Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,382,931 times

Advertisements

after seeing people around me, and some fellow classmates who are popular/unpopular in high school, and people with degrees and without, i came to this finding... you guys can agree with me or not.

i see that there are people who go to school and get the dipolma, but they struggle in life. then there are people who are popular, smart, sharp, knows what to say to people on top and on the bottom of them, put on a thick face when BS happens, on top of work ethic, they surpass people with degrees who are not as sharp. after so many jobs and i just came to the conclusion that even today, all a person needs is a hs dipolma and a drive to succeed. ive been to many jobs where i see managers or supervisors that at least make 35k without an education. 80k was tops. everywhere they go, it doesnt matter what job they do, sooner or later they will rise up and up.

I understand that for some people, such as a old classmate of mines, the ones who are sharp, knows whats around them, senses things 10 steps ahead, its like no matter what life or situations throws at them, they will just treat it as a small problem. even in super high stress management positions i see these people thrive.

on the other hand, the folks with degrees, some make good money, some tried but are still in a underpaying field, while a sharp person who gets laid off can just go to any low level job and get promoted.

do you guys agree? on my facebook i saw where the popular kids are at now, and heck, even in high school popular kids have that "people" skill where if there is some gossip or bullying, they know what to say and other people will back them up, while an unpopular person will just crumble. ive seen people who tried to be popular, only to get bullied.

im not saying these sharp people are not book smart, i do know people who were the whole package, got a degree and is sharp, and they make 6 figures. they get into that kind of high level work, and then get promoted to supervisor role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 09:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,751,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
sharp/smart people get better jobs?
Not necessarily.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:11 AM

741 posts, read 916,620 times
Intelligence is like a violin.
It's not about the raw capabilities if your instrument, it's all about what you do with whatever instrument you're given.

There are a lot of people in this world who were given a Stradivarius-worth of intelligence but chose to put it in the closet and never use it whole others were handed hardly much more than a Yamaha yet diligently worked to master it.

There are less intelligent people who are hugely more successful in life than people with significantly higher intelligence simply because intelligence alone isn't all it takes to succeed, however if you combine intelligence with the traits required for success, you usually get someone who creates jobs.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:12 AM

50,880 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
after seeing people around me, and some fellow classmates who are popular/unpopular in high school, and people with degrees and without, i came to this finding... you guys can agree with me or not.

i see that there are people who go to school and get the dipolma, but they struggle in life. then there are people who are popular, smart, sharp, knows what to say to people on top and on the bottom of them, put on a thick face when BS happens, on top of work ethic, they surpass people with degrees who are not as sharp. after so many jobs and i just came to the conclusion that even today, all a person needs is a hs dipolma and a drive to succeed. ive been to many jobs where i see managers or supervisors that at least make 35k without an education. 80k was tops. everywhere they go, it doesnt matter what job they do, sooner or later they will rise up and up.

I understand that for some people, such as a old classmate of mines, the ones who are sharp, knows whats around them, senses things 10 steps ahead, its like no matter what life or situations throws at them, they will just treat it as a small problem. even in super high stress management positions i see these people thrive.

on the other hand, the folks with degrees, some make good money, some tried but are still in a underpaying field, while a sharp person who gets laid off can just go to any low level job and get promoted.

do you guys agree? on my facebook i saw where the popular kids are at now, and heck, even in high school popular kids have that "people" skill where if there is some gossip or bullying, they know what to say and other people will back them up, while an unpopular person will just crumble. ive seen people who tried to be popular, only to get bullied.

im not saying these sharp people are not book smart, i do know people who were the whole package, got a degree and is sharp, and they make 6 figures. they get into that kind of high level work, and then get promoted to supervisor role.
If you're asking if good social skills help you get ahead in life, the answer is yes. This applies to jobs, romance, and most everything else that involves interacting with others.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:16 AM

29,837 posts, read 24,942,627 times
And the really sharp/smart ones become your boss

Old 08-02-2014, 10:22 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,382,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you're asking if good social skills help you get ahead in life, the answer is yes. This applies to jobs, romance, and most everything else that involves interacting with others.

yes that too. I have a friend who is sharp and very good socially. everywhere and every country he went, he get women like its a buffet. hes positive, smart, have his sh*t together, knows what to say quick, gets people on his side, and every job he goes to he gets promoted and respected. the people who tries to take him down will eventually give up or gets embarrassed since he is pretty much a wolf. he is an awesome friend and has taught me many things in life, but for me to see how he just takes a different approach to life its amazing how it works..

Old 08-02-2014, 10:25 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,752,870 times
1st of all quit comparing people on facebook, it is like a message board of people you know. People only put what they want out to people, they inflate their job positions, put out how great their life is, and refuse to post all the bad in their life.

However, yes people who are good with people have a huge advantage going through life. Like it or not being able to talk and have some kind of relationship with everybody around you is a very important skill that is not taught to many people. In a time when people's ability to complete a job are about the same, than the person that they find more likeable is going to be the person hired or promoted. It is just the way the world works.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:05 PM

23,567 posts, read 24,096,042 times
The answer is, those with high EQ and IQ get ahead in life.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:37 PM

6,463 posts, read 7,807,175 times
Any job within my realm (and many others) require a minimum of a 4 year degree. Some require a Masters, the job I have now required a minimum of a Master degree.

Most people who are as the OP describes (smart, sharp, etc.) will have at least a 4 yr degree. Why? because they are smart, sharp, etc. And why is this even being discussed, research clearly shows that those with more education make a lot more $. Now, queue all the dumb dumbs who will reference the few successful entrepreneurs who never finished college and use outlier examples to prove a point that research clearly shows to be untrue.

Makes no never mind to me though. If OP or others not within my circle of loved ones wants to do no more than high school, ce la vie.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Generally, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment