Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,149,703 times

Advertisements

Recruiting season is starting at my Company and we had a recruiting season kickoff meeting. Our HR Director proceeded to inform us that we could not make hiring decisions based on race or ethnicity. In fact, she said we couldn't even ask casual conversation starters like "so, where are you from?" because this might be seen as trying to gather information about ethnicity. This seemed a little odd because knowledge of someone's race/ethnicity/birthplace is a lot different from discriminating based on it. Based on the logic that you shouldn't even obtain information about ethnicity, she should also have asked us to close our eyes during the interview so that we don't see their skin color and close our ears so we don't hear their accent. Anyways, HR isn't my specialty, so I was just willing to roll with the don't ask anything remotely related to race, place or birth, ect.

It wasn't five minutes later our HR Director told us that our Company has a "focus on diversity" and that we should make an extra effort to reach out to non white candidates.

At this point I almost lost it. In my opinion, she is telling us it is not ok to casually gather information about a candidates background (that is not intended to discriminate) but it is ok show blatant favoritism to candidates because of their skin tone.

Is a "focus on diversity" legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:36 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,749,586 times
So basically, your HR Director has very poor communication skills.

What they're really trying to get across is that the companies wants to hire more minorities (likely to meet an EEOC/affirmative action quota) without actually letting the applicants know that you're hiring them because of their race/ethnicity by asking them race/ethnicity-related questions, to avoid discrimination lawsuits.

Either way, I wouldn't want to work for this type of company knowing this crap was going on (as a minority myself). It's not technically illegal, but it is a poor business practice.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:57 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,190,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
It wasn't five minutes later our HR Director told us that our Company has a "focus on diversity" and that we should make an extra effort to reach out to non white candidates.
This essentially means increasing the applicant pool by creating opportunities for diverse candidates to apply. Does not necessarily mean that you need to specifically hire "non-white" applicants. Two very distinct meanings. I have worked very closely with HR (not in HR) in the past and from what I can tell, your HR Director is talking about creating more opportunities to bring in diverse demography as applicants; hiring might still continue on merit.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:10 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,420,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So basically, your HR Director has very poor communication skills.

What they're really trying to get across is that the companies wants to hire more minorities (likely to meet an EEOC/affirmative action quota) without actually letting the applicants know that you're hiring them because of their race/ethnicity by asking them race/ethnicity-related questions, to avoid discrimination lawsuits.

Either way, I wouldn't want to work for this type of company knowing this crap was going on (as a minority myself). It's not technically illegal, but it is a poor business practice.
There are no quotas.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
There are no quotas.
The government doesn't impose quotas by law, that's correct.

But employers can disguise them as "goals" within the organization.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Recruiting season is starting at my Company and we had a recruiting season kickoff meeting. Our HR Director proceeded to inform us that we could not make hiring decisions based on race or ethnicity. In fact, she said we couldn't even ask casual conversation starters like "so, where are you from?" because this might be seen as trying to gather information about ethnicity. This seemed a little odd because knowledge of someone's race/ethnicity/birthplace is a lot different from discriminating based on it. Based on the logic that you shouldn't even obtain information about ethnicity, she should also have asked us to close our eyes during the interview so that we don't see their skin color and close our ears so we don't hear their accent. Anyways, HR isn't my specialty, so I was just willing to roll with the don't ask anything remotely related to race, place or birth, ect.

At this point I almost lost it. In my opinion, she is telling us it is not ok to casually gather information about a candidates background (that is not intended to discriminate) but it is ok show blatant favoritism to candidates because of their skin tone.

Is a "focus on diversity" legal?
The focus on diversity is not only legal, but promoted by the various local and fed gov agencies that are involved in this stuff.

Your HR director was simply spouting out the typical lingo line to satisfy any inquiries by outside entities regarding the company's promotion of diversity. This little spouting off will be logged, and if/when anyone ever gets interviewed, they will of course say "yes, our company promotes diversity because of blah blah blah".

It is perfectly allowed to ask where someone is from, just cannot discriminate on the basis of it. A smart company will just avoid the question and those like it completely, asking such questions just gives more ammo to someone when they file a complaint about not getting hired or something.

But yea, it is all BS, as if non-white candidates somehow are incapable of selecting companies to apply to, and need their hand held like they are three years old.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The government doesn't impose quotas by law, that's correct.

But employers can disguise them as "goals" within the organization.
A goal is not a quota, a company cannot discriminate base on achieving a goal. A company can still be hit with a discrimination finding if they discriminated against other groups in pursuit of a goal for a specific group.

But, the BS thing about goals is they are only set for non-whites and women, whites and males do not get goals, the gov does not mandate any company to set goals for whites and males. Yea, that is gov sponsored discrimination.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
A goal is not a quota, a company cannot discriminate base on achieving a goal. A company can still be hit with a discrimination finding if they discriminated against other groups in pursuit of a goal for a specific group.
Right, so instead of making a rigid, unavoidable requirement that a certain number of minorities must be hired, the hiring of so many minorities is simply masked as an "ideal objective" to reach a "estimated target" so it can be shown a "good faith" effort has been made in diversifying the company's workforce.

So even though I see the difference between a goal and a quota from a legal/business standpoint, the big picture of it is all semantics to me. Ultimately, the company is trying to bring more minorities on board to appease the courts and help them in their defense if anyone ever does try to sue them for discrimination.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,990,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
This essentially means increasing the applicant pool by creating opportunities for diverse candidates to apply. Does not necessarily mean that you need to specifically hire "non-white" applicants. Two very distinct meanings. I have worked very closely with HR (not in HR) in the past and from what I can tell, your HR Director is talking about creating more opportunities to bring in diverse demography as applicants; hiring might still continue on merit.
It almost sounds like that would be implying that some positions are better suited for certain demographics, which surely can't be what OP's HR department or you mean to say right?

Maybe by "opportunities" you mean things like recruiting at job fairs in a diverse selection of locales or something like that, and not the position itself?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,190,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It almost sounds like that would be implying that some positions are better suited for certain demographics, which surely can't be what OP's HR department or you mean to say right?

Maybe by "opportunities" you mean things like recruiting at job fairs in a diverse selection of locales or something like that, and not the position itself?
It would be very difficult to target specific locations for certain positions. The approach needs to be broad and inclusive for all positions. Yes, job fairs in diverse locations and colleges that promotes diversity are a few options. They could also try advertising open positions at community centers and unemployment agencies which will targets broad audience than just posting the postion on the company's website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment