Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:56 PM

322 posts, read 384,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
You misunderstood my post. Gates and Zuckerberg are not hiring low quality H1Bs that write low quality code. They hire competent H1Bs. That's also why they pay H1Bs very well and not the typical $40/hr or whatever an H1B in IT gets. The competent H1Bs (just like the competent American computer scientists) get absorbed by the tech industry... leaving the lesser quality individuals for the other industries.
$40/hr is not well? I'd be happy as a clam if I made that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 02:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
I once worked for an small Indian-owned IT company. I have no major complaints, other than their checks bounced a couple of times.

I see the issue as one of credentialism on the one hand, and corporatism on the other. Many companies only barely understand what IT actually does, and struggle to even enunciate coherent position requirements. So on paper, that H1B looks as good as, or superior to, most American candidates. The reality is very possibly quite different. I have worked with very competent, high level immigrants from India and China, and also with incompetent, terrible ones.

I also think that high fixed costs of certain categories of employees, particularly the aging, plays into this, in addition to the uncertainty caused by Obamacare, add to caution in hiring in general. If a company can offload these costs and risks in contracting, why would it not do so? Also worth mentioning is the general decline in wages is in part attributable to the mass influx of women into the workforce over the past 40+ years. While beneficial in many ways, it should be clear that one of its costs is wage depression.

Instead of writing my representative or wasting time on the political process, I will do my small part by advocating the training up of entry-level employees at my organization. This does not solve all needs, but does create a talent pipeline.
Actually a lot of Indian firms are desperately looking to hire Americans who are willing to lead or help set standards for these outsourcing firms. They would usually go with the low-ball rate approach then when they run out of time or couldn't find someone they would slowly up the rate and interview to see what is the sweet spot they can get for an American who can lead and represent them. Once they hire an American, they would use them to setup shop and scope the projects then pull them off and replace with cheaper Indians to carry on and bill. Their goal is to use Americans as trainers so they can sponge off all of our etiquette, techniques, and replace with their cheaper hires.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:58 PM

45 posts, read 53,574 times
Well I just had a falling out with the Indian IT staffing company I mentioned earlier and now I'm out of a job. Don't think I'll be getting any references from these guys any time soon. I paranoid part of me thinks they've known I've posted here...

Old 07-14-2014, 03:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Sorry to hear this news. What happened?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:01 PM

45 posts, read 53,574 times
I think they may have been aware of my presence on these forums and my harsh criticisms of their hiring and b2b practices. A part of me is relieved to be out of that toxic environment but now the search for a new job begins...

Old 07-14-2014, 04:22 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Best of luck in the job search, Sargon.

I hope that before you left that you were able to document their abuses.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:38 PM

431 posts, read 600,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I've even heard of a plan to bring over teachers.
Plans? It's already being done;
Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Educati: 2014 H1B Visa Report(Occupation) | MyVisaJobs.com

Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 PM

384 posts, read 349,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I suggest that you read post #104 in this thread.

Gates and Zuckerberg do NOT need to hire H1-Bs. Period. They can easily find competent American citizens to take their jobs.
They may seem competent on paper... but once you get to the interview process, it becomes very evident. This is why silicon valley hires the majority of American hires from only a small number of schools. We only have a small number of schools in the U.S. that product competent computer scientists. (We're not talking about IT, here. Since IT is an easier discipline, we are able to produce a fair amount of IT workers.)

Old 07-14-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Please provide some facts to back up this statement.
nsf.gov

Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Just because two of the most well known (and profitable) companies want more H1-B's doesn't mean that we should open the flood gates.

Everyone wants to work at Microsoft and Facebook. They can afford to be picky and choose the "best of the best" and they do pay h1-B's very well.

Other companies have been caught with their pants down though. That is the problem.
It's not just two companies. The entire tech industry is in need of competent computer scientists.

I agree with you 100% that we shouldn't be importing them (in the long term). Instead, as a nation, we should start producing adequately skilled people in larger numbers. However, it hasn't been a priority for us, unfortunately. We seem to feel perfectly fine producing low quality graduates in large numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment