Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 03:31 PM

24 posts, read 18,888 times

Advertisements

Basically graduated with a science degree, gpa not competitive for dental school so will have to do more schooling to bump up my gpa so that I can have a better shot at dental school. Now my thinking is if its even worth all that debt 300k+, HUGE STRESS, and 4 years of your life committed for most professions in healthcare. Basically I can choose that route, where I go through more schooling, and if I can't get into dental school then choose some other health care profession in the field such as pharmacist, podiatry, nurse or choose a more marketable major straight out of undergrad such as accounting, computer science, or engineering to earn a lesser income, but making 60k+ straight out of undergrad with very minimal debt.

Lets face it, I graduated with a biology degree and its hard to do much with an undergrad in bio where most jobs require you to work in a lab which was never my intention in the first place, more of a path to get into professional school. Don't say you can find jobs at labs etc.. cause that is not what I want to do at all. My intention for biology was to graduate and get into professional health school such as dentistry. Now, I don't normally compare myself to people, but when you see your friends making 60k plus straight out of undergrad and living the "life" as an accountant or engineer it makes you question yourself. Plus when you reflect on yourself where your friends are out buying what they want, not have to worry financially at this point in their lives, and living on their own whereas I am stuck living with my parents scraping by it puts doubt about your life choices. Plus the material is in a sense "easier" than what I am learning and you only have to study hard for 4 years then 60k job while I have to study hard 8 years, putting my life on hold. People do not discuss this much and I think it needs to be discussed. People say do what you want, well I do wanna do dentistry, but its an incredibly difficult journey and not everyone can make it, plus its very cut throat competitive. I would rather earn a decent salary doing something I am okay with to support my family and be in good financial standing then chase something that is not for sure, where if you fail the consequences can cripple you for years to come. I want a job that earns a good income to support my family. Having more money = more opportunities to do whatever you want in life. There is an example of a friend I know of who went through medical school was stressed out, hated his life, and decided to drop out with over 100k in debt. Since most of the people on here I would assume to be hitting late 20s to 30s I would love to hear your guys opinions. Is it better to chase a career that you want to do in life or choose a safe unfulfilling career option to support your family and loved ones?

Last edited by lovers1234; 08-05-2014 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 04:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,537,273 times
You have made multiple posts. I'm sorry your plan for dental school didn't work out but you have to get over it.

You have a degree in biology. Focus on getting a job. Maybe you'll find something else besides dentistry that will peak your interest.

Biology Degree Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 PM

164 posts, read 335,484 times
Quote:
Is it better to chase a career that you want to do in life or choose a safe unfulfilling career option to support your family and loved ones?
It sounds like you answered this question yourself, so in the end others' opinions will just confirm your opinion or make you hesitate:
Quote:
I would rather earn a decent salary doing something I am okay with to support my family and be in good financial standing then chase something that is not for sure, where if you fail the consequences can cripple you for years to come.
Only you can really decide which path is the one you want. But for my opinion, I myself have chosen the latter at the moment. Like you I graduated in a STEM field, and I had a lot of chemical-analytical lab jobs in several places during school but found myself unemployed for a long time due to the current science job field and ended up in retail for awhile but now am in manufacturing (food processing). Unfortunately with the current economy there are very few people whose career/job dreams are realized, so I would also suggest playing it safe.
However:
I think you have perhaps an unrealistic dilemma. Several things:
1.There is no guarantee of even a safe job. The economy is constantly in flux one career/job path may suddenly open up or close and you get laid off at any moment.
2. I think a $60k/yr job right out of college is a bit high. Maybe this depends on where you are and what field/job, but I think I'm lucky right now making ~$30k/yr with some benefits 1 yr out of college. Most of the people I graduated with seemed to have a breakdown like 45% in grad school, 50% in retail/restaurant/hospitality, and 5% in a permanent job in their field of study. Even then I think $60k/yr would take years to build up to.
Quote:
I want a job that earns a good income to support my family. Having more money = more opportunities to do whatever you want in life.
If only it were so simple of an equation. My wife and I especially in the past few months now have made more money than ever before, but have had to make sacrifices to get there. My wife currently works about 200 miles from me and I get to see her maybe once a month and she works a lot of hours so I can't even make a phone call. At my current employer I have to start working overnights now. I have more money coming in but almost no opportunity to spend any time with my wife otherwise when she comes back home. The hour requirements mean more money but less opportunity. My wife works 7 days a week and worked 90 hours last week. I have been working 50+ hr, 6 day workweeks. Maybe in the future we this can help since we are now just stuck paying loans and bills and could take a break in the future, but right now the higher income means less opportunity right now to be together and enjoy our time. Having more money can come with many sacrifices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment