Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:37 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times

Advertisements

I have had many interviews where the interviewer has made it clear that the candidate that will likely be selected will be cheap and inexpensive. To me, these interviews were such a huge waste of time, I knew from that point that I wouldn't be considered highly due to my education and experience and price. The way I see myself saving everyone's time and money is just being blunt and asking what the salary range is for the position during the phone interview. Would this be something to consider?

As of right now I do not ask salary until they have chosen a candidate or they bring it up during the in-person interview. However, I'm sick of wasting my time and effort (and paid leave time) to go to an in-person interview to only be passed over because they would rather hire someone with less experience and ultimately low pay.

What do you think about job postings without salary ranges? Do you ask during the phone interview what the salary range is?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
I agree I get why they do it, if they post a scale everyone wants top of the scale. That said it's frustrating not knowing if I'm going to an interview for a job that starts at 30k or 70k.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
I don't ask about the salary information during the phone screening. What I have found is that the salary is not set in stone, anyway. For the last 3 jobs, I ended up getting more money than originally offered or expected by the company.

For my last job, I was bumped to a higher salary grade and position. I was already making more than the salary range for the applied position. I had more experience than needed.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 9,469 times
is this as bad as asking me to tell them (employer) what my salary demands are? isn't that "Catch 22?" I'm too high, I'm out of the running; I'm too low, I've undervalued myself...

Old 04-05-2014, 09:12 AM

545 posts, read 1,485,187 times
It's helpful to see it sometimes. You can weed out the companies that are trying to overwork and underpay. That being said, my experience has been that they will ask what I currently make at some point (always tell the truth - they can usually find it out anyways). If they make an offer it'll be a few thousand more than that. If they ask me what I'm looking for, I'll tell them that I currently make X and I'd like to get a little more than that. Entirely reasonable and, as long as it's not outside their range and they like you, it won't take you out of the running.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:41 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
I have never been told a salary or range either when applying or recruited for jobs, except those in the public sector. In the public sector, it is routine to get a range.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:13 PM

56 posts, read 58,860 times
I see no reason to disclose current or previous salary. My salary goals are based entirely upon my understanding and acceptance of the salary that I need or want. If the salary that I need or want is significantly less than my current or previous salary, it's my choice. Maybe I don't care about money and just want a job doing something that I love.

Bottom line, if asked about my current or previous salary, my answer would be........it's irrelevant. Just tell me the salary offered for the job for which I am interested.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeOz View Post
I see no reason to disclose current or previous salary. My salary goals are based entirely upon my understanding and acceptance of the salary that I need or want. If the salary that I need or want is significantly less than my current or previous salary, it's my choice. Maybe I don't care about money and just want a job doing something that I love.

Bottom line, if asked about my current or previous salary, my answer would be........it's irrelevant. Just tell me the salary offered for the job for which I am interested.
I agree with this comment. I think I just need to take the helms a little more and make them want me, not the other way around.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:35 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
IMO, I find that it's a sign of an employer looking to scrape the bottom of the barrel for cheap workers. I avoid them if possible. 4 years ago, nearly every job ad I saw did not offer wage/salary ranges. Today, many do. In fact, most do in areas where demand is highest. Naturally, I have been applying to those ads almost exclusively.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeNYU14 View Post
is this as bad as asking me to tell them (employer) what my salary demands are? isn't that "Catch 22?" I'm too high, I'm out of the running; I'm too low, I've undervalued myself...
The salary question is a tricky business, that's for sure. A few says ago, I was applying online for a position and the APPLICATION asked for salary desired. I wasn't even talking to a human being yet! I tried to enter my standard evasive answer-Negotiable. The system said: ERROR! It would not let me go on to the next page without me entering a numerical value. After considering my options, I finally entered $0.01/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search