Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 02:34 PM

331 posts, read 548,071 times

Advertisements

Not much you can to "get back in the game" if you graduated over a year ago and haven't been working a good job in the meantime. You won't get looked at by any companies offering good jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 02:41 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times
I wouldn't say this is true, some people go on church missions before or after college for 2 years, BUT they can put that on their resume. If you simply haven't been doing anything then yes, it will look very very bad. Take a lower wage job, volunteer, just do something productive and regimented.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:52 PM

382 posts, read 664,523 times
I would not say it is true but it wouldn't look good. Would need something to "pay your dues" in the meantime. That is what I am doing currently....

Old 06-28-2014, 02:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Not true but I'm assuming you're just venting.

What's on your resume? Are you looking nationally? Have you asked all of your family and friends to look at the internal job postings at their companies?

Old 06-28-2014, 03:00 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
I don't think that's true either. You could do some form of volunteer work or get an online job. While I was unemployed, I volunteered at a congressman's office, tutored and did elections every year. You just have to keep going and not give up.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I wouldn't say this is true, some people go on church missions before or after college for 2 years, BUT they can put that on their resume.
Before and after are two very different things. The chronological order of your History on your resume is important.

Let's pretend you're a decent student (3.3 GPA, 1 summer internship) in, say, Accounting or Computer Science, and you don't get a job lined up because you plan on doing a Mission Trip for 2 years immediately after graduation. When you get back to the States 2 years later, your job options will be significantly fewer than when you were a fresh grad.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:21 PM

271 posts, read 369,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
Not much you can to "get back in the game" if you graduated over a year ago and haven't been working a good job in the meantime. You won't get looked at by any companies offering good jobs.
I know people who worked years in retail, driving taxis or were salespersons after college. They went back to graduate school and were lucky to be hired right after but some never pulled this off and of course ended up with the same jobs they had before or continued to be on welfare. There are plenty of people who cannot find a job after college or graduate school. It is increasingly common that people never hold a white color job after college. Let’s say you have experience (in a perfect age) have been unemployed for a year and just looked for white-color job – you chances to get an interview drop to maybe 10 percent to 1 percent after the first year.

College students (without experience) maybe get an interview on one to five of 100 resumes they send out the first year. If you have been unemployed for a year or more – your chance of getting an interview for a white-color job (depending on degree of course) is not even close to one percent. For many people it means you will be permanent unemployed and somewhere around here people jump on non-skilled job or just continue to be unemployed. I actually talked to my mother about this. She was hiring a experienced lawyer to her accounting department. She got around 50 resumes. The absolute best person had a one year gap because she had been laid off. It didn’t matter that she was on the top among those 50 resumes. They ended up hiring the fourth or fifth best instead with no gap. Welcome to 2014 labormarket.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:42 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
OP, you HAVE a job! Stop whining and start working on turning it into your NEXT job.

So-called "good" jobs don't just appear magically after graduation for most people.

Do you have something against patience and paying your dues?

Old 06-28-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OP, you HAVE a job! Stop whining and start working on turning it into your NEXT job.

So-called "good" jobs just don't appear magically after graduation.

Do you have something against patience and paying your dues?
I never said that good jobs magically appear after graduation, but someone who went to a decent school and majored in something that isn't Liberal Arts will at least be able to get interviews when he graduates. With only a Math degree and a base level of self-taught programming, I was able to get interviews for tons of good positions after I graduated. I've applied for those same positions after having related experience and yet I can't get any interviews! I could nail those interviews if the current me had just graduated, because I know how to sell my recent experience. Too late, though.

And my current position will not lead to anything better. I've been explicitly told that by one of the higher-ups. The client company has no interest in hiring temps, is not allowed to even suggest to a temp that he apply for a full-time position, does not let temps see their performance reviews, does not give temps access to the internal job listings. So I have to get out of this position if I'm motivated to advance into a good career. Unfortunately, quitting my position will make me unemployed which will make it even harder to get a job. Nothing to do but trudge on and hope for a miracle.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
And my current position will not lead to anything better. I've been explicitly told that by one of the higher-ups. The client company has no interest in hiring temps, is not allowed to even suggest to a temp that he apply for a full-time position, does not let temps see their performance reviews, does not give temps access to the internal job listings. So I have to get out of this position if I'm motivated to advance into a good career. Unfortunately, quitting my position will make me unemployed which will make it even harder to get a job. Nothing to do but trudge on and hope for a miracle.
WAIT!! You're currently employed and you're all gloomy? Don't you know that you can spin your current employment into something greater and permanent?

Sounds like you're still a brooding college kid. Get over what didn't happen for you and start focusing on what WILL HAPPEN for you in the future.

Since you have money coming in, you have the luxury of some time to really plan your next move, find target companies, etc. Take advantage of the good things that you do have.

Buck up kid. This is the real world.

Last edited by charlygal; 06-28-2014 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment