Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:48 PM

285 posts, read 1,206,199 times

Advertisements

Here is the scoop
I live with my sister and her family and they dont really have much
and a struggling financially. They have 2 daughters one is 6 years
old, the other is 2 months old.

I barley can afford to live here however I use to work and earned
$150-$185 biweekly but now my job cut my hours some more and I will be
earning less than $100

I texted my mom about this and she wasnt happy and was just being
negative however theyve been helping me with the half of my rent. What
so ironic about this is that I told everybody in my family about my
job hours and that money is going to be VERY VERY tight and we had a
family meeting to talk and gather what bill need to be paid I just
told my family that my job is cutting my hours severly to les than
$100 every 2 weeks and now im responsible for $550 a month?

I was trying to find a job but they aren't hiring because they are full staff.

My mom is mad at me because she doesnt like me not being like my cousin, he is a physical therapist assistant he works 3 days a week and gets paid and now he is on a vacation in Jamaica.

I finally went and decided to continue my AS degree in Television Video Production Technology and be a full time student until I told my sister about what my mom said in the txt. As much as my sister fights with my mom she agreed with her and I get it too. But pretty much told me that I need to pick another career to pick to have a job where I can at least support myself if I want to go back to school. I totally understand that but my problem is I dont have any other interest that will satisfy me. i can tell that my family though they are really religious and conservative they talk about money alot. Yet my parents and my sister and her bf have regular jobs and steady paychecks yet they are struggling financially working a job to support themselves.

Its like why not go for my degree. But since my sister told me to reconsider my AS degree for TV production and get a trade job or something that will make me enough money to support myself now then pursue the degree of TV production would better.

Like I said, I get it, it makes sense BUT I don't have any other career that im interested in, nor good at. I called my school career counselor and Im taking a career/personality assessments and my results say that my career interest are artistic. What am I suppose to do! I also REALLY what to get out of my sister place and get a place of my own and get myself a studio or 1 bedroom apartment Im 23 btw!

I dont know what Im good at !

I really like a job where its calming and moderate to slow pace and to go to school where I dont have to take alot of math classes I am HORRIBLE at math.
Not dealing with children

I thought about massage therapy but its kind of sexist, it would be difficult to get cliental as a male because they would think I would pull a fast one on people.

If I was going to do the TV production 2 year degree I would only have to take 1 math class either Math Modeling or College Algebra. Then that would be it.

Its frustrating because when I have a plan to go to school to major what I want, I cant! Now I have to find something now that I can have a career where a job is secured and have a good salary.

So I have to look for a job ASAP to tie me over to make rent, I cant really move in with my parents they didnt say that I cant stay with them but there actions speak louder then words. Im trying to find a career which has a study salary rate so I can move out of my sisters place and finally be on my own. I just need to find a career that is 2 years or less, that I can be good at and take classes without failing. Not to mention figure out what else interest me besides TV/Film production.

This is depressing and disappointing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 05:16 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 887,115 times
Did you check out the TV Production marketplace to see if there are jobs available? I sure hope you did it before you signed up for the degree. And how do you plan to pay for tuition + living expenses while being a full-time student? With student loans?

Old 07-01-2014, 05:32 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
become a car salesman

doesnt seem like you have any real roadblocks

that degree your attempting is equivalent to saying "i wanna be a music producer"; you wont get a job so look at something more practical that interests you

Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
I would definitely not just go to school for the sake of going to school. Sooooooo many are doing this and they are finding themselves in a boatload of student loan debt with a worthless piece of really expensive paper saying they got education in something.

What you need to do is BEFORE YOU GO TO SCHOOL, research what you are getting into. If you can WORK in the position before going, than you are in a good position to see the reality of how things are on the job.

How's the demand for the job? Where is the job being offered? What is the EMPLOYER looking for in recruitment? For many jobs, you can volunteer a day working somewhere fetching people coffee even to get your foot in the door. Actually in a field such as video production, you probably could have great opportunity with just on-the-job training for FREE. It might cost you some time, but trust me it would be WELL worth it.

Don't be as everyone else going to school thinking that because they have a degree they are going to be entitled to some great job with a good paycheck. The reality is there is a marketplace that is looking for particular skills and people to meet those particular skills. MANY jobs simply only REQUIRE a HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, and some of these jobs pay pretty well without factoring in student loan debt for degrees they don't require.

Physical Therapy Assistant is a GREAT job right now. I know this because I was looking to get into the field of Physical Therapy. I don't know how long the job will be a great job due to some major changes looking to be in the pipeline for the healthcare world in general, but RIGHT NOW it is a great job. I actually wish that I just went for the big expensive degree. So for the PTA, college is a great option because of it grants a certification that legally allows the PTA to bill treatments which of course brings revenue into therapy establishments making them money. So the pay is good.

Anyways I could talk for hours about this. Just get into a place and show you have a drive to learn. Be opportunistic as jobs open up. FORGET COLLEGE. buy some used textbooks on Amazon/Half/Ebay for a couple dollars (very little info actually changes from edition to edition but it's another way for people to make money off of the debt of college students), and LEARN the info on your own.

It would be a lot cheaper. Debt is slavery. And now the government is lending directly. As the Bible says, the rich rule over the poor and the borrower is slave to the lender. Not a good thing with how things are being run in this country now.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
OP said "I really like a job where its calming and moderate to slow pace"

There is nothing calming or slow paced about TV production. Not to mention the frantic competition for a very few jobs.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 PM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
Here is the scoop
I live with my sister and her family and they dont really have much
and a struggling financially. They have 2 daughters one is 6 years
old, the other is 2 months old.

I barley can afford to live here however I use to work and earned
$150-$185 biweekly but now my job cut my hours some more and I will be
earning less than $100

I texted my mom about this and she wasnt happy and was just being
negative however theyve been helping me with the half of my rent. What
so ironic about this is that I told everybody in my family about my
job hours and that money is going to be VERY VERY tight and we had a
family meeting to talk and gather what bill need to be paid I just
told my family that my job is cutting my hours severly to les than
$100 every 2 weeks and now im responsible for $550 a month?

I was trying to find a job but they aren't hiring because they are full staff.

My mom is mad at me because she doesnt like me not being like my cousin, he is a physical therapist assistant he works 3 days a week and gets paid and now he is on a vacation in Jamaica.

I finally went and decided to continue my AS degree in Television Video Production Technology and be a full time student until I told my sister about what my mom said in the txt. As much as my sister fights with my mom she agreed with her and I get it too. But pretty much told me that I need to pick another career to pick to have a job where I can at least support myself if I want to go back to school. I totally understand that but my problem is I dont have any other interest that will satisfy me. i can tell that my family though they are really religious and conservative they talk about money alot. Yet my parents and my sister and her bf have regular jobs and steady paychecks yet they are struggling financially working a job to support themselves.

Its like why not go for my degree. But since my sister told me to reconsider my AS degree for TV production and get a trade job or something that will make me enough money to support myself now then pursue the degree of TV production would better.

Like I said, I get it, it makes sense BUT I don't have any other career that im interested in, nor good at. I called my school career counselor and Im taking a career/personality assessments and my results say that my career interest are artistic. What am I suppose to do! I also REALLY what to get out of my sister place and get a place of my own and get myself a studio or 1 bedroom apartment Im 23 btw!

I dont know what Im good at !

I really like a job where its calming and moderate to slow pace and to go to school where I dont have to take alot of math classes I am HORRIBLE at math.
Not dealing with children

I thought about massage therapy but its kind of sexist, it would be difficult to get cliental as a male because they would think I would pull a fast one on people.

If I was going to do the TV production 2 year degree I would only have to take 1 math class either Math Modeling or College Algebra. Then that would be it.

Its frustrating because when I have a plan to go to school to major what I want, I cant! Now I have to find something now that I can have a career where a job is secured and have a good salary.

So I have to look for a job ASAP to tie me over to make rent, I cant really move in with my parents they didnt say that I cant stay with them but there actions speak louder then words. Im trying to find a career which has a study salary rate so I can move out of my sisters place and finally be on my own. I just need to find a career that is 2 years or less, that I can be good at and take classes without failing. Not to mention figure out what else interest me besides TV/Film production.

This is depressing and disappointing!
Go to school for a real career, wait tables at night or load trucks in a warehouse

Old 07-02-2014, 02:18 AM

285 posts, read 1,206,199 times
@brightdoglover! Oh no I know that is fast pace Im talking about for other careers that I would like it/ easier if it was calm and slow pace. I know what to expect a little bit I took 3 years of video production in high school it was project and after project and facing deadlines.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:17 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
If going to college make sure it's a STEM major. Otherwise skip college and learn a SKILLED trade. Otherwise it will be a life of working multiple part time minimum wage jobs with no benefits in a revolving door fashion.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
If going to college make sure it's a STEM major. Otherwise skip college and learn a SKILLED trade. Otherwise it will be a life of working multiple part time minimum wage jobs with no benefits in a revolving door fashion.
Make it a TE major. Science majors suck and Mathematics isn't much better. The good majors or Accounting Finance, some engineering, or computers or anything that sets you up for healthcare.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:49 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
How old are you? What size of a metro area are you in? I don't see a two year dgree in video production doing anything for you. Right now, life is not about finding yourself or doing something you are interested in, it is about finding any job (or multiple part time jobs) to get a paycheck. You are not pulling your weight and you are a burden on your sister and her family. How many jobs have you apllied for this week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment