Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
why would people get flak for it? how could it limit your career choices? if you go to a year ot to at CC, and then transfer to Princeton, no one will ever even know that you took classes at the CC unless they really scrutinize your transcripts. Most employers don't ask for transcripts.

The degree would say Princeton on it no matter if you spent 4 years or 2 years there.
You realise that Princeton doesn't offer transfer admission. So no, one cannot go to CC and then transfer to Princeton. I realise you are using Princeton as a mere example, but you have to realise that most Ivy League schools have either no transfer or very strict transfer policy. E.g. My university, The University of Pennsylvania, will only let you transfer if you have enough credits to transfer in a full two years. Also, my school does NOT accept many transfer credits unless they meet an incredibly high standard. Some departments do NOT accept transfer credits. You'd be hard pressed to get any English or Math credits to transfer to my school from a CC. The levels are COMPLETELY different. They do not accept Algebra credits for instance. One person was saying they should get basic things like Algebra out of the way at CC. They don't accept Calculus 1 credits either. These are things they assume you know coming INTO the school from High School. Some other requirements include Art History classes not being able to transfer if your previous institution didn't make you write X number of papers of 10 pages long each. Etc, etc. It is not easy to transfer credits into an Ivy, is my point. This is why you generally only see transfers coming here from other prestigious schools like Columbia or Harvard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
You realise that Princeton doesn't offer transfer admission. So no, one cannot go to CC and then transfer to Princeton. I realise you are using Princeton as a mere example, but you have to realise that most Ivy League schools have either no transfer or very strict transfer policy. E.g. My university, The University of Pennsylvania, will only let you transfer if you have enough credits to transfer in a full two years. Also, my school does NOT accept many transfer credits unless they meet an incredibly high standard. Some departments do NOT accept transfer credits. You'd be hard pressed to get any English or Math credits to transfer to my school from a CC. The levels are COMPLETELY different. They do not accept Algebra credits for instance. One person was saying they should get basic things like Algebra out of the way at CC. They don't accept Calculus 1 credits either. These are things they assume you know coming INTO the school from High School. Some other requirements include Art History classes not being able to transfer if your previous institution didn't make you write X number of papers of 10 pages long each. Etc, etc. It is not easy to transfer credits into an Ivy, is my point. This is why you generally only see transfers coming here from other prestigious schools like Columbia or Harvard.

Kinda sorta maybe.

RealiZe that even today one can still test out of various classes.

AP, IB and Pre-College Credit - Penn Admissions

That's quite a number if you ask me

Ironically that is the same place where I've taken online classes. Ironically they also have calculus...free
https://www.coursera.org/course/calcsing

Infact they have about 37 classes
https://www.coursera.org/penn

The professors are great but you do have to understand that if this is the way the direction is going it will change things. The other aspect is that if it is just about a name then frankly everything changes. Harvard has had an extension school for how long? Heck if you know Mass a bit you'll find there are feeder schools for Harvard and frankly if someone buys a house there it pretty much assures them a place in line for generations to come.

The issue I see with some high end institutions is frankly not all of them pay that much and in lieu of that offer the children of employees free tuition. Now that sounds nice at first but what incentive is there to perform at that point? I met an author and heard him off mic mention to another that it was the only real reason why he worked for that institution in the past. So if you are a professor and see the place filled with students of your coworkers are you *really* going to give them a bad grade? No of course not.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...d1N/story.html

In the end it is really the professors that have set standards not so much the institutions themselves. Anyone attending higher ed quickly understands that different professors want different things. I was pleased to find out that the public university I attended had work assignments comparable to a professor at Stanford University.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
ok on Princeton, but the point still remains. We had lots of transfer students at Lehigh. and of course you have to ensure credits will transfer when you map out these types of plans.

and we had lots of students take CC credits over the summer so that they could graduate early or with extra credits (to cover CPA requirements, for instance). last i checked, Lehigh was still in the top 35 overall, and is a top 10 undergrad accounting program.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
Which good private school are you referring to? I was leaning more towards a tier-1, top-25 ranked school (private and public). If the school isn't listed on the first few pages of this list, then I'm not really referring to that type of school in my earlier example.

U.S News National University Rankings

If it's an engineering or tech position, then they're probably going to hire someone with a tech background from a good program over the Devry or UPhoenix or ITT crowd.
I'd rather not say my school, but it's considered quite good - not "top 25," but that isn't even what you said in the other post. You also didn't say "someone with a tech background from a good program," so that is irrelevant to my reply as well. I repeat, they will likely hire the DeVry TECH grad over a NON-TECH grad even from a good (not Harvard) private school... and I know this for a fact, given a connection to both I would also rather not explain in detail.

I understand the for-profit schools aren't as widely respected, but in some fields they are perfectly fine - especially when you're comparing people with no tech background to those with a DeVry tech-related education. They are not as useless as people like to say, and I've seen many further their careers as a result. As much as I value my private-school Liberal Arts education, you'd be DUMB to hire me for something like an engineering job. I would suck, LOL. There is no education that is useless, in my opinion, and we all have different skills to bring to the table. That's all I'm saying!

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-22-2014 at 02:37 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM

898 posts, read 937,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'd rather not say my school, but it's considered quite good - not "top 25," but that isn't even what you said in the other post. You also didn't say "someone with a tech background from a good program," so that is irrelevant to my reply as well. I repeat, they will likely hire the DeVry TECH grad over a NON-TECH grad even from a good (not Harvard) private school... and I know this for a fact, given a connection to both I would also rather not explain in detail.

I understand the for-profit schools aren't as widely respected, but in some fields they are perfectly fine - especially when you're comparing people with no tech background to those with a DeVry tech-related education. They are not as useless as people like to say, and I've seen many further their careers as a result. As much as I value my private-school Liberal Arts education, you'd be DUMB to hire me for something like an engineering job. I would suck, LOL. There is no education that is useless, in my opinion, and we all have different skills to bring to the table. That's all I'm saying!
Comparing engineering to LA is comparing apples to oranges. I was referring to non-engineering, non-tech positions in my comment. I think if someone with a LA degree from a top-25 uni went head to head with someone with an undergrad (non-tech) degree from DeVry, the chances of getting the job would be in the favor of the person with the top-25 uni on their resume.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
Comparing engineering to LA is comparing apples to oranges. I was referring to non-engineering, non-tech positions in my comment. I think if someone with a LA degree from a top-25 uni went head to head with someone with an undergrad (non-tech) degree from DeVry, the chances of getting the job would be in the favor of the person with the top-25 uni on their resume.
Okay, I obviously misread... it sounded like you were comparing LA private school grads to tech DeVry grads for a TECH position, so that's what I was thinking about. And I do agree that your school matters, but the type of degree and background obviously matters too.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:20 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Daycare costs more than college in many states, so for those of us who've already been through daycare, it's a huge relief.

We spent $18k for 10 months of daycare for our 2 boys at a co-op school which is already cheaper than most daycares. So $9k each, and not even a year. In-state college tuition, $6500.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-22-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Yup. Practically half of my family (father, sister, grandfather, aunts & uncles, etc) went to UPenn, and one of my brothers went to Yale... so I can confirm you're correct, and in my entire life I've never heard of anyone transferring from a CC to these schools. It might happen every once in a blue moon, but probably only in VERY special circumstances.

I did the CC route myself, but actually in the middle of college! Started at University of Oregon, but was too busy partying and had a 1.something GPA... so I dropped out altogether for about a year, moved to Lake Tahoe, and got a job while figuring out my next move. I then decided to apply for a specific program at a private university, and they said I'd have to boost up the GPA first, which they recommended doing at the local CC. I took classes there for a year, getting a 4.0 the whole time, and also got a few GEs out of the way. It worked! I ended up being accepted to the new school, and transferred in with about a 3.0 (graduated with 3.4 IIRC). This wasn't done to save money, but did save me some time, and helped to erase that disastrous freshman year.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:36 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yup. Practically half of my family (father, sister, grandfather, aunts & uncles, etc) went to UPenn, and one of my brothers went to Yale... so I can confirm you're correct, and in my entire life I've never heard of anyone transferring from a CC to these schools. It might happen every once in a blue moon, but probably only in VERY special circumstances.

I did the CC route myself, but actually in the middle of college! Started at University of Oregon, but was too busy partying and had a 1.something GPA... so I dropped out altogether for about a year, moved to Lake Tahoe, and got a job while figuring out my next move. I then decided to apply for a specific program at a private university, and they said I'd have to boost up the GPA first, which they recommended doing at the local CC. I took classes there for a year, getting a 4.0 the whole time, and also got a few GEs out of the way. It worked! I ended up being accepted to the new school, and transferred in with about a 3.0 (graduated with 3.4 IIRC). This wasn't done to save money, but did save me some time, and helped to erase that disastrous freshman year.
Something that bothers me about the "GPA game" is that it's virtually impossible to make up for a bad showing. Let's say you went to school at 18, partied for a year, washed out, but came back to the same school at 25 with your s**t together. That old GPA would still be following you around. You'd have to either retake the courses ($$), start all over somewhere else ($$$$), or just deal with the low GPA, which could prohibit you from internships and certain job applications.

Academic (not criminal) mistakes you make less than a year out of high school shouldn't be so punitively punishing years down the line. I'm 28 and am certainly not the same guy I was 18, or even when I graduated at 24. I've gained a lot of maturity and perspective since then.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:09 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I paid less than $800 a semester at the community colleges, and the kids lived at home or paid their own living expenses - their choice. I was hardly well off when the kids were starting college - somehwere in the middle class, sure, well off? Not even close!

Kids today can access pell grants that will cover ALL tuition, books, and some amount of living expenses at the community colleges, so even if they don't have a parent to "pay" for it, using the community college to get your generals out of the way is a cost effect, smart decision.

In the highlights, my brother makes about $80-$90,000 per year, and has an alamony requirement (before taxes) of $36,000 per year - you can do the math, he's hardly "rich." He sent his daughter to a small private college at about $20,000 per year, and she majored in some feminist theory program, and lives in a comune on the west coast (Oregon, I think), working part time in a crafts feild.

I have no sympathy for people who make bad decisions, and then try to present it as somehow someone elses fault other than the decision maker!
This is an untrue blanket statement. Pell Grant requires financial need, and covers less than 6k of costs per year. I know because I had one 2007-2011.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/types/gran...how-much-money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment