Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM

624 posts, read 763,177 times

Advertisements

Isn't the OSHA limit 40 pounds per individual?

Don't eff up your back for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Why in the WORLD should someone whose jobs is IT and based on knowledge of computers be asked and expected to do ANY sort of manual labor whatsoever, much less lift 100 lbs? That's blatantly ridiculous. My response would be, flat out, "that's not my job," because it isn't. You don't ask the NBA players to sweep the gym floor do you? No one expects the secretaries in a lawyer's office to do the grounds maintenance, do they? When's the last time the bookkeeper of a company was asked to paint the storage closets? A boss with half a brain should know better than that.

The whole reason I have had jobs in offices doing administrative/clerical and applied myself in terms of knowing Microsoft Office etc is because I DESPISE any sort of manual labor whatsoever. I've tried it, I stink at it, it's just not who or what I am. Heck you risk a sneer in response from me asking me to lift anything more than 10 pounds, and a request for 100 lbs is going to get you a response that's most emphatically one of "you MUST think I'm crazy."

I am NOT a manual labor worker, if it I were, I would've applied for a job at the factory driving a forklift truck. You don't ask people to perform jobs they're not suited for, you accept them for what they are and utilize their strengths and respect their weaknesses and don't violate those boundaries.

I worked as a legal assistant at a law firm where I had to frequently shovel the front walks because I was the first one there every morning. The partners rarely arrived before 9:30, and the 25-year-old associate had a "bad back".

I worked in the front office of a factory once where grime was an issue. The owner of the company threw a fit if there was grime on anything - it was impossible to keep things as clean as he wanted them. We had a cleaning crew evenings, but lots of times he'd insist that we (the secretaries) get a bucket and rag and scrub the computer screens,
window sills, etc. He'd get mad that I didn't notice it was dirty or didn't do a good enough job cleaning it. He'd say, dp you call that clean? Who cleans your house?
I told him my DH did most of it. I wasn't asked how good I was at CLEANING when I took the job.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 04-30-2014 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment