Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:13 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I suspect that many of you who are repulsed by this story are also gainfully employed, no?

So you have never got rejection letters from companies whose industries perform the kind of work a sixth-grader is capable of.
You have never been told you are overqualified for entry-level positions.
You have never been told you are not qualified enough for entry-level positions out of college.
You have never dealt with age discrimination in the "new"workforce where it doesn't matter if you had 20+ years of tenure at X company and were unjustly laid off.
You have never had to compete with immigrant laborers on their HB1 visas who can do the same work as you for lower wages.
You have never had to slog through hundreds and hundreds of applications only to end up with only three interviews and not one offer for all the effort you have gone through.

At that point if you have gone through at least 2 of the above scenarios then you may see the situation for what it is.

I seriously would rather be detained in Guantanamo Bay than to deal with today's job market any longer.
Hey, you might find a job there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
This story I read recently just made me really ROTFL!!!!

Missouri man admits to mailing cat poop to employers who rejected him

As someone who has also been on the receiving end of devious employers these days, I can honestly say I don't blame him for this stinky misdeed!!

Childish? Puerile? OK, yeah, maybe! Stupid? Ok, yes....but as you can see he must have put a lot of effort into this; and hey...it was just cat feces; at least he didn't send a pipe bomb though the mail!!

Just one more way humanity has shown that you cannot fix stupid but you can demonstrate it.

I don't see the humor in any of this at all and I would seriously question anyone who does find it funny.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:24 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times
Quote:
Oh c'mon....surely there is someone who understands this as well as I do?

Employers these days, as vile and treacherous as they are, probably should get worse than cat poop, and I know I will get flamed for this, but I don't care....
While I understand the sentiments being expressed with respect to maturity levels etc, I have to say I agreed with what you are saying as well. The job search has to be one of the most draining and frustrating experiences to have to undertake. You have to do so much work just to try and get a job, it's beyond ridiculous. I myself have a great work ethic within the scope of the job itself, but the amount of work required to get the job is ridiculous, especially when you end up being declined in spite of it.

That's the thing--you pour your heart and soul, all the passion and determination you can muster, into these job positions, only to be rejected numerous times despite your qualifications. Especially having to do those 35,098,234 question assessments, it's just nuts. To have to do all of that numerous times just to even have a CHANCE at a job, and then have to wait almost 2 weeks for a drug test to clear when you've been told you have the job otherwise, it's just a huge amount of stress and you get tired of it.

And yes, after awhile, you get TIRED of being told "that's life." Enough of this "anything worth getting requires effort." Okay, effort in and of itself, yes that's fine, but not practically having to give a kidney away, and at times it sure seems to require just that.

So yes, after awhile, someone's going to lash out. I'm not saying it's not immature in some ways and it's certainly not the optimal response, but as frustrating as this job search is, something's bound to boil over. It's also especially frustrating because we're talking about people applying for JOBS, not public assistance. You're talking about people willing to work to earn their money, and they feel like no one's giving them a chance.

To the extent that companies do some of the things they do with respect to how much they expect of you in applying for a job, with 80 million question assessments and 2 weeks of time needed just for a drug/background check to clear when you're THIS close to starting work, I think they kind of bring some of this "cat feces" actions onto themselves, frankly.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
While I understand the sentiments being expressed with respect to maturity levels etc, I have to say I agreed with what you are saying as well. The job search has to be one of the most draining and frustrating experiences to have to undertake. You have to do so much work just to try and get a job, it's beyond ridiculous. I myself have a great work ethic within the scope of the job itself, but the amount of work required to get the job is ridiculous, especially when you end up being declined in spite of it.

That's the thing--you pour your heart and soul, all the passion and determination you can muster, into these job positions, only to be rejected numerous times despite your qualifications. Especially having to do those 35,098,234 question assessments, it's just nuts. To have to do all of that numerous times just to even have a CHANCE at a job, and then have to wait almost 2 weeks for a drug test to clear when you've been told you have the job otherwise, it's just a huge amount of stress and you get tired of it.

And yes, after awhile, you get TIRED of being told "that's life." Enough of this "anything worth getting requires effort." Okay, effort in and of itself, yes that's fine, but not practically having to give a kidney away, and at times it sure seems to require just that.

So yes, after awhile, someone's going to lash out. I'm not saying it's not immature in some ways and it's certainly not the optimal response, but as frustrating as this job search is, something's bound to boil over. It's also especially frustrating because we're talking about people applying for JOBS, not public assistance. You're talking about people willing to work to earn their money, and they feel like no one's giving them a chance.

To the extent that companies do some of the things they do with respect to how much they expect of you in applying for a job, with 80 million question assessments and 2 weeks of time needed just for a drug/background check to clear when you're THIS close to starting work, I think they kind of bring some of this "cat feces" actions onto themselves, frankly.

You're really making me rethink my "kudos" moment to you earlier...... You are beginning to sound like a lot of the other folks who expect a job with little effort. You're not pouring your heart and soul into trying to get the job. You're filling out paperwork (1-2 hrs), interviewing 1-2 hrs), and then waiting for the background check to clear (no effort on your part aside from waiting).

Old 07-17-2014, 01:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Right...because your emergency should dictate the speed at which they get their job done.

I have news for you and the op - if high frustration and disgust really did warrant this kind of behavior, hiring managers would be mailing cat feces to half the applicants wasting their time.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:40 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Right...because your emergency should dictate the speed at which they get their job done.

I have news for you and the op - if high frustration and disgust really did warrant this kind of behavior, hiring managers would be mailing cat feces to half the applicants wasting their time.
I'm afraid my choice would be dog feces, in a paper bag, shipped to their doorstep with a note to the carrier: Set bag on fire, knock, and run.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:43 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
I worked at a bank once and they frequently got interesting things in the mail to say the lease. I remember overhearing them say they could press charges if they really wanted to for mailing poop and/or bodily fluids as it could cause harm to those opening the mail so I'd assume the same is true for personal delivery.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:47 PM

734 posts, read 1,082,652 times
@smoky_topaz, i have been rejected for a job i wanted but i didn't go and put cat poop in the mail and send it to them.

i am not a spiteful and deranged person so maybe that's why i can't understand why someone would do something like that.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:10 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,821 times
This dude really sat there and planned this out

Old 07-17-2014, 02:13 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You're really making me rethink my "kudos" moment to you earlier...... You are beginning to sound like a lot of the other folks who expect a job with little effort. You're not pouring your heart and soul into trying to get the job. You're filling out paperwork (1-2 hrs), interviewing 1-2 hrs), and then waiting for the background check to clear (no effort on your part aside from waiting).
Yes, to me that is a LOT of work, especially when you multiply this for every position you apply for. If that causes others to think I'm "lazy" I don't care. I have a very high work ethic at work itself, absolutely, but with remedial tasks, I have far less. I'm willing to put in a reasonable effort but come on, 1-2 hours per job is a HUGE amount of time for a job you may well not get, especially when multiplied by every position you apply for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment