Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:05 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times

Advertisements

Just butting in here a bit. It seems to me that as long as the workers know that the data is going to be pulled, collecting such data would be an acceptable thing to do. Instead of using names, use identifier numbers at the level of employee, team, unit etc. Is it a problem with performance within the team? Is a whole unit under or over performing? Or is one individual slowing things down.

Once there is a focus on one group or person, the bosses should ask why this occurs. Are there employees who are not given as many resources? Who are in poor physical environments? Who work a different set of hours? This assessment could help the employees as well as efficiency, particularly if there is no recrimination placed on anyone during the initial review of the process. Heck, ask the employees if They can see why the pattern is occurring.

Later on, once all of the likely none-personality issues have been ruled out, then the bosses should consider whether any of the employees are simply slacking off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 03:23 PM

19 posts, read 15,751 times
Hi luv4horses, this is exactly how he put it when I asked why he needs to know who is doing what case and how long it is taking. He feels there are weak links in the chain that is slowing the Unit and these should be addressed by the first line supervisors so he needs this data. Fine, I am all ok with that but he will not let workers know we are doing this. Because if we did, there will be a fall out. As I explained, he is a new manager and people don't trust him yet. However, certain people in the office know I am pulling this data. So when he discusses the performance levels with the supervisors, it is only a matter of time everyone will know I was the one pulling this data. I already told my first line supervisor I am doing this for him but not the part about the information we are pulling about who is doing what. I guess I just resent being put in this situation. I feel when it comes out, I will be thrown under the bus. My coworkers already know I have a long history with him and a close relationship. I don't know, on Monday, I will suggest he put a team together if wants to continue pulling this information. Sure he has a right to and means to pull this info but I am not sure I should be involved with it since people will see me as the brown noser not him. He is the boss, nothing will happen to him.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:41 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
These types of reports are routinely done in support centers and I'm sure many other operational areas as well. There's no ethics question here as far as I'm concern.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:48 PM

260 posts, read 428,192 times
Don't know if this has already been suggested but... Could you have your co-workers write down how much time they take on procedures? Saves you time, makes the co-workers feel trusted, and you'll probably get more info with less stress and pressure all around. Just create a database or something to keep track.

Seems pretty simple to me, but then again... I don't work for the government.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:07 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
I didn't finishing reading all the responses, but a question came to mind. Would you be okay with providing this information if you were reporting on EVERY person? That way, you are giving the information requested, but not singling any particular person out.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:20 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetMeNot05 View Post
He also promised he will be the only person looking at the information. Few things:
--No one's job is on line. This is government and they are all tenured employees.
--While I feel bad about it, I also feel we have a responsibility to the tax payers to create a cost effective work place. This is the angle my boss comes from.
--He does have a right to see this information and he can have someone else to do it easily but I think he feels more comfortable with me. He is also a new manager in this unit and under a lot of pressure to produce results and I do want to help him succeed.
Remember, you work in government. There is no such thing as "he will be the only person looking at the information". Like is common in government, I can get access to any and all of my government co-workers emails (or just about any other document produced in the course of normal work duties).
I have seen workers sunshine law all of their boss' emails pertaining to them after negative actions were taken against them.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
Don't know if this has already been suggested but... Could you have your co-workers write down how much time they take on procedures? Saves you time, makes the co-workers feel trusted, and you'll probably get more info with less stress and pressure all around. Just create a database or something to keep track.

Seems pretty simple to me, but then again... I don't work for the government.
We could ask that but I don't know how happy the workers would be and they will not comply accurately they don't want to - especially the ones he is worried about. I think he is after more concrete data.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I didn't finishing reading all the responses, but a question came to mind. Would you be okay with providing this information if you were reporting on EVERY person? That way, you are giving the information requested, but not singling any particular person out.
Oh I am not singling out anyone. I am pulling random number of cases, collecting data about it. Along the way, I also see who was responsible for doing the case. But when you pull enough random numbers for enough number of days, there will be pattern emerging about how long the process is taking on average per worker. I have pulled my own cases in the process since I am pulling them indiscriminately.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:31 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Some more ethical (as well as legal) issues specific to government:
Are these documents being produced in an open manner? Are people other than you and this manager aware of their existence and will citizens be able to access them?
Is your agency unionized? Does your collective bargaining agreement allow for these kind of performance measures? Do the personnel ordinances of your government and the merit employee process allow for these kinds of measures?

The issue here is not so much creating the measures, but the transparency of the process. Anything done "secretly" is likely unethical and possibly illegal.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:34 PM

I thank you all for your input. When I think about it rationally, he already has access to everyone's performance so I am not sure why I got so sensitive about this. Also, I do believe him when he says he just needs to get a picture so he can see where the weaknesses are and where we should do more training, more resources etc...I think I am totally blowing this out of the proportion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment