Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 AM

31 posts, read 51,335 times

Advertisements

Let's say that you are unhappy at your current job. You get a job offer for a position a step higher on your career ladder. However, the job offer is for the same salary you are currently making, and the company is firm despite negotiation efforts. The benefits at the new position is better- more time off, better coverage, pension plan, and significantly less benefit-related deductions per pay period.
Your current living environment is ideal for your family. If you move to an area near the new location, it would mean higher costs of living and possibly lower quality of living too. But if you stick it out at your current job, that would mean staying in a job you are not satisfied with, lack of career advancement and job security, and mediocre benefits. There have been no other job leads despite months of trying.
Would you take the job offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,868,790 times
Personally, I would. Put in the time at the higher position and use this to shop for jobs at that level or higher.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,154,262 times
Yes, I would.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 AM

6,986 posts, read 7,088,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamna929 View Post
Let's say that you are unhappy at your current job. You get a job offer for a position a step higher on your career ladder. However, the job offer is for the same salary you are currently making, and the company is firm despite negotiation efforts. The benefits at the new position is better- more time off, better coverage, pension plan, and significantly less benefit-related deductions per pay period.
Your current living environment is ideal for your family. If you move to an area near the new location, it would mean higher costs of living and possibly lower quality of living too. But if you stick it out at your current job, that would mean staying in a job you are not satisfied with, lack of career advancement and job security, and mediocre benefits. There have been no other job leads despite months of trying.
Would you take the job offer?
Since I consider proximity to family to be very important, I would not relocate for a job unless I had absolutely no choice. So I would stay at my current job. I work to maintain a quality of life during non-working hours. I don't work for job satisfaction, since I realize that isn't going to happen.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:51 PM

31 posts, read 51,335 times
Thanks. The company is requesting a decision by Monday, and we're still undecided.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:06 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,773,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamna929 View Post
Thanks. The company is requesting a decision by Monday, and we're still undecided.
I would ask what the promotion potential is, and what the bonus/pay raise program is on a yearly basis (if you have not done so already?). I wouldn't want to stick around with a company to just stay stagnant, even if that means taking your family somewhere new. Depends on how you feel about being around your other family. If you are very close it would be difficult to up and leave, you would most likely miss them a lot and want to go back. If you can still get together for the major holidays per year with them and you are okay with them living their lives and you living yours then go for it. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,824,641 times
Yup I would go for it.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:53 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,749,023 times
Nothing worse than going to work and being miserable. It will and does affect your work.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:18 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,325,142 times
You never know, if you say no, they just might budge on that salary negotiation. Since you are currently employed, you are negotiating from a position of strength. Months of trying isn't that long in this environment anyway.. I wish you well in your choice tomorrow morning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment