Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownBellevueDan View Post
the average profit for a business is 5% Gross.
You straight up completely made that up. So the rest of your post can be ignored.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:21 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
Generally, businesses are not a charity for hard-up job seekers. They have a role to fill, pay for the skillset required for that role, and it is up to an applicant to take the job or not.

It is not exploitation and business owners do not have a social responsibility to make sure everyone can pay their bills, that is the responsibility of the employee. Pay too low? Work somewhere else. No skills? That sucks, but why should that fall on the business?
It is so interesting how people like this never seem to want to put any responsibility on the employer always the employee. I guess it is easier that way so the business can do anything they want to. Just more greed and selfishness.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:31 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
People should remember slavery and serfdom were the norm at some point in history. Fairness and equality were not won by people just shrugging their shoulders and saying, people all get what they deserve. It takes constant vigilance and sometimes a bit of blood.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:37 PM

346 posts, read 551,021 times
Hmm....5 almost full pages before someone equates the current business model (in which people can quit their job at any time if unhappy) with slavery. That might be a record.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
I laugh when the CEO's of big corporations say that raising the minimum wage is bad for business but they are increasingly getting bonuses and compensation that add up to millions of dollars a year.

Starbucks boosts Schultz’s pay 80%

"Starbucks paid CEO Howard Schultz $28.9 million, including a special $12 million stock award for his leadership and to retain him for at least three more years."

Starbucks boosts Schultz’s pay 80% | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

McDonald's And Starbucks' CEOs Make More Than $9,200 An Hour

McDonald's And Starbucks CEOs Make More Than $9,200 An Hour - Business Insider

Old 06-26-2014, 01:48 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
The min wage was never meant to be someone's life long wage. It's meant for unskilled, entry job for teenagers.

If it's $10 or so, I'll agree with it. But $15?
STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

No one cares what a "minimum wage job is meant to be". NO ONE CARES. STOP SAYING IT.

The REALITY in the REAL world is that minimum wage jobs are the best jobs many many people will ever get. Because we sent all our manufacturing to our Most Favored Nation, China. Remember that?

Old 06-26-2014, 02:13 PM

463 posts, read 559,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

No one cares what a "minimum wage job is meant to be". NO ONE CARES. STOP SAYING IT.

The REALITY in the REAL world is that minimum wage jobs are the best jobs many many people will ever get. Because we sent all our manufacturing to our Most Favored Nation, China. Remember that?
I thought the original purpose of minimum wage was to prevent abusive employers paying their workers only $1.00 an hour because the Holy Gods of the Free Market (Peace Be Upon Them) deemed poor people not blessed with the Magic Skillz so therefore must resign themselves and their kids to a cursed life of destitution.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 PM

431 posts, read 599,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
Generally, businesses are not a charity for hard-up job seekers.
But some of them have no problem having their low paying jobs subsidized by the tax payer. I'm looking at you, Wal-mart.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
But some of them have no problem having their low paying jobs subsidized by the tax payer. I'm looking at you, Wal-mart.
Are you physically standing outside of their store staring at the building?

Old 06-26-2014, 04:58 PM

19 posts, read 31,315 times
In this economy, plenty of people have skills. But since there are 500 applicants for every 1 job opening for skilled work, 499 people sit unemployed or go apply for jobs for minimum wage unskilled work, where there are only 25 applicants for every opening.

A rise in the minimum wage also boosts the wages of workers who are a few dollars an hour above the minimum. My mom was making $2-3 above minimum at a bookkeeping job, and got a $.25 raise when minimum wage went up $1.

I worked minimum wage jobs as a teen, but right now most middle income teens don't work. And low income teens try to find jobs at entry level minimum wage jobs but can't because people their parent's age are working there.

88% of people affected by minimum wage legislation are above 20, and 30% are above 40.

My dad worked at a coffee shop (not starbucks) when he was about 50 and was trying to make ends meet after the aircraft plant he was working at laid off 20,000 people. My mom spent her early 60's at various temp jobs when she couldn't find permanent work. Again - those jobs were minimum wage or barely above it with no benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment