Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:40 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times

Advertisements

I had an job interview last week. What an experience!

I was so pumped about the opportunity! The offices were two miles from my home. Prestige Employer. Great Pay and Benefits. Beautiful Offices. Sharp looking group of people in the offices and cubes. Interesting duties. My own office. Opportunities for growth.

Trouble is THE BOSS APPEARED TO BE A TOTAL JERK.

Do you ever meet people from the moment you set your eyes on them you just hate them? I tried to give him a chance but the more we talked the more I hated him. It was a personality mismatch!

What would you do in this situation? I was asked to come back for a second interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:49 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Ummm...go back for a second interview.

Are you really thinking of dropping what you describe as a great opportunity because you may not like who your boss would be?

Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 PM

334 posts, read 585,440 times
Maybe you can try to determine if you will have to deal with your boss much or if you will have enough autonomy to be able to avoid him most days.

Go back for the second interview! See what you think after than second go-round.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM

402 posts, read 746,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Ummm...go back for a second interview.

Are you really thinking of dropping what you describe as a great opportunity because you may not like who your boss would be?
In before locked because "writing belongs in the fiction forum".

But yes, since most people don't quit their job, they quit their boss, it would be a legitimate concern. I wouldn't quit a different job for this one, but since the OP is well written for being long term unemployed and concerned that nobody will ever hire him because of his resume gap, ripe age and physical appearance combined with being fired numerous times in the past, this does seem like a perfect fictional opportunity for him.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Aren't you planning on moving in a year when your wife retires? Do you just plan to be there for a year?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:27 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
In before locked because "writing belongs in the fiction forum".

But yes, since most people don't quit their job, they quit their boss, it would be a legitimate concern. I wouldn't quit a different job for this one, but since the OP is well written for being long term unemployed and concerned that nobody will ever hire him because of his resume gap, ripe age and physical appearance combined with being fired numerous times in the past, this does seem like a perfect fictional opportunity for him.
I guess I just assumed he was unemployed. The OP seems to be pretty hasty. He met his potential boss for a while and decided all else is not do-able? Seems like another encounter (in the very least) is in order. And if he needs work, and this place is so fantastic, and all that jazz, take the job and try to make it work. If, after some time it does not, look for an internal move or to another org. It's easier to find something when you are employed, especially with a respected place. That was my thinking anyway.

Mostly though, I was thinking that the OP met someone for a little bit. They know very little about them, or about the type of day he was having.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:55 PM

402 posts, read 746,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I guess I just assumed he was unemployed. The OP seems to be pretty hasty. He met his potential boss for a while and decided all else is not do-able? Seems like another encounter (in the very least) is in order. And if he needs work, and this place is so fantastic, and all that jazz, take the job and try to make it work. If, after some time it does not, look for an internal move or to another org. It's easier to find something when you are employed, especially with a respected place. That was my thinking anyway.

Mostly though, I was thinking that the OP met someone for a little bit. They know very little about them, or about the type of day he was having.
There's nothing wrong with your thinking. You just need to take the scenario with a grain of salt because it is fabricated. He makes up situations to generate discussion, possibly because he is trying to write a book or something, but in any case, you have to discuss the situation on its generic merits like you did above and can't ask him to get into specifics because there are none.

He could choose to phrase it as would you take a job where everything was in line with your goals in expectations except you got a bad vibe from your potential boss in the interview?, but instead he makes it seem like something has happened to him and if you check all his threads, you'll see that there never appears to be a payoff from the situation unless the moderator actually locks the thread and ends the madness.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
The OP publishes many made up posts, I doubt they had an interview.

Part of working in a group is respect, I would just try to get some respect and have a mutual working relationship. No need to get extreme. Unless someone physically assaults me I'm not going anywhere.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:25 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
The OP publishes many made up posts, I doubt they had an interview.
A 250 thread count in just 7 months. Still not enough for a good set of sheets ...

Old 03-24-2014, 04:26 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I had an job interview last week. What an experience!

I was so pumped about the opportunity! The offices were two miles from my home. Prestige Employer. Great Pay and Benefits. Beautiful Offices. Sharp looking group of people in the offices and cubes. Interesting duties. My own office. Opportunities for growth.

Trouble is THE BOSS APPEARED TO BE A TOTAL JERK.

Do you ever meet people from the moment you set your eyes on them you just hate them? I tried to give him a chance but the more we talked the more I hated him. It was a personality mismatch!

What would you do in this situation? I was asked to come back for a second interview.
Was it better than the group interview, or is this the same company?

Since we're on the subject... How did that group interview go? You never got back to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment