Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 PM

10 posts, read 11,488 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I received an offer from Company 1 offering 35k for an underwriting position. Company 2 is for an Auditor position that pays 40k. However, the recruiter told me the people at the corporate level decided to not approve the job for some reason. On Monday, I received a call from the hiring manager. He said the team wanted to bring me on board. However, the hiring freeze hit unexpectedly and they've been trying to find some sort of loophole to override it, so to speak. He said he'd talk to his manager and he asked me if I'd be willing to work and be paid through a temp agency for the time being, without benefits. I get the feeling that they really want me to join them. I definitely want to work for Company 2.

What should I do in this situation? Is joining Company 2 and being paid through a temp agency be a risky move?

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:20 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
But you will not be an employee of company 2; you will be working for them as a temp with no benefits. Leaving you in that position is to their advantage. My opinion is that job #2 does not exist, so I'd take job #1, because it is not a temp job and I would be an employee receiving benefits.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,564 times
You have leverage in that you have another offer.

Here's what I would do:

Accept the job with Company A. Then tell Company B that you have another offer on the table (NOT THAT YOU HAVE ACCEPTED IT) and although you really want to be a part of Company B's team, you also need a position with benefits.

See if that suddenly shakes the tree to make a permanent position available.

If all they are doing is offering temp work after that, stick with Company A.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
A $40k job with benefits will cost the company $55k , minimum, with benefits, Employer 401K, FICA, etc. I would probably take offer 1, but offer one option towards company #2. Since the temp agency is likely to mark up your rate 40% minimum, I'd want the company's cost to have you temp exceed the cost to hire you with benefits.

So if you say "I'll temp for the $19 an hour company #1 is offering you", company B will be charged at least $27 an hour, which is about $56k per year. That makes it not an ecopnomic advantage for them to have you temp, so if they are simply being devious attempting to save money at your expense via a bait and switch, this will run them off. If it is truly a case of "I cannot get a new spot approved", they will likely accept your offer, as cost savings via bait and switch is not their M.O.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
I would never pass up a FT, benefitted, permanent position for a temp spot.

Tell company B that you are going to take a job with company A. If and when they have a legitimate position open, they can contact you.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:03 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Tell company B that you are going to take a job with company A. If and when they have a legitimate position open, they can contact you.

There is no such thing as a permanent position. I have been on the same "temp position" for over 4 years. I have no intention of being one of their "permanent" employees. That would involve taking a $40K pay cut to do the same job.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
I'd select option A for the benefits.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times
Option A seems to be the better overall deal.

Just guessing, but, I have a feeling that Option B is feeding you a bit of a line. I would take the advice above and try to use that as a bargaining chip at B.... If they can't come through at the present time, I would ask them to keep you in consideration for the position if it comes available at a later date.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
Quote:

This. Company B is too sketchy, for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I have been on the same "temp position" for over 4 years. I have no intention of being one of their "permanent" employees. That would involve taking a $40K pay cut to do the same job.
Unless you are a mercenary, I am doubtful of this claim. Someone is paying you $90,000 (after the fees they are paying to the Temp agency) to do a $50,000 job? Not to be hostile or a jerk, but what type of job are we speaking about here?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:13 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,759 times
Quote:

This by far

I'd be too scared that company B would have me by the cajones....what if they do end up hiring you, but at less than company A (because they opened the position up, but for a cheaper price)

you'd def be at company B's mercy (or lack of)

I'd go with whomever is willing to deliver it in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search