Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:35 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,699 times

Advertisements

About 5 months ago I landed my first "real" job in a professional setting in the field I've been trying hard to get into which is HR.

I perform tasks well, productivity is high, getting a lot of people hired and moving through the process of on boarding quickly. I think I might have found my weakness which is spitting back reports through charts.

I have to memorize over 30 candidates in order to give every single details about each person. I have difficulty just giving information without my notes. I feel like I'm having a pop quiz sometimes.

I don't understand the HR director very well in how he talks. He uses big words, analogies, and phrases things in ways I don't understand and miscommunicate which can be frustrating for both of us. I do not have this issue with other directors or my supervisor JUST him...but it seems everyone else understands how he talks. So because of that I feel incredibly stupid when I talk to him. I don't know why we just don't match when we communicate at all. Maybe I still need to learn corporate lingo.

I feel I perform my job well but communication with him is difficult and always turns into frustration. I asked this question on another forum and they suggested I'm not qualified because I'm probably attractive or have connections and to quit :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 03:50 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
I wouldn't give up after 5 months. I've been at my job for almost a year and I feel like there are still a ton of things to learn and things I can improve on. It takes time to learn everything. 30 candidates is a lot, why can't you look at your notes if you need to? I would rather someone take a few extra seconds to peruse their notes than give me incorrect information.

If you don't understand what this guy expects of you then there's nothing to do but ask for clarification. I wouldn't be afraid of looking stupid. Maybe everyone else just acts like they understand, but really they're as confused as you are. The only thing that is stupid is to waste time sitting around not understanding something because you are too afraid to ask for help/clarification.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:01 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,515,222 times
Pardon me for saying this but HOLY CRAP, ARE YOU SERIOUS?????

You haven't even worked there for a year and you're having some communication issues with the director so you think you're not qualified?

Nothing is really about talent, it's all about hard work, applying yourself and learning your job. It would actually be EXTREMELY sad if you were as good at your job in your first five months as you ever would be. People learn over time and they improve themselves over time. Unless you know that this employment isn't going to make you more marketable, you know that you have learned what you can and will soon bump into a ceiling or you KNOW that it's the wrong fit for you, I think you should stick it out for a good while longer. Your career is not always going to be up-and-up-and-up... It never is for anyone. There are going to be times when you don't know what to do and relationships with people that will be very negative. These are things that you need to know how to deal with.

Totally agree with Strawberrykiki, by the way. If the director isn't making himself understood, you have asserted to him that you are unclear on what he wants you to do and he still isn't making himself clear then that's not your fault. That means he's doing a poor job of directing.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:03 PM

Not sure why I couldn't look at my notes. He got mad at me once and was like "just tell me...I'm not asking you to memorize it.." And I'm thinking "well you kind of are since I already told you I don't know off the top of my head if you just let me grab my notes for a minute.."

I just don't know if we mismatch in communication styles or if I'm really that incompetent. I'm constantly worried I'll get fired every time I speak to him.

He's a nice guy but working with him is entirely different.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
I feel I perform my job well but communication with him is difficult and always turns into frustration. I asked this question on another forum and they suggested I'm not qualified because I'm probably attractive or have connections and to quit :/
HUH???

Why would you even think of quitting? You are having miscommunications with your manager. That can be corrected. You can go back and look up those "big words" he uses or you can ask him to clarify anything you don't understand.

You might want to also work on any personal insecurities you may have.

At the very least, use this time as a learning experience, get a year under your belt and move up within the company. You're the HR lady. You know all of the secrets.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:08 PM

Thanks for reassurance everyone. I wasn't seriously thinking of quitting because experience is value. I guess my insecurities are getting the best of me.

My supervisor doesn't understand why I don't understand him. My other coworker thinks he's "gray" in his explanations and views so I'm not sure if it's just me. Either way I just hope I don't get fired or seen as stupid.

I'm still learning the corporate environment and language I guess.

Definitely won't be there for a long time more than a year. I'll start looking for a new job close to a year.To be honest there's not much room for growth or pay. I think it's because we are non profit.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:34 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
It's your first professional job. If you do quit, you are going to find the same issues at a new job. Then, you are back to square one for another 6 months to a year of adaptation and learning.

There is a learning curve of at least 6 months. In some professions like engineering, it could take years for a entry level employee to be half as productive as a mid-level employee.

Do you really want to extend this adaptation period again? Think twice, before you jump ship.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,919 times
Sounds to me like the HR director is the one with the problem and not you. He needs to be able to make himself clear to all, not just those who have been in the field for a long time. Don't worry about whether he acts like you are "stupid." Again, that is his problem, not yours. Maybe he is arrogant, maybe he has aspbergers--at any rate, try not to internalize it. Just don't allow those thoughts to happen. As far as job hunting, I would start by requesting email alerts from Indeed in your field and geographic area. It doesn't hurt to start looking now. I always look, even when I have a job I like.

I would encourage you to look at county HR positions or school district positions, since you have non profit experience. The benefits are usually great.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 PM

So my supervisor snapped at me yesterday for not understanding our big boss. Today she apologized and said she was cranky from the projects and post vacation blues. She then proceeded to tell me that our big boss is "gray" and I need to learn what he wants when he gives a gray answer. She said she's good at reading what he wants (she's been there 3-4 yrs). She told me I like direct instructions rather than vague so I need to learn to read what he wants.

Does anyone think that its odd I'm the one that has to learn what he wants when my big boss isn't direct in what he wants??? Lol

Old 05-29-2014, 08:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
Does anyone think that its odd I'm the one that has to learn what he wants when my big boss isn't direct in what he wants??? Lol
Don't play that game. It' not worth it. You're trying to assign blame.

Bottom line is YOU have to understand. Do what you need to do to get understanding. YOU can ask him to clarify, you can take notes, you can look up the words you don't understand, etc. Get what you need from the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment