Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 02:19 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Just one more way humanity has shown that you cannot fix stupid but you can demonstrate it.

I don't see the humor in any of this at all and I would seriously question anyone who does find it funny.
I think if I were 20, I'd find this hilarious.

However, I'm not 20 anymore.

Not that certain employers don't need to be called on the carpet for their tactics during the entire interview process...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 02:22 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
I'm sure that those companies are regretting their not hiring him now.
Yeah, this just proves the company made the right call.

Also, I'm really puzzled by why some people consider his acts to be revenge? Revenge implies retaliation or retribution for being wronged. The company decided to hire someone else. They didn't do him an injustice.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:26 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,311,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I think if I were 20, I'd find this hilarious.

However, I'm not 20 anymore.

Not that certain employers don't need to be called on the carpet for their tactics during the entire interview process...

^ this

There's ways of getting back at people, that are a bit more professional. For example, if you've been burned by a recruitment agency, don't work with them either as a candidate or an employer. Take your money elsewhere.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Yeah, this just proves the company made the right call.

Also, I'm really puzzled by why some people consider his acts to be revenge? Revenge implies retaliation or retribution for being wronged. The company decided to hire someone else. They didn't do him an injustice.
I'm unable to rep you for a while or I would - but this is a great and overlooked point. The company did nothing wrong, therefore, it's not revenge.

He not only took time to plot this out - he did it twenty times. Sick act x twenty is really bad. He's lucky he didn't do prison time because mailing hazardous material like this would warrant that.

As for this being something only the young would find funny, I believe the guy who did this is in his fifties. I accidentally clicked on the op's name when posting earlier and I'm unable to tell how young she is based on her photo. Younger than me - but that's not saying much.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,545 times
Immature or not...yes, the guy was about 58. I guess numerical age has little to do with actual maturity.

Can someone look up the word "schadenfreude"? Because I feel like it is an excellent word to define TPTB in today's hiring market.

I sometimes think back to watching American Idol...Simon seemed to get some kind of sick pleasure out of rejecting some of the contestants...but I think he's relatively sane compared to hiring managers. At least, in 2 minutes, you will know if you have got what it takes to be a superstar....or not! Rejected contestants leave in droves, some with their feelings hurt, some crying...but hey, at least they didn't get strung along for two weeks waiting to see if the judges thought they had "talent" or not...I don't know if this is a good analogy, or not...but somehow this topic made me think of the show.

And mPowering1...I am 36.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
He's probably wrong but some employers deserve this. I have been rejected, only to see them hire an incompetent idiot. Then again if they are stupid enough to hire a moron I don't want to work here.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Immature or not...yes, the guy was about 58. I guess numerical age has little to do with actual maturity.

Can someone look up the word "schadenfreude"? Because I feel like it is an excellent word to define TPTB in today's hiring market.

I sometimes think back to watching American Idol...Simon seemed to get some kind of sick pleasure out of rejecting some of the contestants...but I think he's relatively sane compared to hiring managers. At least, in 2 minutes, you will know if you have got what it takes to be a superstar....or not! Rejected contestants leave in droves, some with their feelings hurt, some crying...but hey, at least they didn't get strung along for two weeks waiting to see if the judges thought they had "talent" or not...I don't know if this is a good analogy, or not...but somehow this topic made me think of the show.

And mPowering1...I am 36.

You could add quite a few to that number and still be younger than me.

Some day I hope you're on the other side of the desk to get a better understanding of why it can take two weeks.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:53 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
I suspect that many of you who are repulsed by this story are also gainfully employed, no?
They probably are or got the job over someone more qualified.

Quote:
So you have never got rejection letters from companies whose industries perform the kind of work a sixth-grader is capable of.
I don't know if I would be upset getting rejected for these job.

Quote:
You have never been told you are overqualified for entry-level positions.
I get this all the time, they question why I'd want these jobs. If I applied I am interested.

Quote:
You have never been told you are not qualified enough for entry-level positions out of college.
Yep got this one, where an employer told me my skills were not what they wanted because they were a different software. However, I knew the other program but they judged me on not knowing something new.

Quote:
You have never dealt with age discrimination in the "new"workforce where it doesn't matter if you had 20+ years of tenure at X company and were unjustly laid off.
Yep I was actually told I was too old for the position.
Quote:
You have never had to compete with immigrant laborers on their HB1 visas who can do the same work as you for lower wages.
Dealt with this.

Quote:
You have never had to slog through hundreds and hundreds of applications only to end up with only three interviews and not one offer for all the effort you have gone through.
Yep this too.The worst is when you apply for a job you fit to a T including the specific education and experience and get rejected an hour later.

Quote:
At that point if you have gone through at least 2 of the above scenarios then you may see the situation for what it is.

I seriously would rather be detained in Guantanamo Bay than to deal with today's job market any longer.
The job market is cruel and these employers often make it worse. I have left interviews in tears because they told me I was too old, too stupid, a woman, useless whatever. Those employers are ones I wish I had cat poop too

Old 07-17-2014, 07:32 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
I get a kick out of some of the comments below the article.. like.. ""Well this won't look on a resume"..

I would hope he'd be smart enough to leave this off the resume

Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I'm amazed some company actually did hire him after this stunt. I wouldn't want to be working with a nut job like this, these are the guys who come in with a gun and take revenge on people who "wronged them."

Glad they caught the moron, but he should have gotten time.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment