Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM

158 posts, read 273,728 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Charlotte. The COL change is going to be so much bigger than you are thinking. 80K down here (I am currently in the Raleigh area) will buy you A LOT more. I have friends who moved down here and were SO surprised by what their money could buy here. Houses, for example...you can get a 3000 sq foot house in a suburb pretty close to a city for less than 300k, often 250k is about normal for that. My parents still live in Charlotte and there is a lot to do there. I love to go downtown now, the scene has really changed. lots of activities. I would do it. I lived in NY for 2 years and the snow was just enough to make me crazy lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
IT's a tough call. Is this purely for financial reasons or do you look forward to warmer weather... nicer home (I guess that is financial but in a sense lifestlye also...)? How will your commute differ?

Old 07-28-2014, 05:39 PM

475 posts, read 900,822 times
If it was me with 2 little ones and a good secure job I would stay put until I reached an age I could retire. That is in fact what I did and was able to retire early.Often 25 years of service or age 50 or 55 will get you out the door with your pension. Then I would head out to wherever struck my fancy. Which is what I did and will do again soon.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 PM

162 posts, read 228,856 times
I wanted to apply to NY because of feeling "comfortable". I later on took a long look at my life and noticed how there is nothing in NY for me. I decided to adventure out. I feared change and I was scared of the unknown. I NEVER lived outside of Ny, my place of comfort. Little did I know, that way of living was killing me. Plus, I was getting bored. I have lived here in CT for a year now. I attend medical school here and I am enjoying it. I want to travel more now! A lot of opportunities have opened to me as well as soon as I decided to take a risk. I wouldn't have met a lot of people and made the connections I have now if I would have stayed in NY. I left my family behind too, but they understand. That was another thing, I cared about what my friends would think. Most of them stayed in NY because of family. It made me feel guilty for some reason. I felt like I was abandoning my family. But I wasn't. I had to do what was best for me. I still call and visit them, so no, I did not abandon them. My parents wanted me to adventure out and I am grateful I have their support! Some parents want you to stay by their side forever, no matter if it was damaging to your career. Anyways, my next move is in the pacific northwest. I visited Washington, and I loved it there too. Like it was stated above, life is an adventure and life is too short to be scared and think about "What ifs". But, it depends on what you want. Make a list of pros/cons for staying and leaving. That can help. For me, the pros outweighed the cons when moving. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:19 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
sounds like you have a bit of imposter syndrome...don't worry, you're probably fine.

one more thing about my move is that with our lower COL my wife no longer has to work so that's been great and overall she's happier.

sounds like your wife will be happy in NC.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:23 PM

162 posts, read 228,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared_Of_Change View Post
This statement is so true and I keep telling myself this. Being in the same place for too many years I'm starting to get that feeling that I need a change. Add to that the brutal winters here in CT and it should definitely seem like a no brainer and that's why its driving me crazy. I guess I'm holding on to what I've known all my life.
The winters are horrible in CT though. Upstate Ny was pretty bad this year too. Schools were canceled so many times this year!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 PM

438 posts, read 653,859 times
Quote:
There's so much uncertainty!

There! You said it yourself. You would be making a mistake to think that you're safe in your current job. No one is safe in any job anymore. Haven't you noticed how globalization, technology, and political trends are changing things everywhere? Unless you are the owner of the business you can be fired, and you will be fired as soon as the people above you realize that they can get somebody else to do your job for less. If the job is easy and they are paying you a reasonably decent salary to do it, its only a matter of time.

I'm surprised that as an experienced registered nurse your wife has not been able to get steady full time work. Is that by choice? If I were you I would move. Do not be afraid to embrace change. If you plan it right it usually works to your advantage. Just research this new company thoroughly before you make a decision.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Careers don't stagnate, people do.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
I guess the worst case is that I may hate the job and regret losing the flexibility I'm giving up. I wouldn't feel guilty about leaving family but I would miss them and my oldest son has developed a good relationship with his cousins and grandparents.

In all honesty its really only one level above my current job so I shouldn't be this nervous right?
I'd calculate how often you could get enough time to fly in the whole family, factor it into the annual fixed budget, and determine how many days (exclude flying days) that would mean your family would spend with the relatives they are close to.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 AM

723 posts, read 868,921 times
No way in hell would I give up a situation like the one you're in. No way, not when the US in the economic situation that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment