Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:04 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Nice try. Student loans are the ONLY way a lot of people can go to school and in my case there really weren't ant community colleges close by.. That being said, I don't feel sorry for people going into massive debt for worthless degrees.
But at the same time what others are saying is to attend a two year school first.

I think it can be argued that the "extras" that are at a four year school are not always used by everyone.

Not everyone is in the sports teams
Not everyone uses the pool
Not everyone uses the library
Not everyone lives in a dorm
Not everyone is in a frat/sorority

A two year school can get much of the basics out of the way so you aren't some freshmen in some 101 class filled with seniors killing time.

Also remember he might actually be working there part time on the side or be the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 04:11 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,749 times
Usually someone involved in theater is outgoing enough to do well in sales. Acting is selling the audience on a story and a character, so sales or jobs that require an outgoing personality would be a good fit.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:24 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I was looking at Facebook and saw the profile of a guy I grew up with. He was always into theater, so he went to a local private school that cost around $30k annually just in tuition at the time. Five years post graduation, the guy's Facebook shows him as employed at Dunkin' Donuts and he has a picture of himself in his work uniform.

Do you know many people that have made such a grave professional and financial error?
Do you know if he actually graduated or are you assuming he graduated? Do you also know if he stayed at this same school for all 4 years? Also, do you know if maybe his parents or some other sort of income might have paid for the school?

It is quick to judge someone because you see them in a picture, but do you really know what has been going on with his life for the past 9 years?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:28 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Maybe he is "acting" like he works at Dunkin' Donuts.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:29 PM

303 posts, read 396,406 times
OP, you know that people in the arts - even moderately successful people - often maintain flexible part-time employment in another field while also working in the field that they trained for... right? It's not like going to school for accounting, and they know that going in.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:41 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Interesting.

So although you were able to afford to put 4 kids through 2 years of college entirely, you have no sympathy for those who don't have parents who are well off enough to pay for their children's education.

Very interesting...
I paid less than $800 a semester at the community colleges, and the kids lived at home or paid their own living expenses - their choice. I was hardly well off when the kids were starting college - somehwere in the middle class, sure, well off? Not even close!

Kids today can access pell grants that will cover ALL tuition, books, and some amount of living expenses at the community colleges, so even if they don't have a parent to "pay" for it, using the community college to get your generals out of the way is a cost effect, smart decision.

In the highlights, my brother makes about $80-$90,000 per year, and has an alamony requirement (before taxes) of $36,000 per year - you can do the math, he's hardly "rich." He sent his daughter to a small private college at about $20,000 per year, and she majored in some feminist theory program, and lives in a comune on the west coast (Oregon, I think), working part time in a crafts feild.

I have no sympathy for people who make bad decisions, and then try to present it as somehow someone elses fault other than the decision maker!

Old 07-14-2014, 04:46 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
How much did college cost when you put yourself through it? A couple hundred dollars a semester?
$1200 per semester in the 70's and early 80'S, just short of $3800 in todays dollars, or about the tuition rate of a lot of state colleges and universities.

I worked full time and completed my senior year at night school. We had our first kid, and my wife had a car wreck with a compound tib/fib fracture. It can be done, you just have to want it, and be willing to do what it takes to get through it - but believe me, a drama major was not in the cards!

Old 07-14-2014, 04:49 PM

723 posts, read 868,921 times
God he must hate himself...

Old 07-14-2014, 04:58 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I paid less than $800 a semester at the community colleges, and the kids lived at home or paid their own living expenses - their choice. I was hardly well off when the kids were starting college - somehwere in the middle class, sure, well off? Not even close!

Kids today can access pell grants that will cover ALL tuition, books, and some amount of living expenses at the community colleges, so even if they don't have a parent to "pay" for it, using the community college to get your generals out of the way is a cost effect, smart decision.

In the highlights, my brother makes about $80-$90,000 per year, and has an alamony requirement (before taxes) of $36,000 per year - you can do the math, he's hardly "rich." He sent his daughter to a small private college at about $20,000 per year, and she majored in some feminist theory program, and lives in a comune on the west coast (Oregon, I think), working part time in a crafts feild.

I have no sympathy for people who make bad decisions, and then try to present it as somehow someone elses fault other than the decision maker!
It's just very smug to say you have no sympathy for another person when your kids were fortunate enough to have their mommy and daddy support them.

JMHO.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:04 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Welcome to OBlubber's America. Blame the morons of this country who continue to re-elect inept clowns who couldn't manage a wet fart after a dinner at taco bell much less run the country.

It has nothing to do with people getting expensive education. It has everything to do with Jobs not being created other than service level minimum wage jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment