Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:48 PM

475 posts, read 1,372,384 times

Advertisements

It is not permanent shift but I haven't done it in years.
I will have 3 days off and start at 11pm on the third calendar day.

So what is the best way to prepare? just wing it? Stay up as late as possible and sleep as late on the first day off? What is the best sleep period, evening or as soon as one gets home? I had issues with this the last time I did it many years ago, sort of stopped sleeping regularly and caffeine became highly necessary because of it. But maybe since I'm older now that won't be an issue. I'm also concerned about depression as daylight will be lacking. Anything ideas to help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 PM

53 posts, read 99,354 times
When I worked at night for years... I was severly depressed, theres not much you can do except maybe hope you get a better job or different hours.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:22 AM

29,856 posts, read 24,968,315 times
Eat balanced and healthy meals. Make sure your body gets the energy it needs, and not just junk. Caffeine can be used to train your body to the schedule change. It's just a crutch after a few days though. What I did when I worked night shifts... Drink a couple beers before I planned to sleep. Sort of like you drink caffeine to stay awake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
When I worked at night for years... I was severly depressed, theres not much you can do except maybe hope you get a better job or different hours.
Vitamin D deficiency can cause depression like symptoms. We get most of our vitamin D from the sun. During the winter months, many people report suffering seasonal affect disorder, due to the limited sunlight in the northern states. Just the same, many night shift workers experience depression like symptoms for much the same reason.

Luckily, there is something that night shift workers can do about it. Vitamin D is an inexpensive supplement that can be found in any drug store. You can also have your vitamin D levels checked at your next visit to the doctor. If the levels warrant it, they might prescribe a vitamin D booster.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,933,209 times
I have worked night shift at a retailer stocking shelves for nearly 20 years. I often do feel depressed and groggy but part of that's due to the poverty wages and the corrupt environment. Whenever I do feel down I just think "This is better than being homeless" and that helps get me through my night. At least there is job security since nobody wants that shift and the turnover is like a fast-spinning revolving door.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:21 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,777,821 times
I have worked night shift before. The time frame was several months and then my schedule would change. 2nd shift was always my favorite time to work for me. If you can keep your sleeping patterns similar to those on your work days, that will help you adjust immensely. I was off 3 days like you, and I would often change my sleeping habits and had a very hard time readjusting on my first 2 days of work during graveyard. Even so, sometimes it can be hard to stay asleep during the daytime. Just try to stick to similar sleeping routine each day and that should help you adjust.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,013,443 times
Worked nights for three years. To get my sleep schedule in check I found the easiest way was to skip a night of sleep before going to night shift for the first day. Makes for a rough night, but makes it very easy to sleep when you get home. Also invest in some decent light blocking curtains for your bedroom.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:07 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,767,930 times
In my early 20's, I worked night shifts. They were grueling affairs! There is not much you can do to prepare for these. I tried staying awake at night before I started my 3rd shifts. It just seemed not to make a difference. All you can really do is adjust for sleeping in the day. When I worked nights, sleeping in the day was next to impossible where I lived. But it is important to get your sleep before your shift starts. This will make it bearable.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:18 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,325,551 times
I would try to be up by noon, get a full day of "normal" in, then take a nap for 2-3 hours, take a shower and head into work.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
I like third shift in many ways. You need less sleep. You have the whole day and evening to do things that other people can't do because they're working.

I wish my current job would let me work third shift.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times
My husband is a real night owl and loved working third shift. He did it for nine years. He would come home, eat a "bedtime snack" and sleep for 8 hours and then get up in the late afternoon, eat breakfast and have a few hours around the house and go into work.

He retired four years ago and still stays up until 3 or 4 AM and sleeps to early afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment