Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,753,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Giver View Post
The hypocrisy is strong with this one.
I see no hypocrisy.

The OP dished it out first, attacking those who are struggling to make it in this economy, and he got it back accordingly.

If there's a problem with that, too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:43 PM

9 posts, read 11,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I came from a less than stellar background also.

I have compassion and that's why I believe (like the OP) that making excuses is counterproductive to building a successful future.
Agreed. All this codling and so-called compassion is just perpetuating peoples' failure. Everyone is afraid to give constructive criticism these days. They would rather see someone ruin their life than hurt their feelings.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:44 PM

384 posts, read 349,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't take any grown man who enjoys My Little Pony seriously...

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
Eh. It's much better than someone who defends a father who murdered his baby in order to be able to go to work where he earns $120,000.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...is-1-year.html

Old 07-12-2014, 08:47 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
i hear you you are preaching to the choir. the problem is for those seeking to be justified, you and i are the last person in the world they want to talk to. we remind them of their pile of dirty laundry back in their room. much easier to move into a new place with fresh laundry than clean up our own.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times
Sorry for your bad childhood, it does sound rough.

But for you to say " I had no one to give me any helping hands" when you were given several scholarships which allowed you to attend college, and to not acknowledge that or give credit to those who provided those scholarships makes you come off bad.

It wasn't you ALONE who got you where you are today.

Since you're 27 don't know if you know who Carol Burnett is. But let's go with that you know who she is.

She is someone who had two raging alcoholics as parents and grew up in poverty during the Great Depression to become one of the most beloved entertainers in history.

While she was on scholarship at UCLA when she was given the opportunity due to a generous donor to go to New York to pursue her career. The deal was she must never disclose who he was, and if she were to be successful she was to pay it forward. She kept both promises.

She still talks about this to this day, she realizes she didn't get where she was on her own to become a big star.

It's called humility, you could use some.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry for your bad childhood, it does sound rough.

But for you to say " I had no one to give me any helping hands" when you were given several scholarships which allowed you to attend college, and to not acknowledge that or give credit to those who provided those scholarships makes you come off bad.

It wasn't you ALONE who got you where you are today.

Since you're 27 don't know if you know who Carol Burnett is. But let's go with that you know who she is.

She is someone who had two raging alcoholics as parents and grew up in poverty during the Great Depression to become one of the most beloved entertainers in history.

While she was on scholarship at UCLA when she was given the opportunity due to a generous donor to go to New York to pursue her career. The deal was she must never disclose who he was, and if she were to be successful she was to pay it forward. She kept both promises.

She still talks about this to this day, she realizes she didn't get where she was on her own to become a big star.

It's called humility, you could use some.
i am all for gratitude and humility and giving credit and more to those that helped us get here. what i dont like is those on the bottom of the food chain telling me i am white and lucky. the eddie murphy explanation of income inequality.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Giver View Post
Agreed. All this codling and so-called compassion is just perpetuating peoples' failure. Everyone is afraid to give constructive criticism these days. They would rather see someone ruin their life than hurt their feelings.
Not my point at all.

The OP's arrogance and misplaced anger tarnish his story. In my experience, people who have actually been through what he claims are not so judgmental but more interested in helping/mentoring people who are in similar situations.

But whatever. Um .... Congratulations?

Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,990,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Your lack of compassion is surprising, however, since usually people who have "been there" understand the pitfalls and can relate to those excuses.
Excuses-making often perpetuates failure. So called "forgiveness" in such cases is the least compassionate path, and usually it is done simply as the easy path for the listener to take.

PS: I do fully agree with "paying it forward", and given the OP's background, I would bet if he chose to volunteer (spare time) with orgs helping people turn their lives around, his past history and present situation would be inspirational for them.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Excuses-making often perpetuates failure. So called "forgiveness" in such cases is the least compassionate path, and usually it is done simply as the easy path for the listener to take.
Eh?

My whole point is that the people who rant the loudest and judge the quickest about something like this usually have the LEAST amount of life experience, have dealt with the least amount of loss and have the biggest chips on their shoulders.

The ones who actually have survived traumatic experiences USUALLY are quiet in the face of such bluster because they know what it really takes to overcome. And they're often willing to help others overcome as well.

And there's a BIG difference between being compassionate and bending over.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:05 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,990,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Eh?
Eh what? Did it ever occur to you that compassion is sometimes not sincere, but simply a means to end discussing topics folks find uncomfortable? If one feigns compassion, the discussion often ends faster, but that was the inverse of compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment