Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,624 times

Advertisements

I am a long time lurker but never have posted on the City-Data board. I enjoy the HR bashing the most. So many times I wanted to register and fight for my career field but never got around to it.

My name is Alice and I work as a Human Resources Manager for a financial company of about 400 employees in Midtown Manhattan. I have been there one year after getting a Masters Degree in HR from Marymount University and experience as a HR Generalist.

NYC is one tough town but being a HR Manager is even tougher. The politics and criticism directed at me and my staff is incredible. They blame me for everything that is wrong with the company. Benefits, compensation rates, small holiday bonuses, layoffs, terminations of popular but incompetent employees, hiring of incompetent employees (that were selected by the manager not HR), aloof uncommunicative executives, and general bad morale.

I got my last performance appraisal and was blamed for most of these things. I told them it was out of my control, but was ignored.

What do you think, are the things above my fault as HR Manager?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:54 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanResourcesGal View Post
I am a long time lurker but never have posted on the City-Data board. I enjoy the HR bashing the most. So many times I wanted to register and fight for my career field but never got around to it.

My name is Alice and I work as a Human Resources Manager for a financial company of about 400 employees in Midtown Manhattan. I have been there one year after getting a Masters Degree in HR from Marymount University and experience as a HR Generalist.

NYC is one tough town but being a HR Manager is even tougher. The politics and criticism directed at me and my staff is incredible. They blame me for everything that is wrong with the company. Benefits, compensation rates, small holiday bonuses, layoffs, terminations of popular but incompetent employees, hiring of incompetent employees (that were selected by the manager not HR), aloof uncommunicative executives, and general bad morale.

I got my last performance appraisal and was blamed for most of these things. I told them it was out of my control, but was ignored.

What do you think, are the things above my fault as HR Manager?
As an HR gal, would you have a potential legal complaint if you are being judged on something completely outside of your control such as recruiting and retention issues clearly the department manager should be responsible of?

I wouldn't sweat it. The Human Resource director at the last place I worked at simply kept track of stats regarding turnover, etc. She had no weight whatsoever on what personnel got hired. She would have weight on who got fired, but as you know especially in the corporate world there has to be a paper trail it seems like a mile long now of disciplinary procedures before someone can be let go because people are concerned about getting sued for wrongful termination.

Maybe if your company stinks then look for another job. There does seem to be HR positions that are in demand.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:04 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
There is one word that best defines how most people see HR - bureaucracy - and bureaucracy is never fun.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 5,982 times
Can you read my post? I really confused about job status and really need someone to shine a light on the situation. Maybe you could help because of HR background.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:56 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,605 times
Lol

Old 08-01-2014, 02:07 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,300 times
Straight up troll.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:16 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
Quote:
My name is Alice
Hi Alice (everyone yells in unison).

Let's see, you were a lowly HR Generalist making peanuts. Then you got a shiny Masters degree and a job with the word "Manager" in it, maybe even went out to Sushi to celebrate. And then decided to pour your heart out on CD to tell your tale of whoa and hardship. When you get home from work, do you lay on your sofa with the back of your hand on your forehead and one leg hanging on the ground while staring off into the distance?

Me thinks someone is a bit too big for her britches.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:29 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Hi Alice (everyone yells in unison).

Who the **** is Alice??!!!

Assuming this isn't a troll, is there anyone who has said being in HR is easy? Most people never see you until something bad happens so, of course, they relate you with bad events. Not that hard to figure out.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 5,624 times
Sometimes I wish I was an accountant where I could just sit in a cubical and do my work and not talk to anyone or have anyone gossip about me or second guess me being an arm chair quarterback. In HR (where I am an a manager in charge of the whole function), there is always five or six ways to handle every problem and what ever solution you come up with, people will complain you made the wrong decision.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:57 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,605 times
Quote:
Sometimes I wish I was an accountant where I could just sit in a cubical and do my work and not talk to anyone or have anyone gossip about me or second guess me being an arm chair quarterback. In HR (where I am an a manager in charge of the whole function), there is always five or six ways to handle every problem and what ever solution you come up with, people will complain you made the wrong decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment