Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:56 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,049 times

Advertisements

Could you try calling her 15 minutes before the meeting time and saying something like, "Hi, I'm just double-checking that our meeting at 1:00pm is still on for today. Great! See you in 15 minutes!" Or make it 30 minutes before, or whatever. But hopefully it would serve as a polite reminder to her that the meeting is soon, and not later or whenever she feels like showing up.

EDIT: Either that, or just start showing up automatically ten minutes later. That would line up right around the time that she shows up, or at worst, you're only waiting five minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
You shouldn't wait for people because that inconveniences the people that are there on time. Why should I have to wait 10 minutes because Tardy Tara can't get herself there on time? The only exception are if there is an accident. Rain isn't an excuse because we all know that it takes longer to get somewhere if it's raining.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times
3-7 minutes.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
I learned the hard way to be on time for big appts. The largest sale I ever did my GM made us late because of his smoking addiction. When we got their CFO said "Do you know how much of my labor time you just wasted?" We calculated it was thousands with so many mngrs and C levels there. I got to fall on the sword even though I don't smoke.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:13 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,731,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I have to admit, the bolded line above irked me. It's like you're placing all of it on me, when she's the one that is consistently late. I can allow her to be late constantly, but at that point, she's being disrespectful to me. I'm very lenient at work when it comes to people walking all over me, but I do have my limits.

Um, aren't scheduled meetings the time and place to be punctual? In all honesty, this is just her personality. I've never worked closely with someone like her, so it's new to me. It's an adjustment period.

I have been paying attention to her schedule. At first, I'd schedule our meetings when she had more free time, but I have since noticed that the only time she's really not late is when she has a meeting prior to ours. So, I've started scheduling our meetings back-to-back with something else. Bonus points if it's in the same conference room. Bigger bonus points if I'm in the prior meeting with her. LMAO!!!

Like I said, I'm trying to do my part. But being consistently late to meetings, with me (her norm is about 10 mins), is a problem for me. And me writing here is "doing my part" to see if I'm wrong about having to wait so long. She's definitely not late when we have a meeting with our boss or a group of co-workers. It's typically when it's just her and I.
My apologies, not what I had intended, and I was talking about her and you. I understand that she is the one missing time and messing up your schedule, but there are ways you can help to get her there. Send her a reminder email or send her an email meeting request that automatically sends you an accepted email back. If she is working on her computer she will be reminded several times before the meeting begins. If she cannot deal with that and is still late call her phone. I know all this sounds like a lot, but it's really the only way to streamline this. If you tell on her most likely she will take it the wrong way, as she already seems to act entitled to whatever she wants (including your time). Meetings should be punctual, but the rebuttal for someone being late should not. I see you honestly care, and I commend you for that. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I'm just wondering how long you'll wait for the other person(s) at a meeting. Does it matter if they're a peer, below you, above you? Does it depend on how long the meeting is supposed to last? 30 min, 60, etc?

I have a co-worker who loves making meetings, but she is consistently late to them. I have waited sometimes, up to 15 mins (for a 30 min meeting). I usually have my laptop, so I can continue to work on other things, but it just irks me. There are times, also, when I have waited over 10 mins and left. Then she says, "I'm here, where are you, did you forget?" then I get to the room and say, "no, I was waiting for 10 mins but decided you'll call me when you get here."

As an admin, I do work "for her", however, hierarchy wise, she is a peer.

What do you think? Wait, leave? Does me having my laptop to continue working make any difference? Thoughts on how to handle this with grade? I know it's rude on their end, but if that's their M.O. there's not much you can do. I hate waiting for people who are late and I'm trying not to let this get to me, but well, it is.
5 minutes unless they send a message about the cause. I recommend starting the meeting without them if anyone has a lead on the topic and issue to solve

Old 03-24-2014, 07:06 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
in Switzerland or Germany this thread would never exist. Perhaps there's something deeper to reflect on here.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:10 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
in Switzerland or Germany this thread would never exist. Perhaps there's something deeper to reflect on here.
Agreed I loved Germany and wish I could live there, at time. Such efficiency.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:19 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
The amount of time I wait for someone else who has scheduled a meeting is "Zero", if you schedule the meeting you should be there when I walk in at the scheduled time. If you are not there I go back to doing the work I am supposed to be doing since I do not get paid to wait on you to finally show up to a meeting you picked the time for.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:38 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,149,331 times
5 mins. max then the door closes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment