Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:24 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times

Advertisements

OP, have you tried looking for nanny or housekeeper/cleaner, dog walker etc jobs??
I don't know about your area, but where I live, working moms were ALWAYS looking for good, reliable trustworthy nannies and good house cleaners, someone to make good healthy meals for the family, drive kids to activities, help with homework, etc. Look and post on craigslist and local Facebook mom groups.

It's easier work than manual outdoor labour like many here are suggesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 08:25 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Only if there is something terribly wrong with you. Do you have a criminal record?
Nope.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:11 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
I still don't understand why so many people suggest volunteering like it's the only option. If the person doesn't have any money, how do you expect them to get there? Fly by unicorn?

There is another way, parried but no one is going to tell us. We have to be clever to find it because it's every person for themselves.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:03 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
I'm surprised that so many people consider McDonald's and similar companies to be a no-brainer job. Sorry, but just because you think you're too good for fast food work doesn't mean you can waltz in there and get a job!

Fast food is hard, demanding work and not just anyone can do it. They're not going to hire someone who looks and acts entitled to something better.

If your attitude is, the world owes me a job, but since the world isn't delivering just yet, I'll condescend to dirty my hands for a few weeks at your restaurant until a real job comes along, well then you're not likely to get that job, and if you do, they're fools for hiring you.

Think about it. Why should they hire you, when there are dozens of other applicants at any given time, young eager beavers or immigrants with crazy work ethics who are glad to have a paycheck and who don't care about this suburban myth that fast food work is crappy and no one should do it? (Hint--if you ever eat fast food, yet regard it as sh*t work, you're a hypocrite).

I don't know who this op is or what their circumstances are, but chances are, based on their postings, they don't have the kind of humility and grit needed for tough, timely work. You have to show up and work hard and fast and accurately and keep a smile on your face.

I admire and respect people in fast food; I've done it as a youth, I know it's not easy work. I'm always polite to them, ask them how their day is going, and treat them like an equal. Which they are. They work as hard as I do, or harder perhaps, and I respect that. Too bad we Americans have strayed from the respect we once had for an honest day's work. Just my 2c.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:59 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I'm surprised that so many people consider McDonald's and similar companies to be a no-brainer job. Sorry, but just because you think you're too good for fast food work doesn't mean you can waltz in there and get a job!

Fast food is hard, demanding work and not just anyone can do it. They're not going to hire someone who looks and acts entitled to something better.

If your attitude is, the world owes me a job, but since the world isn't delivering just yet, I'll condescend to dirty my hands for a few weeks at your restaurant until a real job comes along, well then you're not likely to get that job, and if you do, they're fools for hiring you.

Think about it. Why should they hire you, when there are dozens of other applicants at any given time, young eager beavers or immigrants with crazy work ethics who are glad to have a paycheck and who don't care about this suburban myth that fast food work is crappy and no one should do it? (Hint--if you ever eat fast food, yet regard it as sh*t work, you're a hypocrite).

I don't know who this op is or what their circumstances are, but chances are, based on their postings, they don't have the kind of humility and grit needed for tough, timely work. You have to show up and work hard and fast and accurately and keep a smile on your face.

I admire and respect people in fast food; I've done it as a youth, I know it's not easy work. I'm always polite to them, ask them how their day is going, and treat them like an equal. Which they are. They work as hard as I do, or harder perhaps, and I respect that. Too bad we Americans have strayed from the respect we once had for an honest day's work. Just my 2c.
I don't see how eating fast food and regarding it as sh#t work means you're a hypocrite. Eating it doesn't make it any more glamorous. However, I do agree with you that fast food is difficult work. In fact for me it was the most difficult work in the world. Like I said a while back you have to think on your feet and I'm no good at that. They are more lenient with hiring people than most other jobs though. That's why people seem to think it's easy. I get so tired of people suggesting because I'm having trouble finding a job, I should work in fast food.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:52 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

I'm willing to do it but I'm not getting called after I fill out an application. The phone never rings.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:04 AM

624 posts, read 763,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
How many mock interviews are you doing a week? Don't just have these professional resume people look at your stuff. These people aren't always that great.

Do dozens of mock interviews every week. When your resume is torn apart and reviewed by a variety people, it will be bullet proof. Then, you can start getting hits.
Doesn't one have to pay for these evaluations? How does one know the evaluation they are getting is legit, esp when they are paying for it?

Opinions are like.....I'm sure you know the rest.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:06 AM

624 posts, read 763,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
OP, have you tried looking for nanny or housekeeper/cleaner, dog walker etc jobs??
I don't know about your area, but where I live, working moms were ALWAYS looking for good, reliable trustworthy nannies and good house cleaners, someone to make good healthy meals for the family, drive kids to activities, help with homework, etc. Look and post on craigslist and local Facebook mom groups.

It's easier work than manual outdoor labour like many here are suggesting.
Adding home health care, or senior home care.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:51 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Just out of curiosity, what do you look like? Is there something about your appearance or hygiene that could put people off? And what were you doing for the last ten years? Also, where do you live - small town, countryside, city, suburb?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:11 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
I'll pay the OP fifty bucks to come over and detail my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment