Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:10 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sounds like a workplace rife for a lawsuit. Surprising it hasn't happened yet.
Unfortunately you have to be able to prove it. Its impossible to prove age discrimination under our current set of laws. You have to be able to prove intent beyond a shadow of a doubt and that's only possible from the inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 02:32 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
I see obese people get hired all the time.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:35 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
if companies didn't hire obese people then half of the working-age population of america would be unemployed.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:43 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
You can't be obese and be a waitress at Twin Peaks. You also can't be a guy. I always wondered how companies can get away with that. What do they state in their contracts?

I guess it's sort of like pro sports. They can say you don't have the talent or sorts. Can someone say that the NBA won't hire short fat guys?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:49 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I heard a lot of people say that companies won't hire someone who is obese because they think they are lazy workers and their health insurance will cost too much
The irony of someone worrying about appearing lazy and then cannot even use a PERIOD.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:51 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
You can't be obese and be a waitress at Twin Peaks. You also can't be a guy. I always wondered how companies can get away with that. What do they state in their contracts?

I guess it's sort of like pro sports. They can say you don't have the talent or sorts. Can someone say that the NBA won't hire short fat guys?
There are actually special cases for companies like that that allow them to hire based on looks. Its sorta like Victorias Secret models, a guy isn't going to be hired for that, but its not prejudice because the job qualifications are to be a pretty female.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:54 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
There was a case with Hooters where they were arguing in court with the feds over not hiring men and after shaming the govt by having one of the owners/managers dressed in drag serving patrons the govt relented.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:56 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
I say it depends on your definition of obese. I go by medical definition. So by my definition someone 5'6" and over 220 lbs would be obese not just overweight.

Most of the people I work with are medically obese (BMI in the 30s) but none are what I would call morbidly obese. They have no physical barriers, most are actually active. They usually have pudgy faces and big bellies with muscular arms and legs.

I think there is a tipping point around a BMI of 40 where it becomes a health risk issue. Bellies that hang bellow the genitals and really thick leg bottoms above the ankles and trouble breathing are usually mean a candidate is too obese.

It's always going to be industry specific. If your selling Mercedes they probably want you to be thin and good looking. If your cutting metal in a machine shop...well who cares. My only gripe is that when I went into the clinic for a checkup my nurses were all overweight or obese. If there is one one industry where that should matter its nursing. I also had a chubby PA tell me I needed to exercise more.... uhhhh, your right, but um pot.... kettle.. black... eh, nevermind, he went to school to be a PA, I'm sure he already realizes how ridiculous it is for a fat person to tell a normal weight person they need to exercise more.

obese and well dressed and educated..no problem. Morbidly obese, sloppy and not very educated... well then I could see not getting hired.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:03 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
There are actually special cases for companies like that that allow them to hire based on looks. Its sorta like Victorias Secret models, a guy isn't going to be hired for that, but its not prejudice because the job qualifications are to be a pretty female.
Thanks. Me and my co-workers were wondering how their hiring process can be legal after a nice lunch at Twin Peaks one day.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:35 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Thanks. Me and my co-workers were wondering how their hiring process can be legal after a nice lunch at Twin Peaks one day.
They probably hire them as models rather than waitresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment