Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 12:07 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
You seem to be a very bitter and angry person.
Why do you keep trying to tell others how much money they should be allowed to make or spend?

Maybe instead of constantly ranting and trying to tell low wage earners how angry they should be at the top level people, you should spend your time helping to encourage and assist those low wage earners on how to make their situations improve? It might be more productive, right?
Still can't address a single fact I've posted, eh?

I've blown holes in your argument that big, profitable businesses "can't afford" to pay a bit more, and I've demolished your laughable belief that people are somehow better off with lousy wages "if it makes the stock market go up." I've buried every pro-corporate argument you've made under a hail of facts and math... so all you've got left is to rage vainly at me and try to pretend that demanding accountability is "unfair."

Maybe instead of making excuses for those who've destroyed this nation's economy with greed, you should address the facts. We can "encourage and assist" low wager earners all we want - but apparently not with social safety nets or actual money since you hate that... I guess pats on the head will pay their bills - but none of that will bring back the jobs... jobs that have been destroyed by your "infallible" idols - big business.

Last edited by Rambler123; 04-29-2014 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:15 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
My wife in her home country used to work for a couple of wealthy business people (who were Israelis and who were foreigners to that country) who told her something which she later repeated to me, and which I am reminded of during these type of discussions: if tomorrow the wealth in the world were distributed equally to every individual, within a year it would find its way back into the same imbalance as exists today. This short sentence sums up all of the varied factors of human nature that result in inequity: the greed of some, the innocence of others, the vices of those who spend their money on addictions, the laziness of certain people, the honesty of some, the dishonesty of others, the shrewdness of those for whom making money is easy and effortless, the obstacles faced by others who find it difficult.
Oh god not more human nature arguments. That is such tired stuff.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:34 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
My wife in her home country used to work for a couple of wealthy business people (who were Israelis and who were foreigners to that country) who told her something which she later repeated to me, and which I am reminded of during these type of discussions: if tomorrow the wealth in the world were distributed equally to every individual, within a year it would find its way back into the same imbalance as exists today. This short sentence sums up all of the varied factors of human nature that result in inequity: the greed of some, the innocence of others, the vices of those who spend their money on addictions, the laziness of certain people, the honesty of some, the dishonesty of others, the shrewdness of those for whom making money is easy and effortless, the obstacles faced by others who find it difficult.
So wait-- a hypothetical situation with a prejudiced solution contains some sort of valuable insight into human nature?

If this were true, the reason would probably be because of learned behavior. Nature is flexible-- different conditions, decisions and pressures nurture or suppress these elements into unique combinations.

An enlightened society would nurture the positives instead of the negatives, but capitalism depends on the narrative of inherent winners and losers while actively seeking to nurture negative elements of humanity in the majority.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
When 45 year olds left these jobs(properly) to be done by 17 year olds, the latter did NOT need food stamps.
In order for the fast food industry to continue with it's current rate of growth, they will have to do one of two things... Continue employing adults, since the supply of teens does not satisfy the demand, or automate. I've already explained in depth the challenges for automating an already heavily automated operation, but time will tell.

In your day, there was not a McDonalds on every street corner, along with their typical rivals. Things are different today. People aren't treating fast food like an occasional treat. Many are treating it like a right and proper meal plan. This is why I wouldn't feel sorry if the prices shot up due to minimum wage hikes.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

. We can "encourage and assist" low wager earners all we want - .
via student loans, grants, lottery scholarships, we encourage and assist all who are motivated. Is requiring motivation to do BETTER too high a bar?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:28 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Fast-food restaurants are serving up plenty of food for discussion in the debate over income inequality.

Fast-food chief executives take home $1,000 for every $1 dollar earned by their average workers, making it the most unequal sector within the U.S. economy, according to a new report from public policy group Demos.

Fast-food CEOs make 1,000 times more than their workers - CBS News
So what!! I guess capitalism is a crime now too.. And burger flippers and cashiers who barely speak english,
and the flippers who mess up your order half the time deserve exactly what their paid..the minimum wage..

At least learn the language, and then maybe you'll get a raise as you'll be that much better at your job! Simple stuff and all can be learned on line..

Or go get a government grant and put yourself through college and maybe some of these workers themselves
will be CEO's...and let's hear what tune their singing when they get higher on the food chain..a debate for another time..

Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
In order for the fast food industry to continue with it's current rate of growth, they will have to do one of two things... Continue employing adults, since the supply of teens does not satisfy the demand, or automate. I've already explained in depth the challenges for automating an already heavily automated operation, but time will tell.

In your day, there was not a McDonalds on every street corner, along with their typical rivals. Things are different today. People aren't treating fast food like an occasional treat. Many are treating it like a right and proper meal plan. This is why I wouldn't feel sorry if the prices shot up due to minimum wage hikes.
Oh Andy. You sound like a wannabe fast food economist. Did it ever occur to you that fast food restaurants get over 10 times the applications as there are jobs? There are plenty of teens to choose from.

[url=http://www.zerohedge.com/article/mcdonalds-hires-62000-turns-away-over-938000-applicants-minimum-wage-part-time-jobs]McDonalds Hires 62,000, Turns Away Over 938,000 Applicants For Minimum Wage, Part-Time Jobs | Zero Hedge[/url]

Old 04-29-2014, 06:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Oh Andy. You sound like a wannabe fast food economist. Did it ever occur to you that fast food restaurants get over 10 times the applications as there are jobs? There are plenty of teens to choose from.

McDonalds Hires 62,000, Turns Away Over 938,000 Applicants For Minimum Wage, Part-Time Jobs | Zero Hedge

My sister's store (a major drugstore) has 200 suitable apps on file..all the time.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:01 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
So wait-- a hypothetical situation with a prejudiced solution contains some sort of valuable insight into human nature?

If this were true, the reason would probably be because of learned behavior. Nature is flexible-- different conditions, decisions and pressures nurture or suppress these elements into unique combinations.

An enlightened society would nurture the positives instead of the negatives, but capitalism depends on the narrative of inherent winners and losers while actively seeking to nurture negative elements of humanity in the majority.
Incorrect. Capitalism is the only moral economic system ever devised. It is based on freedom, and everyone gets to climb as far as his talent and dedication and work ethic will take him. There are no losers under Capitalism. Everyone is a winner in that everyone is free to make decisions that will lead to prosperity and achievement.

Who hates Capitalism? Those that do not want to work hard and achieve. In reality, it's impossible to rationally hate Capitalism. Anyone who hates Capitalism is really displacing hatred of themselves. Or more accurately, hatred of the personal limitations that they accept of themselves. Otherwise, how could anyone hate an economic system designed on the foundation of freedom? Those that do not want freedom, but instead want others to take care of them. In other words, those that object to reality. The reality that human survival is a self-generated and self-directed volitional behavior. Behavior that requires effort and perseverance and overcoming limitations. But why bother when we can just pass a law and do nothing, as long as we can find victims to fleece?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Incorrect. Capitalism is the only moral economic system ever devised. It is based on freedom, and everyone gets to climb as far as his talent and dedication and work ethic will take him. There are no losers under Capitalism. Everyone is a winner in that everyone is free to make decisions that will lead to prosperity and achievement.
Thanks you for confirming what I suspected - you believe in the Just World Fallacy, where everyone gets what they deserve and only one's personal limitations can stop you. It's one of the biggest crocks of philosophical rubbish ever foisted onto humanity since it does not in any way reflect reality.

Just-world hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The just-world hypothesis or just-world fallacy is the cognitive bias (or assumption) that a person's actions always bring morally fair and fitting consequences to that person, so that all noble actions are eventually rewarded and all evil actions are eventually punished. In other words, the just-world hypothesis is the tendency to attribute consequences to—or expect consequences as the result of—a universal force that restores moral balance. The fallacy is that this implies (often unintentionally) the existence of cosmic justice, desert, stability, or order, and may also serve to rationalize people's misfortune on the grounds that they deserve it."

The Just-World Fallacy « You Are Not So Smart

The Misconception: People who are losing at the game of life must have done something to deserve it.

The Truth: The beneficiaries of good fortune often do nothing to earn it, and bad people often get away with their actions without consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment