Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:34 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
I update my resume every time there is a significant accomplishment. Updating your resume is not just for when you are job-hunting. I enjoy my job and I have no short- or long-term plans to send my resume anywhere, but you never know. Keep it up to date at ALL times, no excuses.

At each job, I keep a document that lists the months of the year on the left and the key accomplishments on the right. At the end of each month I reflect on what I'm most proud of and make sure I have at least two major accomplishments documented. (If I don't have two, I know I need to step up my game!) It also makes writing my self-assessment a breeze at the end of the year, and those small victories back in February aren't forgotten when December rolls around.

MARRY ME, YELLOW BELLE!!!

That Yellow Belle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 01:25 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
It's not difficult to recall accomplishments. What is difficult is to describe them quantitatively, when there is the tendency to remember them qualitatively. Employers want to see measurable results on resumes, and you can describe the qualitative and subjective in the interview. Of course, therein lies the difficulty in getting to the interview because your resume has to be top notch.

What I do is write down everything I've done-- and I mean everything, even if it seems minor. Then I look at the list and place everything into categories and go through each one and redefine what I did into an accomplishment where I could measure it. What I did was keep track of reports, anything I drafted, email, etc. I used all of these to come up with a number or a way to use numbers to describe what I achieved. It's a good habit to take a look at your resume once a month, even if you're employed and add anything new.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:15 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
The rule of thumb I give out is this:
When you start a job, keep a notebook handy.
Keep track of what you do daily for the first few/several weeks.
After a month or so, keep track weekly.
After a few months, keep track monthly.
I agree, except I would keep doing the weekly.

It is easy to throw away data.
It is not easy to remember an accomplishment from 2 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment