Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 05:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,425,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
This is one of those statements that darts between the truth and the truthiness gray area.

From a macro view, when capitalism is functional, this is how wages rose. The demand for workers in a certain sector got white hot, wages rose radically, this inspired young people or career changers to train to work in that sector and the virtuous cycle continued until the demand/labor equilibrium was met.

H1B visas throw a huge wrench into the gears of 'healthy capitalism'' because they create a downward pressure on wages via the willingness of people from ****tier countries with lower standards of living to accept less for the same job. This incentiveizes owners and management to champion labor migration since they have to pay less out in wages thus get to keep more of the money.

Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and owners/managers in tech squeal so loudly about the 'shortage' of qualified compsci workers but the reality is, if you took H1B's out of the equation and let the market-metabolism complete for what we had here in the US, wages would explode.

We're talking: Entry level, mid six figures, experienced, low seven figures, superstars would be bid on like professional sports All Stars.

Think we'd have a 'hard time' getting bright college students to take up Computer Science in THAT wage environment? Hell no. They all would, just like they gravitate to finance now, but that scenario is what Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates desperately want to avoid, because it means much higher wages and in turn, a real world higher standard of living for their employees instead of more 'theoretical wealth' for themselves.

It has never been about a 'shortage of workers'. It's always been about using 3rd World migration to pervert healthy, 1st World capitalism.
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 07:52 PM

384 posts, read 350,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I disagree, I've interviewed a lot of college grads and their studies in college are advanced but not specialized. Different than other countries that focuses on specializations and liberal arts is laughed at over there.

Which is why you can't find an Indian that could write good documentation even translated from their own language. It's not something they want to be specialized. The best technology workers I ever met are from Europe and their education system vastly outclass ours.

The reason the US does not product more STEM students because nobody wants to spend 4-8 years in school other to have a $40k salary. Every kid these day is transferring over to business so they can become office managers and hire IT contractors to do the work.
That's why we don't give h1 visas to liberal arts jobs. We actually excel in liberal arts.

The reason why we don't produce more good quality STEM students in the US is because the quality of education is abysmal at most schools.

Competent computer scientists make quite a bit more than $40k... even after just 4 years in college.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Not crazy, but it is naive. Big corporations fund the election campaigns of our elected officials. They care only about those companies' bottom lines, not you or me.
Corporations and Churches (and similar organizations) should be banned from participating in elections. We don't need that kind of perversion in the government.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,874,688 times
There have been some great replies here. I can't respond to them all so I'll just add my 2 cents.

I worked at a company that was bringing over H-1B visa workers as entry level accountants. I don't know how they got away with that since there are plenty of accountants and accountanting graduates looking for jobs. I tried to find details on this but wasn't able to.

There is a small paper in my community that publishes once a week. Occasionally, in the employment section there well be a job posted with very specific requirements. This always raises my suspicion and I figure they are doing it to show they advertised the position and no Americans fit the requirements. I would think that if you're looking for employees with specific experience you would want to advertise in the area's largest newspaper instead of one published once a week.

Paralegal is already being done in India and some accounting functions are being done too.

I have also seen Indians favor other Indians for jobs.

Currently on NetFlix there is a documentary called "Office Tiger" that focuses on an Indian outsourcing company started by 2 Americans that operates in India. This may provide some insight into the Indian job market and living conditions.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 PM

22,569 posts, read 12,137,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
That's why we don't give h1 visas to liberal arts jobs. We actually excel in liberal arts.

The reason why we don't produce more good quality STEM students in the US is because the quality of education is abysmal at most schools.

Competent computer scientists make quite a bit more than $40k... even after just 4 years in college.
Well, congratulations! You just insulted thousands of American citizen STEM/IT workers! You know, who I'm talking about --- the ones who have had to clean up messes made by H1-B visa holders because most H1-Bs are mediocre at best and downright incompetent at worst.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well, congratulations! You just insulted thousands of American citizen STEM/IT workers! You know, who I'm talking about --- the ones who have had to clean up messes made by H1-B visa holders because most H1-Bs are mediocre at best and downright incompetent at worst.
We're talking about computer scientists here. Microsoft and Facebook don't hire these low quality coders. We aren't talking about an IT guy at a finance company. We're talking about computer scientists at Microsoft and Facebook.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
We're talking about computer scientists here. Microsoft and Facebook don't hire these low quality coders. We aren't talking about an IT guy at a finance company. We're talking about computer scientists at Microsoft and Facebook.
Seriously? Gates and Zuckerberg are constantly lying and saying that they can't find Americans and want more H1-Bs. They most certainly hire H-1Bs over Americans.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Seriously? Gates and Zuckerberg are constantly lying and saying that they can't find Americans and want more H1-Bs. They most certainly hire H-1Bs over Americans.
You misunderstood my post. Gates and Zuckerberg are not hiring low quality H1Bs that write low quality code. They hire competent H1Bs. That's also why they pay H1Bs very well and not the typical $40/hr or whatever an H1B in IT gets. The competent H1Bs (just like the competent American computer scientists) get absorbed by the tech industry... leaving the lesser quality individuals for the other industries.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
You misunderstood my post. Gates and Zuckerberg are not hiring low quality H1Bs that write low quality code. They hire competent H1Bs. That's also why they pay H1Bs very well and not the typical $40/hr or whatever an H1B in IT gets. The competent H1Bs (just like the competent American computer scientists) get absorbed by the tech industry... leaving the lesser quality individuals for the other industries.
I suggest that you read post #104 in this thread.

Gates and Zuckerberg do NOT need to hire H1-Bs. Period. They can easily find competent American citizens to take their jobs.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 AM

GolfProfessional is also in this thread claiming that Indians are better educated than Americans when it comes to STEM/IT:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...on-reform.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment