Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,974,479 times

Advertisements

My favorite part of the article:

Asked if he had to swipe into his bathroom at work, Kersten (the CEO of said company) hesitated for a second and said: "No."

The hypocrisy is strong in this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 10:02 PM

701 posts, read 1,099,313 times
I have to wonder if the Board of Directors at WaterSaver has ever tried to calculate how much the negative publicity is going to affect their business, and how that balances out compared to the supposed increase in productivity.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:05 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,683,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
I have to wonder if the Board of Directors at WaterSaver has ever tried to calculate how much the negative publicity is going to affect their business, and how that balances out compared to the supposed increase in productivity.
Probably not. I'm guessing they never dreamed someone would leak (pardon the pun) this story. Now that it's gotten all this press and the union is involved, they will more than likely amend or completely reverse this policy, but the damage has already been done.

Real thinkers, they are.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 PM

701 posts, read 1,099,313 times
I guess they're not publicly held, or else their stock price would be in the crapper, on account of their CEO being a real [Mod snip.] . I'm sure they'd all like to wipe this incident from the company history and flush it from everyone's memory.

I promise to stop now.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-17-2014 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 PM

211 posts, read 267,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Don't abuse things.
Right. Employers shouldn't abuse their power.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:37 AM

576 posts, read 996,453 times
I work in a call center, and every minute of the 10 hour day that I work, I am accountable for. If I'm not actively taking calls, I better be in a phone state that explains what I'm doing. Too much of any of those phones states and management will address the issue.

I am allowed 15 minutes in every 10 hour day, of what is called "unplanned activity". To use more than that, is to be out of adherence. That Unplanned Activity can be anything from running to the bathroom, to the copy machine, stopping in to speak to your supv about something, maybe helping a co-worker to navigate some issue, etc.

Some days that 15 minutes of allowed "Unplanned Activity" can be awfully confining and hard to adhere to. Usually it's not a problem though.

We do get a lunch break, and two 15 minute breaks each day.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:06 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,494,055 times
This will be quite the inconvenience to those who want to play Candy Crush on the toilet, or who otherwise need the extra time. Period.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:08 AM

71 posts, read 81,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
I work in a call center, and every minute of the 10 hour day that I work, I am accountable for. If I'm not actively taking calls, I better be in a phone state that explains what I'm doing. Too much of any of those phones states and management will address the issue.

I am allowed 15 minutes in every 10 hour day, of what is called "unplanned activity". To use more than that, is to be out of adherence. That Unplanned Activity can be anything from running to the bathroom, to the copy machine, stopping in to speak to your supv about something, maybe helping a co-worker to navigate some issue, etc.

Some days that 15 minutes of allowed "Unplanned Activity" can be awfully confining and hard to adhere to. Usually it's not a problem though.

We do get a lunch break, and two 15 minute breaks each day.
Why do you work at such a terrible job in slave conditions?

Old 07-17-2014, 04:41 AM

11,522 posts, read 14,697,771 times
Ask nurses in a hospital how much time they get to go to the bathroom. I can guarantee you a large percentage don't reach the 6 minute mark. I remember it in the late 80's when I worked on a surgical unit. It's beyond what should be acceptable, but it's happening.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:52 AM

223 posts, read 301,139 times
I once worked in an office where on my first day on the job, the very first thing they "taught" me was their bathroom rules...only once in the morning and once in the afternoon...no longer than 5 minutes each time. They said they had a gal working there once who (on her first day), ran to the bathroom four times in the morning...and stunk up the whole place as the bathroom was right off the reception area. All I could think was, who wouldn't get a sour stomach working in that place?

I have seen employees abuse bathroom privileges though in offices when they would go in there just to make phone calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment