Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 08:19 AM

4 posts, read 35,567 times

Advertisements

I've been feeling discomfort/pain in my stomach for over a month and my doctor scheduled me an endoscopy procedure. As soon as I got the appointment 3 weeks ago, I sent out time off request at work to take one day off for the procedure. My manager just replied back to me this week and denied my request saying there's already 2 people off that day( the company can only allow 2 people off generally due to staffing. However I do see 3 people off the same day sometimes) and yes I did explain in my request as to why I need the day off.

I didn't even know it's ok for your work to say no to your medical necessity.

I'm really worried about my stomach I don't know what to do? It's up to the doc not me to schedule a date so I can't pick a day that is more " available" to me.

Any input would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:22 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guandekuan View Post
I've been feeling discomfort/pain in my stomach for over a month and my doctor scheduled me an endoscopy procedure. As soon as I got the appointment 3 weeks ago, I sent out time off request at work to take one day off for the procedure. My manager just replied back to me this week and denied my request saying there's already 2 people off that day( the company can only allow 2 people off generally due to staffing. However I do see 3 people off the same day sometimes) and yes I did explain in my request as to why I need the day off.

I didn't even know it's ok for your work to say no to your medical necessity.

I'm really worried about my stomach I don't know what to do? It's up to the doc not me to schedule a date so I can't pick a day that is more " available" to me.

Any input would be appreciated.
Wow are you serious? Of course you can tell your doctor that day doesn't work for you. Find out from your manager what dates will work and then schedule one of them with your doctor.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
You're entitled to time off under FMLA, but it has to be for a "serious medical condition." In your case, I don't think this would qualify, since you don't even knw what it is. I'm not sure there is a requirement to approve your leave, but it just makes good management sense. Is there more here that you haven't told us? What would he say if he were asked why he made this decision? Do you have a history of taking excessive leave, what kind of work do you do? Is there a system in place to provide back-up for absent workers? Give us more info.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:27 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
If there is a manager above the one who disapproved your time off, you could appeal to him/her, but that could backfire on you in the future. You could appeal to you manager for an exception because of the serious nature of your medical procedure and your concern about your health. If you think that won't work, you could ask your manager for a list of days that he/she would approve, then call the doctor's office and explain your problem and give them the list of days you could be off. It is very likely that the doctor's office will be able to schedule you for one of the days you could get approved. They are probably used to people having trouble getting time off work for appointments and would likely be willing to work with you to find a suitable day. Just because the doctor's office does the scheduling doesn't mean you can't have input regarding the day they choose. It can't hurt to ask.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
You're entitled to time off under FMLA, but it has to be for a "serious medical condition." In your case, I don't think this would qualify, since you don't even knw what it is. I'm not sure there is a requirement to approve your leave, but it just makes good management sense. Is there more here that you haven't told us? What would he say if he were asked why he made this decision? Do you have a history of taking excessive leave, what kind of work do you do? Is there a system in place to provide back-up for absent workers? Give us more info.
That's all the information. I didn't hide anything. The only reason she denied me is that day has 2 people approved off already. I rarely take days off work. I still have more than 2 weeks of vacation days that I haven't used for this year.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:59 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guandekuan View Post
That's all the information. I didn't hide anything. The only reason she denied me is that day has 2 people approved off already. I rarely take days off work. I still have more than 2 weeks of vacation days that I haven't used for this year.
Is this typical behavior for her? Does she usually value her employees (as individuals) or does she tend to see them as production units?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Is this typical behavior for her? Does she usually value her employees (as individuals) or does she tend to see them as production units?
It's always hard to take off and she's pretty rigid about it. I missed a doc appointment just few weeks back because she won't give me 3 hours off I asked to see the doctor.

People at work choose to call in sick if they know that a day is not available while they need it. I didn't want to do that because I feel by requesting early the management can be better prepared for my absence. Guess I was wrong for wanting to be a good employee.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:47 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Why are you still working at this company? Your manager is inconsiderate. I would have looked for another job, though it's hard with no time off.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
Uhh, if you requested it off 3 weeks ago, why did you not follow up on it in that past two weeks? Two weeks and no response and you just automatically assumed it would be ok, or what?

I understand that it's annoying he denied it, but at the same time I'd say you majorly dropped the ball not following up, asking in person, or making a phone call, etc.

For what it's worth, I have an actual surgery coming up that is far more hectic than yours, and I scheduled it around when it's convenient for work. I called my corporate boss and spoke to my on-site boss that deals with my scheduling, to verify it would be acceptable.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:13 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Uhh, if you requested it off 3 weeks ago, why did you not follow up on it in that past two weeks? Two weeks and no response and you just automatically assumed it would be ok, or what?

I understand that it's annoying he denied it, but at the same time I'd say you majorly dropped the ball not following up, asking in person, or making a phone call, etc.

For what it's worth, I have an actual surgery coming up that is far more hectic than yours, and I scheduled it around when it's convenient for work. I called my corporate boss and spoke to my on-site boss that deals with my scheduling, to verify it would be acceptable.
Have to agree with this. Considering the OP knows what type of person they're dealing with when they didn't hear back within a few days, you address it again.

You don't sit on your hands when you don't get a response back.

Sorry for your discomfort, I have had an endoscopy myself. It is something that you should be able to reschedule on a different date and within a reasonable period of time so that you have to delay it much longer.

Or has the OP approached the other two who are scheduled off and see if either one is willing or able to switch days off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment