Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times

Advertisements

I've noticed many people talking about there are no jobs. What did people do before they went to the factories? Do the masses today think job first rather than a business. I'm just saying at some point when it becomes evident the job thing may not workout long term it might be a good idea to consider self employment even if it's selling Avon.

When did people lose the hunter mentality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,258 times
As soon as they were going to make less today at the same exact job that paid more in 1985. Or when they could make more on public assistance than they could at a garbage job they could be fired from for essentially no reason. Or maybe when they realized that they could have had the same job 4 years ago, but not been in debt for 65k for some BS education. That is probably a good start.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
If you live on your own it's not a such thing is losing your will to hunt for a job

Old 05-14-2014, 07:59 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,547 times
There's several factors...

Job specs have become so narrow and requiring years of paid experience in a professional environment. If you don't happen to be in the right place at the right time, good luck trying to get a job.

People may want to go back to school to freshen up and learn new skills, but again, most employers will think that's nice, but actually want people with experience.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
There are a lot of people out there who have lost the desire to work. They want a paycheck, but they don't want to do the job that goes with it.

If living on government benefits pays enough to get by, then that's what they want.

I know several people who have job openings and can't find anyone to hire. Or they have to fire new employees almost immediately because as soon as you aren't standing there staring directly at them, they set down their tools and stare into space. Or they sit at their desk and play computer games instead of doing their work.

I personally know of a job that pays 6 figures and doesn't require an impossible amount of qualifying, but when I tell an unemployed person who is whining about not finding a job about that one, they aren't interested because they would have to work weekends. Really? Because I'd be happy to work weekends to make over $100,000 a year. Not them, though. They tell me that their recreational time is too valuable and they won't give it up.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I think a lot of people have the attidue that whatever I do I am Fed and to some extent they are right. You can go to college, graduate with honors but rack up $50k in debt, graduate and noone will hire them, there is no training available, entry level = 5 years of experience, or professional jobs are temp or pay near min wage or both.

The jobs all have purple squirrel requirments that make it impossible to find any route into because noone will train you and and noone will hire you.

People try internships and they end up performing useful work for nothing or do useless stuff like make cofee and distribute mail. Then they get tossed back onto the street and companies tell them internship does not count as experience.

People try temp-to-hire jobs only most of them are a scam and only 27% are ever hired and many work for years without benefits for subpar pay only to get called one morning and told the assignment ends.

The lucky few that get hired are worked on salary 60+ hours a week with no over-time and have their vacation constantly denied until they wear themself out and develop health issues from poor sleep and over work and have no life.

Some days it just seems like you can't win and it is better to just stop playing, go off the grid, or get on public assistance.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are a lot of people out there who have lost the desire to work. They want a paycheck, but they don't want to do the job that goes with it.

If living on government benefits pays enough to get by, then that's what they want.

I know several people who have job openings and can't find anyone to hire. Or they have to fire new employees almost immediately because as soon as you aren't standing there staring directly at them, they set down their tools and stare into space. Or they sit at their desk and play computer games instead of doing their work.

I personally know of a job that pays 6 figures and doesn't require an impossible amount of qualifying, but when I tell an unemployed person who is whining about not finding a job about that one, they aren't interested because they would have to work weekends. Really? Because I'd be happy to work weekends to make over $100,000 a year. Not them, though. They tell me that their recreational time is too valuable and they won't give it up.

What you say is mostly right, but when I challenge people like you to provide details on your so called job, it falls on deaf ears. If you're really looking for someone with reasonable requirements with decent pay, lets talk.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:37 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
I find it odd that everyone talks about all of these insane requirements to get jobs today, yet every single person I know all graduated 2008 or later some of which just came into the job market in the past 2 years (including myself and all of my family) have had no trouble at all getting jobs despite not having all of these purple squirrel requirements or 5 years of experience for entry level roles.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I find it odd that everyone talks about all of these insane requirements to get jobs today, yet every single person I know all graduated 2008 or later some of which just came into the job market in the past 2 years (including myself and all of my family) have had no trouble at all getting jobs despite not having all of these purple squirrel requirements or 5 years of experience for entry level roles.
A lot of it depends on the school you went to and the locales you are looking in. Not everyone can afford to live in Sillicon Valley/NYC/LA at the moment.

Also, I have offered a challenge to someone else, please post the companies and locations of where these people are getting jobs. They sound like good employers that have their **** together.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
A lot of it depends on the school you went to and the locales you are looking in. Not everyone can afford to live in Sillicon Valley/NYC/LA at the moment.

Also, I have offered a challenge to someone else, please post the companies and locations of where these people are getting jobs. They sound like good employers that have their **** together.
I went to the University of Missouri, not exactly an Ivy and I don't live anywhere near those cities, probably couldn't afford to

I've noticed even the increased salaries in the large cities don't come close to fully offsetting the COL difference associated with living there.

Most of the people I know are getting local jobs in KC and St. Louis. My brother is at a tech startup in ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment