Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 11:38 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times

Advertisements

That's the point, automation replacing low-skill workers, and a rapid rise in the min wage will make development of these systems a priority.

Just the credit card swiper reduces the amount of change making that needs done, most fast food joints have the customer pour their own drinks, new cooking systems get burgers done without the need to flip them, more is on the way, and the automated ordering system is undoubtably next.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:21 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Excellent. More automation means human beings will not have to waste valuable time carrying out mundane tasks. This frees them to move up to higher level positions. Where they can exercise higher skills and be happier and more relevant people. It's a good thing.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:27 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I wonder how often the facts will have to be repeated until people stop trying to get around them with stories such as "I don't care what the stats say - there must be enough jobs because I found one." That IS NOT DATA!

Old 05-03-2014, 03:50 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Because this is America and people have choices. If wages are increased goods and services will increase.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:05 PM

64 posts, read 129,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
The poor have just as much right to exist as I do... And they can also work to better themselves rather than demand $15 hr minimum wage for unskilled jobs.

I would agree with an increase to $10 not that it would help WA much because we already have the highest minimum wage in the country at $9.32... But I do not support $15 in any way. There are college educated people fresh out of school that don't get $15.

Those who try to make careers out of flipping burgers then demand to be paid as if it's a skilled job get no sympathy from me. Make better choices in life?

If this $15 measure passes in Seattle you'll see exactly what moronic leadership can do to a city in the form of layoffs and higher prices.
I don't think anyone would realistically endorse making minimum wage jobs to be anything but that -- a minimum wage. You can key it to anything - a cost of living index, a certain percentage above the poverty line, whatever it is - so long as it's financially viable for both worker and employer. But Congress not having visited this issue in so many years means there needs to be a change to reflect the current financial reality for employees today.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That's the point, automation replacing low-skill workers, and a rapid rise in the min wage will make development of these systems a priority.

Just the credit card swiper reduces the amount of change making that needs done, most fast food joints have the customer pour their own drinks, new cooking systems get burgers done without the need to flip them, more is on the way, and the automated ordering system is undoubtably next.

With Applebees and Chilis installing tablets for ordering, I have little doubt fast food will use ordering kiosks fairly soon.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:58 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This frees them to move up to higher level positions.
It's a shame that that's not the way it works. There is no need for more higher-level positions. As a matter of fact, just like lower-level positions are being made superfluous, so are higher-level positions, albeit at a slower rate. The question is why do some people have such a hard time accepting that the intention of business is always going to be to employer fewer people paying that as little as possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
With Applebees and Chilis installing tablets for ordering, I have little doubt fast food will use ordering kiosks fairly soon.
Indeed. Society has an overriding obligation to respond to all these changes that together represent a radical tilting over of the balance between the supply and demand for labor. The ethic in some places has automation having been used to free up employees to spend more time interacting with guests, and providing more and better customer service, rather than as a rationalization for reducing the value of work through market manipulation, which seems to be the standard excuse.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:56 AM

241 posts, read 189,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Ridiculous that anyone working at least 40 hours a week still can't afford food, shelter, and other necessities.
They have only themselves to blame, then, because they failed to put themselves in a position to get a better job. They could have educated themselves or started at the bottom and worked their way up. Or they could have built their own successful enterprise like I did. There is no excuse for not making it in this country so long as you're not incredibly stupid, lazy, or entitled.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Excellent. More automation means human beings will not have to waste valuable time carrying out mundane tasks. This frees them to move up to higher level positions. Where they can exercise higher skills and be happier and more relevant people. It's a good thing.

A lot of people working these jobs do not have the aptitude or IQ for higher end work. This is why a basic income system is going to become necessary or third world poverty will ensue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
If raising the minimum wage has no negative effect on the economy or unemployment, let's make it 25 dollars an hour and end poverty this weekend. Why stop at 10? Let's go all out
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment