Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

Advertisements

Did it ever occur to you that your current position is giving you the skills and gravitas to move onto something better in due time? Or did you expect to walk right into your dream job right after graduation? I think you need to temper your expectations to bring them more in line with, you know, reality.

You have landed your first job. Try doing it well for a couple of years before feeling entitled to something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 AM

322 posts, read 384,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Did it ever occur to you that your current position is giving you the skills and gravitas to move onto something better in due time? Or did you expect to walk right into your dream job right after graduation? I think you need to temper your expectations to bring them more in line with, you know, reality.

You have landed your first job. Try doing it well for a couple of years before feeling entitled to something better.
I didn't sense a feeling of entitlement from his post, not sure where you are picking that up from. He is doing the same thing I am, which is using his spare time to sharpen his skillset. That is more than can be said of many other folks.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:39 AM

64 posts, read 84,268 times
Quote:

I was under the impression that he does not have a professional job that leads to worthwhile experience and/or career opportunity. It sounded to me that he has some hourly non-professional job, which we all know employers could care less about unless the new job is also a low-wage non-professional job and/or you are still in school.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuengineer256 View Post
I didn't sense a feeling of entitlement from his post, not sure where you are picking that up from. He is doing the same thing I am, which is using his spare time to sharpen his skillset. That is more than can be said of many other folks.
^^^ This

Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times
The OP "const_iterator" sounds an awful lot like user "HarryManback' (which in turn is one of many other userid he has posted under), who disappeared just shortly before this new user id showed up.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:18 AM

514 posts, read 764,689 times
const_iterator? You must be programming in c++. No wonder you can't find a job...

Old 05-06-2014, 11:27 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestioner View Post
I was under the impression that he does not have a professional job that leads to worthwhile experience and/or career opportunity. It sounded to me that he has some hourly non-professional job, which we all know employers could care less about unless the new job is also a low-wage non-professional job and/or you are still in school.
Based on what he has posted under his various banned usernames, he is indeed working in a professional job full time. It's just not the job he thinks he deserves.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:56 PM

331 posts, read 547,892 times
Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that your current position is giving you the skills and gravitas to move onto something better in due time?
I wish it was. I've been hardly getting any work, and when I do get work, it amounts to Edit->Copy->Edit->Paste. I essentially work as an onshore, outsourced employee. To my manager, who I've only met once in real life, I am probably thought of as "some temporary worker, somewhere, on some team that I manage." I've talked to a lot of my fellow contingent staff and the consensus seems to be that it's rare for a contingent staff to transition into a full-time employee. You are never offered a job and you don't have access to the internal job listings. So it's not like you can get "promoted" to full-time status; promotion would imply that you're a member of the company to begin with.

Because of the nature of my job, there is no "networking" to be done and no "connections" to be made. I can't remember the last time I ever made direct contact with a full-time employee. The closest I've come in the past 2 months is being CC'ed in an email to or from a full-time employee.

So why am I sticking around? Lack of better options, of course. The worrisome part is that my options are getting fewer in number. That was the point of this thread.

Quote:
Or did you expect to walk right into your dream job right after graduation?
Absolutely not.

But I did have lots of awesome opportunities after graduation. I made it to the final interview round for 2 different awesome jobs that would've put me on a trajectory for future success. If I could go back in time, I would crush the final interviews. I've gone above and beyond to make up for any skills I lacked.

Problem is, I won't get a chance like that again. My resume doesn't go into the "new grad" pile, but into the normal pile, where it is looked at and seen as "under-experienced, lowly tech worker" and subsequently disregarded.

Quote:
I think you need to temper your expectations to bring them more in line with, you know, reality.
I have. Reality is depressing lol.

Quote:
Your reply to my thread was going well until the "feel entitled" straw man.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:07 PM

331 posts, read 547,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
const_iterator? You must be programming in c++. No wonder you can't find a job...
I would like to program in C++. Gaming companies such as Nintendo always have listings for C++/C programmers.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:12 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
I would like to program in C++. Gaming companies such as Nintendo always have listings for C++/C programmers.
There will always be a demand for C/C++ programmers.

Many mission critical systems that require one to squeeze out every last drop of performance will need people.

Also, there will be a lot of OS/Systems work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment