Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,789 times

Advertisements

Today I was pleaasently surprised. I spoke to a HR rep on Friday, had a good telephone interview and then was told I wold be contacted by Tuesday (tomorrow) about our next steps. The HR person told me that she will speak with the hiring manager about me and then we would go from there.

Sadly, the hiring manager required a person who had more experience in a different business segment. I received a call first thing this morning from the HR rep. explaining that she apologized that she didn't know this before and for taking my time on Friday and that they were going to have to pass on any next steps.

I find that really refreshing compared to some of the other unprofessional HR and hiring managers I have encountered. Here was a person that got back to me immediately when the mistake was uncovered, apologized for that, thanked me for my time and told me that she would keep me in mind for other opportunities in the future.

No "never calling back", no trying to hide the truth about the mistake, etc. Maybe there is hope?

It's ashame this is not the norm. At least from my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 12:17 PM

251 posts, read 341,498 times
he/she was probably new

Old 04-07-2014, 12:39 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
he/she was probably new :d
+1

Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
Today I was pleaasently surprised. I spoke to a HR rep on Friday, had a good telephone interview and then was told I wold be contacted by Tuesday (tomorrow) about our next steps. The HR person told me that she will speak with the hiring manager about me and then we would go from there.

Sadly, the hiring manager required a person who had more experience in a different business segment. I received a call first thing this morning from the HR rep. explaining that she apologized that she didn't know this before and for taking my time on Friday and that they were going to have to pass on any next steps.

I find that really refreshing compared to some of the other unprofessional HR and hiring managers I have encountered. Here was a person that got back to me immediately when the mistake was uncovered, apologized for that, thanked me for my time and told me that she would keep me in mind for other opportunities in the future.

No "never calling back", no trying to hide the truth about the mistake, etc. Maybe there is hope?

It's ashame this is not the norm. At least from my experience.

HR people like this are few....

Old 04-07-2014, 01:16 PM

2,126 posts, read 1,797,037 times
I had a similar experience with a great HR department for a position that i ultimately didn't get. The process took over 3 months and included having to fly out for a in person interview but from the first contact HR was very responsive and kept me informed with what was going on including letting me know that delays that were caused by decision makers having to go on travel.

While I have also experienced some of the typical problems with HR departments that are frequently posted here I think that competent HR departments are probably more common than we think, we don't hear about them because they don't give us a reason to complain

Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
I actually had a great experience with the HR department at my current job.

She contacted me after seeing my resume on Indeed. This is a company with tens of thousands of employees at any given time. She always followed up with me, as promised, kept me up-to-date on everything and helped me move up my start date ASAP. (This was great, since I was unemployed at the time.)

Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I can't say I've ever had a pleasant experience with HR so I try to limit my exposure to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment