Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:32 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times

Advertisements

What strategy works better for getting a job?

I've had a few people tell me going in and dropping off your resume, along with making sure you talk to the HR rep is a better strategy than networking. A couple family members have told me this, and one of them swears by it. He says he's gotten all of his jobs that way and refuses to consider networking. The idea behind it is if you take the time to go to their place and drop it off, it shows you want the job and will be a good candidate for it.

Or-- is networking a better strategy, because you can have an actual person vouch on your behalf and provide a reference? Hasn't the job market always been that way, even well before the Boomers got into the workforce?

I'm not really sure which is better. I have family that says they've gotten jobs without networking and going in with your resume shows work ethic. Then again, I've talked to at least a dozen and a half people in the field I want to go into who say networking is better. I hesitate to try the "drop off" strategy because I've read some poor experiences online of people who say the HR rep interpreted that as a sign they didn't follow directions, and just added their resume to a "stack" anyway.

Should I try going in to drop off my resume? What do I have to lose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 03:49 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,749 times
Most companies will not let you do this, most take applications online only. You might call the company and ask first if you can drop off a resume before you walk up unannounced.
Networking could work, it does for some.
When asking people how they got their job, make sure you are asking people who have gotten a job within the past 5 years. Any longer than that, and the advice is useless because hiring has changed so much.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Most companies will not let you do this, most take applications online only. You might call the company and ask first if you can drop off a resume before you walk up unannounced.
Networking could work, it does for some.
When asking people how they got their job, make sure you are asking people who have gotten a job within the past 5 years. Any longer than that, and the advice is useless because hiring has changed so much.
My in-laws tell me they look highly upon the people who drop off their resume in person, even if they don't call. These has been in the past 2 years. I don't know if this makes a difference, but they live in a more rural area while I do not. Also, for jobs which require more skill and experience, does resume drop-off work? I can see it working for the baseline entry-level job where you only start out at 13/hour, but for a 45K a year job?

I'm willing to try a lot of things to get experience and to get a job, but this one makes me hesitate.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:19 PM

45 posts, read 53,566 times
It really does seem like a thing of the past. Are there are any industries that are receptive to walk-ins? It might still work for small businesses or sales roles. My experience with them has never been good. Usually I would get a deer in headlights reaction from folks who staff the front desk or reception office. On one occasion, a bitter old HR hag refused to accept my resume and threatened to call security guard. That was it for me.

I think HR types are a lot more hostile to the unsolicited walk-ins. They prefer to keep as many barriers as they can between themselves and job seekers.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:32 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
My in-laws tell me they look highly upon the people who drop off their resume in person, even if they don't call. These has been in the past 2 years. I don't know if this makes a difference, but they live in a more rural area while I do not. Also, for jobs which require more skill and experience, does resume drop-off work? I can see it working for the baseline entry-level job where you only start out at 13/hour, but for a 45K a year job?

I'm willing to try a lot of things to get experience and to get a job, but this one makes me hesitate.
Maybe that works in a rural area, but I live in Atlanta and drop offs are frowned upon. Most offices are in highrises and you cannot get past security without an appointment with an employer. I think networking would work better.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post

Dropping off a resume might work in small areas or for small businesses but most large/larger businesses do not operate this way. In fact, many places will tell you to apply online directly and others will not take resumes at all when someone tries to give it to them directly.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
We see this from time to time in my large city, but it seems like it's always done by someone in their late 60's and older. It isn't looked upon as a good thing, either. I tend to think people are out of touch when they do it because it's something they used to do in the old days and it's not the most effective way to get a job now.

If they still do it in a rural area, that's great. Since you don't live in a rural area, I wouldn't do it.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 PM

I always wondered, what would happen if the business had a security guard or a lobby where you couldn't go any further without an appointment? I've asked that question and was told to just leave it at the front desk or drop it in their mailbox. The chances of it reaching the right person would be slim, in my opinion.

I think this strategy works best for certain fields and jobs, but a few people keep advocating it to me. "Don't knock it until you try it."

Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
It depends on the area of the country you live in. If you live in an area with a very low unemployment rate, they make take resumes in person and for some jobs hire on the spot. The lower the population in the area, the more apt this is to happen. Get down to 2% or 3% unemployment area, and you may get to drop off your application in person. Don't expect any face to face time however except for the more menial jobs.

On the other hand, if you live in a large area with lots of people looking for jobs, they are not going to talk to you. They simply do not have the time to do so. They take applications on line only, with some having a computer set up to make applications if you do drop in. They don't have enough time in the day to do it any other way.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Networking networking networking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search