs. This is nothing new. I got written up at Dominos for not wearing my hat when I went up to the customer's door to deliver their pizza (they had "spy" houses) and that was 25 years ago. Just find a sense of humor about it and be grateful you have a job.

Difference is, your brother performed his cheer routines as a way to motivate his team and have a laugh about it. My job will require me to do it in a way to embarrass and humiliate us and make us look like fools. So right now I'm going to send out a barrage of applications to places in hopes I can get hired somewhere else, so that I can escape this hellhole of a job I'm about to enter. I just can't do it.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post

I've been unemployed for a few months

and now once an employment opportunity arises, you're whining.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,719,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
Difference is, your brother performed his cheer routines as a way to motivate his team and have a laugh about it. My job will require me to do it in a way to embarrass and humiliate us and make us look like fools. So right now I'm going to send out a barrage of applications to places in hopes I can get hired somewhere else, so that I can escape this hellhole of a job I'm about to enter. I just can't do it.
Good idea. With your attitude you won't last long anyway. Of course, you'll have to explain your stretches of unemployment and why you couldn't hold onto an entry level retail job to prospective employers. I think that without significant changes, you are looking at a life of under employment at best and frequent unemployment.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
How about you actually work there before you start complaining about the place? Going in with the atitude you have, you will not last long because everything is already a negative with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment