Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 AM

552 posts, read 835,480 times

Advertisements

Companies always try to get workers for the lowest salary they are willing to work for.

If you dont' like it, just leave. No Biggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,440,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
So a really good friend of mine works as an Administrative Assistant in the banking industry. She tells me that she's underpaid for what she is doing. I asked her, 'How do you know'? She said that a group of other assistants had a group meeting and were discussing salaries. The salary range where she should be is between $40,000 and $50,000. She' only makes $33,000. I told her the best option would be to post out for another job because her current mgr. is more than likely not going to match her salary. What do you guys think... Im just hoping I gave her good advice... But on the real....that situation totally sucks...
First thing I think, is that all of those assistants should be fired. Never, ever, ever, talk about your salary. That is a big no-no. This is exactly why.

It's not the other assistants' fault that your friend didn't negotiate higher pay. Maybe they have more experience. There's a ton of reasons their pay might be higher, or hers lower.

She wasn't unhappy til she found out about it. That isn't unfair; the only thing wrong here is that they blabbed.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,452,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
Companies always try to get workers for the lowest salary they are willing to work for.

If you dont' like it, just leave. No Biggie.

Not the ones that care about retention ie think long-term.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:41 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,511,011 times
For whatever reason, their pay isn't that great. Time to put the resume out there and find another job. But first, she needs to evaluate her own skill set. Education doesn't really matter inasmuch as your skill set and the level of support your provide. Admins who are specialized and/or report to top tier people command higher salaries vs. admins who offer general assistance.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:52 AM

21,893 posts, read 25,219,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You tend to be agreeing with what I was posting. An above poster said they did not believe in lowball. I simply stated it happens and is a fact.
Except what you said isn't low-balling. I've had some firms low-ball me. Yes, it happens. No biggie. I don't work for that little money. Here's my rates.
"Oh, but you'll make it up with volume!"
I turn down work as it is. Why would I want more work at your rates?

The people that actually accept what I consider low-ball rates weren't low-balled. They are either hungrier for work than I am or just simply are poor negotiators. I work for agencies on a regular basis where my rates are substantially higher than their "going" rate. Why? Because I negotiated. Now, do I get a ton of work from those places? Absolutely not. I'm not really interested in any work at their going rates.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 AM

249 posts, read 425,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
First thing I think, is that all of those assistants should be fired. Never, ever, ever, talk about your salary. That is a big no-no. This is exactly why.

It's not the other assistants' fault that your friend didn't negotiate higher pay. Maybe they have more experience. There's a ton of reasons their pay might be higher, or hers lower.

She wasn't unhappy til she found out about it. That isn't unfair; the only thing wrong here is that they blabbed.
Fired? They should be commended. If our OP didn't know how much her co-workers were earning, how would she even know what figure to negotiate for?

If any co-worker of mine asks about my salary, I reveal it, and expect reciprocation. Co-workers are the best way to find out if you're being paid what you're worth: salary surveys from other employers tell you little because you have no idea what kinds of skills strangers have or what their working environments are like. It tells me nothing if I find out that someone doing a job for some other firm that might be similar to mine gets paid 30% more than I do. It tells me a lot if the guy sitting next to me, where I can see what he does all day, makes that much more.

Keeping everyone in the dark, which is what your philosophy demands, only ensures that companies always have the upper hand.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:12 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,269,668 times
I thought the new way was to say you are discriminated against because you are a woman and demand equal pay as all males in similar positions and/or salary grades.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:47 PM

160 posts, read 241,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I thought the new way was to say you are discriminated against because you are a woman and demand equal pay as all males in similar positions and/or salary grades.
I'd like to nominate this post for "least appropriate snark of the day."

Old 04-21-2014, 01:12 PM

8,081 posts, read 10,099,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The unknowns are: Is everyone an AA for the same level of person? Do they all have the same responsibilities? Do they have the same education? Have they worked for the company for the same length of time? I know AAs with HS diplomas who work for department heads and I know AAs with graduate degrees who work for the president's office; they are all AAs but they do not all have the same job classification.
This ^^^.

OP< your friend "knows" she is underpaid because a bunch of people mouthed off about their compensation. That can take a LOT of forms, including a bit of truth stretching over a few too many glasses of wine.

There are a LOT of "depends" here, but $33,000 in some markets for certain individuals is a reasonable salary. In other situations, not so much.

If your friend truthfully feels that SHE is underpaid, it is time to have a conversation after doing some real discovery. Sit down with the boss and discuss facts; how much I like working for you and this company; but I need to increase my compensation to be more commensurate with my contribution., I wouldn't say anything about so and so making 40 grand, mostly because, as a manager, if an employee came to me and told me that, I would have so and so in my office having a conversation about them being trustworthy with important confidential information if the can't be confidential about their salary.

Number one rule of employment is that you NEVER discuss your income with anyone who doesn't have a need to know. Friends/colleagues DONT'T have a need to know. Ever.

Ask for a raise based on your productivity. Comparing your work/pay to someone else is very dangerous.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:37 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,971,862 times
Why are people siding with the company about not discussing pay? That rule benefits the employer and not the employee. If your being underpaid comparable to others wouldn't you like to know it? I know a difference can make a difference when it comes time to to tap that 401K at retirement time.

I say make as much as you can while you can. Do people think employers don't know what the market rate is for compensation? It's ok for them but not for the employee. SMH..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment