Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 10:41 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,012,013 times

Advertisements

You cannot be a good handler of your finances. If you were fired you should be eligible for unemployment. You should also have an emergency fund of money for 6 months put away in case something like this happens. NEVER be totally dependent on an employee to the point you are in financial ruins if you are let go. Especially immedietely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 11:18 AM

334 posts, read 585,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
Wow, you stayed 3 hours? Dude, grow a backbone.

After 15 minutes I would have got up and left. They're going to fire you anyways, why delay the inevitable and put yourself through that. It's not like you could have debated and changed their mind.

You allowed them to have power over over you. Just like them having power over you since you can't pay your bills. Not sure I feel all that sorry for you man. Your a growna** man. Maybe stand up for yourself at some point in your life.

I don't wish being fired on anyone, but it's how you handle it that shows what kind of a person you really are.
And YOUR POST shows what kind of person YOU are.

Uggggggggggggggggh.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:26 AM

469 posts, read 637,747 times
In your other thread, Problem Boss, you said you have recruiters banging down your door. Also, working 10 minutes beyond what your schedule is hardly working overtime it is usually routine.
The fact you ran to the agency and complained about I am sure did you no favors.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,036,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
In your other thread, Problem Boss, you said you have recruiters banging down your door.
Excellent point. OP, why not just follow up on all those calls. It would seem like your biggest problem now would be figuring out a strategy to sort through all the offers.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:51 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
OP, DO NOT SELL YOUR HOUSE! That is a safety net you cannot afford to get rid of. Even if you opt to move, KEEP THE HOUSE and rent it out and pocket that money as income or use it to pay rent in whatever place you opt to move to. I repeat: DO NOT SELL THE HOUSE.

I got laid off from a job in 2009 and I was devastated and went into panic mode. But then after a few days I calmed down and my husband and I put together a plan to get through the layoff without losing the house. We cut everything that we could - cable TV, trash pickup, gym memberships, took the kids out of after school daycare (since I was now home all day), etc. We also cancelled our very old whole life insurance policies (not TERM, but WHOLE) and used the money to pay the mortgage while I looked for work. I signed up on oDesk and eLance and started getting transcription work to make some side money. I found a part-time office job working 12-15 hours a week.

In your case, consider getting a housemate. Apply for Medicaid. Apply for food stamps. And, most importantly, spruce up your resume and go to 3-4 headhunters in town and see if they can help get you placed into jobs even on a temporary basis. Back in the mid 1990s I was laid off from a job and signed up with two headhunters - they kept me working solidly for two years with various contract/temp jobs until I was finally ready to bite the bullet and re-enter the permanent workforce. The flexibility of contract work allowed me to scheduled interviews whenever I needed them.

You have a lot of options without the worry of not having a roof over your head some day. Don't move, don't freak out - just make a plan and get to it. But most importantly, and I can't say it enough: DO NOT SELL YOUR HOUSE.
Exactly this. If the person is debt free, why are they so worried?

Old 08-08-2014, 01:59 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
Call the mortgage company and power company. They will work with you.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
No 6 to 8 month emergency fund?
I had one that was quickly depleted due to moving costs, deposits, etc. When you have to move, it goes quick because an employer usually will not pay the moving expenses of a new hire.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,654,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
OP, do not even consider selling your paid-off house unless you've already got a job in another state and you know you won't be moving back. Taking in a renter will pay off all of your monthly bills unless you live in an insanely-high-property-tax district; find some nice quiet young professional to fill an empty room and then breathe a big sign of relief.

I second the opinion of the other posters who are pointing out how you're being penny-wise and pound-foolish with some of this stuff. Internet providers do not generally charge by the minute, so you don't have to reduce time spent online; these days you can't really look for work without it. Don't drive short distances? Sure. Cut down on AC usage? Great. But selling your home and sleeping in your car, living one step above a homeless person? Don't do this. Your paid-off home is something that an awful lot of unemployed people would love to have. With it, you've always got a roof over your head. Hang on to that and just look for a job that will keep the bills paid for now.

Best advise on here.

Forget this nonsense of moving to ND. First off you have the elderly father to think about. Second if the OP has an elderly father he is most likely well into middle age himself, not 29yrs old, as we age the body is less willing to cooperate when having to do hard strenuous labor.

I know one poster on here meant well making suggestions that baby boomers are looking to hire people to mow lawns, shovel snow, need movers, etc. And that the OP should look to do work for baby boomers who no longer want to or can do certain physical tasks.

The thing is the OP is most likely a baby boomer himself.

Find a tenant as suggested, that will cover the monthly bills on your paid off house. Than look locally for some type of work.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,165,147 times
Default I know I am repeating previous advice, but you may need to see this again to let it sink in...

OP, slow down!!!! Hopefully, you have read prior posts telling you not to sell your house. BY FAR, the cheapest thing you can do is stay right where you are and find a job, any job to keep food on the table, gas in the car and the lights on.

You have an enormous asset in a house. Even if that house has plummeted in value and isn't worth what you paid, it is far more valuable as a free roof over your head or rental income or a roommate situation than what you will get by dumping it for the first low ball offer thrown your way.

Without the expense of a house and car, you don't need much to get by. Didn't you say your father gets a small pension? If so, that should help with some of his expenses.

You CAN make it through this without losing your assets or paying the large expense of moving somewhere else in hope of a better situation.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:11 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Best advise on here.

Forget this nonsense of moving to ND. First off you have the elderly father to think about. Second if the OP has an elderly father he is most likely well into middle age himself, not 29yrs old, as we age the body is less willing to cooperate when having to do hard strenuous labor.

I know one poster on here meant well making suggestions that baby boomers are looking to hire people to mow lawns, shovel snow, need movers, etc. And that the OP should look to do work for baby boomers who no longer want to or can do certain physical tasks.

The thing is the OP is most likely a baby boomer himself.

Find a tenant as suggested, that will cover the monthly bills on your paid off house. Than look locally for some type of work.

Thank your for pointing out the worthlessness of my contribution. My intent was simply provide some suggestions that might spark the OP to come up with some ideas of his own. I see now that I was being stupid to consider even the remote possibility that the OP might actually be an able-bodied person. Obviously, he could not be because you say he is not. I will make a note of your objections and make sure never to comment on any thread you might start should you ever post with an issue and just need a little encouragement. I wouldn't want to offend your delicate sensibilities any further than I already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment