Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Hey everyone, I'm currently a senior in college (graduating in the Spring), looking for a job. I applied to a bunch of places, all of which were entry-level and they just sent me an email saying:

"Although your experience is very impressive, we have received a tremendous response for this position and have subsequently identified individuals with experience more closely aligned with our requirements."

I guess I should be expecting those messages 90 percent of the time..welcome to the real world I guess.
One word of advice- getting a job in any field is very difficult these days. Dont take the rejection personally and do NOT let it get to you. I know that is hard but it does you no good.

Some job positions are opened up just to comply with HR rules even though they already know who they will hire, some people hire based on instinct vs experience. Sometimes there is just so much competition or you may have been tired and gave a weird vibe at an interview. There are just so many factors.

I say work really hard to polish your resume. Check out resume tip books from the library. Practice interviews with friends and when you don't get a job, think that it is their loss and you will find something better.

I have been in this position quite a few times and getting down only affected my future interviews. When I learned to understand that there was no problem with me and solely focused on bettering my resume and interview skills, more opportunities opened up.

For all of those looking for a job stay positive and vibrant and pro-active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 09:28 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,830 times
No worries. It is not unusual to spent 6 to 12 months to even get a temp position because they want temps to have experience too. Afterwards, prepare to be a "permatemp" for another 1-3 years. It can literally take you 2-4 years before you finally land a full time permanent position with benefits.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:34 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
In addition to what everyone else said if you are bombing interviews then you need to work on those skills. Google interview questions, practice in the mirror, learn what TO say and what NOT to say, etc. Learn how to dress and how NOT to dress. I have interviewed many people and hired as well and 1 thing that hurts candidates is not being dressed correctly and not having showered! If you come to me with jeans and a t-shirt with messy hair, you are already out of the running.

And if you come there badmouthing an old employee, BYE!

Last but not least, if you are interviewing with a company, read up on them and mention things you read and how it makes you WANT to work with the company. I had a candidate ONCE tell me how interesting and amazing he thought what we did was at the company. When I asked him "what do we do?" He couldn't respond. Basically at the end I told him he wasn't getting the position and next time research the company beforehand- I felt bad for him but WOW that was terrible!

Look at temp agencies too!

BTW as great as the large companies are, you are competing in a tough job market, don't neglect the small companies, they can give you 1-2 years of solid experience doing a variety of things that will come in handy later for those large jobs. OR that small company can grow and you can grow and profit with it

Old 03-29-2014, 03:22 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Keep applying. The more interviews (bomb or not) the better you'll become. Remember, you're an asset to somebody's team. You just have to keep searching for the right one. In the mean time, take ANY job (flipping burgers?) cuz it's easier to get a job when you have a job.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:45 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,693,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
One word of advice- getting a job in any field is very difficult these days. Dont take the rejection personally and do NOT let it get to you. I know that is hard but it does you no good.

Some job positions are opened up just to comply with HR rules even though they already know who they will hire, some people hire based on instinct vs experience. Sometimes there is just so much competition or you may have been tired and gave a weird vibe at an interview. There are just so many factors.

I say work really hard to polish your resume. Check out resume tip books from the library. Practice interviews with friends and when you don't get a job, think that it is their loss and you will find something better.

I have been in this position quite a few times and getting down only affected my future interviews. When I learned to understand that there was no problem with me and solely focused on bettering my resume and interview skills, more opportunities opened up.

For all of those looking for a job stay positive and vibrant and pro-active.
Thank you. I've been attempting to numb rejection a lot better than the first time around, and I take it as something that will happen to anyone, unless you're a harvard grad who cured cancer.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:14 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Only 3? When I first started applying for work out of college I couldn't get anything to stick. I was fortunate enough to take on a well paid internship that lead into a full-time position.

Even for the few years following the start of my professional career it was hard landing interviews that were worthwhile. I could land ones that paid horrible, but I was rejected for ones that often paid well. The way I saw it, it's not always about being turned down, often times it comes down to what's available at the time. Everyone fits into a category and not all applicants or positions cater to your background. It takes work to get work, and you should treat finding work as work. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:20 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,713,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Thank you. I interviewed on campus a few weeks back, I was told I would eventually get a yes or no, a few weeks passed, and I assumed I got dinged. A month and a half later, I received a voicemail from some hiring manager, stating I wouldn't be moving on to the next applicant pool. So I called, and wanted to ask if I could get some feedback in regards to the rejection. She sounded condescending and really disgruntled, she came up with some excuse and hung up. I've applied to about 25 places now, and it seems if they're interested, they'll get back to you within a few days. I'm gonna assume I got rejected from the other 24 places and keep on applying!
The one thing I don't understand is how employers relieve themselves of any liability to tell you why you can't move on. I understand you have X amount of applicants but there is no one on one service anymore. The fact that the manager was disgruntled has happened to me before too, as if asking for feedback is forbidden lol.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:00 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
The one thing I don't understand is how employers relieve themselves of any liability to tell you why you can't move on.
That's one of the problems with the situation. By saying "employers" you are lumping them all together. That is not good.

It benefits a company to speak with every candidate. It gives them a great PR opportunity. It lets them show they treat all people with respect.

When a candidate doesn't get a response or someone won't talk with candidates on the phone. It is usually a sign of an employee or whole department being lazy! It's not standard procedure and you should not consider that company a good company to work for! They are not running their HR department correctly and that could be a sign of more problems inside that organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment