Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM

571 posts, read 1,201,074 times

Advertisements

Back to the OP's point about reverse sexism - I hate seeing it and I hate seeing it even more by self described feminists.

I can't tell you how many moms I speak with that villainize boys on a daily basis:
"Girls need to be empowered. Boys already have it made."
"Girls need to hear how exceptional they are several times a day."
"I only buy the fundraising items from girls."
"I shop at female owned businesses to show my support."
I heard a teacher recently say to the girls in class "stay away from boys as long as you can, they are bad news."

Some of the moms making these comments have sons. It is terribly unfair to punish the upcoming generation for slights other people have felt in the past. They have nothing to do with it.

It's unfair and very confusing to young boys.

Further I know in schools, there is a push for girls to become more focused on STEM careers. While this is great, I don't think they should feel that they have to make up for industry gaps if that's not where their interest lies. They should not feel if they are lacking because they choose a "traditional" female career.

Add to all this craziness, the fact that boys have a higher drop out rate, a higher suicide rate - none of that matters to adults who continue to berate little boys.

How about understanding what "equal" really means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
I know there is a backlash against males but I also know there are some very bright young women who recognize this foolishness and don't put up with it.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,594 times
Fear not, most of the males attending engineering, physics, math and related college courses are from other countries. American women can take nagging lazy men 101, while American males can take passed out drunk on the couch 101 in the same classroom. The advanced course is passed out drunk playing Halo 101. While advanced women play who's the biggest biddy on Facebook. We must prepare our American children for the American 21st century.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
My wife was attending a "Girls in Technology" event that was organized by the "Women in Technology" group. One of the female executives on the panel who is a VP and a CIO actually made a claim to a group of high-school girls in the audience that "if she receives two identical resumes from a boy and a girl, she always selects the girl, so you should use that to your advantage!!"

My wife and I (when she told me) were shocked at this statement coming from an executive!
  1. In our 14 years of experience in IT, we know that no two resumes can ever be identical!
  2. Even if (hypothetically speaking), we had two identical resumes, we would interview the candidates and pick the one most suited for the job.
This is just setting a wrong expectation with the younger generation of women. A similar incident happened in my son's classroom a month ago when both he and a girl raised their hands to answer a question. The teacher said, "Both of you raised your hands at the same time so I don't know who to pick. But I will pick (insert girl's name here) since she is a girl!!" My son was surprised and just couldn't understand what was wrong with him being a boy... ...how we handled the situation is a thread for another day.

But are we over-compensating now for women just because women were (and maybe, still are) being discriminated?
I hope someone sues this piece of **** exec. This is the essence of discrimination. She should not have a job.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:11 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
My wife was attending a "Girls in Technology" event that was organized by the "Women in Technology" group. One of the female executives on the panel who is a VP and a CIO actually made a claim to a group of high-school girls in the audience that "if she receives two identical resumes from a boy and a girl, she always selects the girl, so you should use that to your advantage!!"

My wife and I (when she told me) were shocked at this statement coming from an executive!
  1. In our 14 years of experience in IT, we know that no two resumes can ever be identical!
  2. Even if (hypothetically speaking), we had two identical resumes, we would interview the candidates and pick the one most suited for the job.
This is just setting a wrong expectation with the younger generation of women. A similar incident happened in my son's classroom a month ago when both he and a girl raised their hands to answer a question. The teacher said, "Both of you raised your hands at the same time so I don't know who to pick. But I will pick (insert girl's name here) since she is a girl!!" My son was surprised and just couldn't understand what was wrong with him being a boy... ...how we handled the situation is a thread for another day.

But are we over-compensating now for women just because women were (and maybe, still are) being discriminated?

Did anyone think that maybe she is choosing women because she can pay them less money for the same work?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
This is not uncommon, in my almost 20 years of professional experience I've seen women managers gave preferential treatment to female candidates but the ones that will get promotion will be the one that hires the best candidate for the job. You don't want to give others the impression that you hire only females then not many males want to stay on your team.

When I was in college, I worked for a female professor who hires both guys and girls but all the guys do all the work and the girls just sit around and don't do any work. In the end, I moved on to a better job in the school and the girls didn't do anything and didn't get anywhere just remained at the same job.

Preferential treatment will only get you so far for both the employee and employer.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:42 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
the guy talking about IQ's had better pony up some actual recent research. He's wrong...
He's right, actually.

Health Correlator: There are more geniuses among men than among women, and more idiots too

The IQ curve for men is wider/shorter. What it means is that while the average IQ is the same for both men and women, men tend to occupy a larger portion of the extreme ends (both on the high-IQ side and the low). So there are more geniuses, but there are more idiots as well. If one assumes that a STEM-field employee requires (or even encourages) a base intelligence higher than average, it would be more populated by men. That's not the same as saying "men are smarter than women", but hopefully I don't have to explain why.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
He's right, actually.

Health Correlator: There are more geniuses among men than among women, and more idiots too

The IQ curve for men is wider/shorter. What it means is that while the average IQ is the same for both men and women, men tend to occupy a larger portion of the extreme ends (both on the high-IQ side and the low). So there are more geniuses, but there are more idiots as well. If one assumes that a STEM-field employee requires (or even encourages) a base intelligence higher than average, it would be more populated by men. That's not the same as saying "men are smarter than women", but hopefully I don't have to explain why.
Genius should not be confused with muti-degree higher than average. I also don't understand the point in pointing out minorities on either end of the curve, especially when it seems to be average men taking the time to bother.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:45 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
He's right, actually.

that is old research.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
that is old research.
It's newer than the research that you've provided. How much do you think society's intellect has changed in 7 years, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment