Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,622 times

Advertisements

Ok hate to even ask this but i need opinions,i have never had to deal with this before,so my coworker who is not so nice but im civil to her,and work well with her normally i just pretty much ignore her when she's ranting,so anyway there was a little thing that happned this morning with her and someone else,so i texted my other co worker,mind you it was nothing bad just about this incident,so anyway she comes over to my cubby and sees my iphone which was on the normal screen,and was like when did you get an iphone blah blah blah ok so my office phone rings and i pick it up and turn around and she has the message that the other person texted me on my screen,so she would have had to go to my messages which i do not keep on the front screen,its in a little box on the iphone screen and read all my messages and now she's pissed. ok first of all she is in the wrong correct? she walked away and said nothing,not sure what or if she's going to do anything about it,as i said it wasnt anything bad,i know i had poor judgement but it is my phone. I know when she says something to me im just going to say why the heck were you going through my messages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:13 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
She's in the wrong. She also sounds immature. If she starts causing trouble for you I guess you could let your supervisor know, but only if she starts anything. Or you could tell HR, if you want to be pre-emptive. Is she the vindictive type?

Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,144 times
Considering the iPhone is YOUR personal property and the messages are YOUR personal messages, regardless of the topic, she was definitely in the wrong for even touching your phone without your permission. Other than reading your private texts, what if she had dropped it and the phone broke? Would she offer to pay for it or replace it? You have a bit of a dilemma here because you texted a co-worker about a problem about another co-worker instead of going to the supervisor about it. However, it still goes back to the personal property issue.

She sounds very childish and immature, which is a guaranteed recipe for vindictiveness. Watch your back.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
You learned 2 lessons today, or at least you SHOULD have learned 2 lessons

1) Never put in writing that you don't want everyone else at work to see. Especially gossip type things about someone else. This could get forwarded or accidentally read by the person being talked about. You learned first hand how this happens, by mistake.

Even with IM, people screen share often these days. You wouldn't believe the stuff I have seen in IM that popped up on people's PCs when they were doing screen share.

2) Lock your iphone screen at all time when it is not in your hands/in use.

Last edited by sware2cod; 01-11-2013 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You learned 2 lessons today, or at least you SHOULD have learned 2 lessons

1) Never put in writing that you don't want everyone else at work to see. Especially gossip type things about someelse else. This could get forwarded or accidentally read by the person being talked about. You learned first hand how this happens, by mistake.

Even with IM, people screen share often these days. You would believe the stuff I have seen in IM that popped up on people's PCs when they were doing screen share.

2) Lock your iphone screen at all time when it is not in your hands/in use.
your are correct,and yes i will be locking the phone from now on..

Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
She's in the wrong. She also sounds immature. If she starts causing trouble for you I guess you could let your supervisor know, but only if she starts anything. Or you could tell HR, if you want to be pre-emptive. Is she the vindictive type?
her bark is worse than her bite. Im not saying anything im waiting for her to come to me then i will advise her that he had no right to go into my messages.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:45 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Would it be considered very old fashioned/behind the times to suggest that you shouldn't be using your personal iPhone at work anyway?

Old 01-11-2013, 02:50 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
her bark is worse than her bite. Im not saying anything im waiting for her to come to me then i will advise her that he had no right to go into my messages.
That sounds like the right plan. If this woman is not likely to hurt you professionally then I'd just ignore it. If she says something then politely but firmly let her know she was in the wrong for snooping on your phone. Do not listen to any but but but counter-arguments. You didn't say anything wrong and she had no business in your stuff. As long as you keep it mature and professional there is really nothing to blame you for. At least she's not likely to beyotch to you anymore.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:23 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Is she bored much???

Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Ok hate to even ask this but i need opinions,i have never had to deal with this before,so my coworker who is not so nice but im civil to her,and work well with her normally i just pretty much ignore her when she's ranting,so anyway there was a little thing that happned this morning with her and someone else,so i texted my other co worker,mind you it was nothing bad just about this incident,so anyway she comes over to my cubby and sees my iphone which was on the normal screen,and was like when did you get an iphone blah blah blah ok so my office phone rings and i pick it up and turn around and she has the message that the other person texted me on my screen,so she would have had to go to my messages which i do not keep on the front screen,its in a little box on the iphone screen and read all my messages and now she's pissed. ok first of all she is in the wrong correct? she walked away and said nothing,not sure what or if she's going to do anything about it,as i said it wasnt anything bad,i know i had poor judgement but it is my phone. I know when she says something to me im just going to say why the heck were you going through my messages?
Sorry to be unsympathetic, but it's your own fault. First, you should never say or write anything at work that you don't want your employer and everyone else to see or hear. It was very foolish to write something about her while at work and then basically leave it sitting around for anyone to see. Doesn't matter that she must have snooped a little (although it's perfectly possible your message was visible without her snooping). And even if you went home and texted it, that's also stupid. Never, never put anything in text or email or other writing that you wouldn't want others to see. Digital messages are never private, no matter what you believe. If you have to say something bad, then say it, don't write it, and do it at home. Texting about your coworkers while at work is just plain juvenile, also.

You're pretty much in the wrong, although you can use the snooping against her a little. However, you made a bad situation worse, and now you'll just have to wait it out and hope things settle over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment