Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

And she'll have to sift through how many pages to get to anything relating to her question.

Why not start another thread before you continue for another four, is my point?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:34 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And she'll have to sift through how many pages to get to anything relating to her question.

Why not start another thread before you continue for another four, is my point?
The OP wants to know where good jobs are for single black mothers, do you have any advice? How could you post a question like this and NOT expect to have to sift through pages of rants on race?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:35 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Is there any good reason you two are hijacking this woman's thread????
I agree. Please give her some good advice about towns that are safe for single mothers. I dont care what race she is, any mother would be equally worried in her situation. Maybe she used the heading to get some feedback about where you can find most single mothers of that race so that she can easily fit in & find some friends who are in same situation & can help out each other with their kids. Its same thing like I moved to a city with more Indian crowd because its easy for me to find Indian groceries, restaurants. If I ask about US cites with more Indians, I am not playing any race card. I am just looking for convenience. Thats all. I used to drive 3+hrs from where I lived to buy Indian groceries so I was looking at towns where there were more Indians & therefore, more Indian products.

Last edited by theluckygal; 09-08-2014 at 02:45 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I agree. Please give her some good advice about towns that are safe for single mothers. I dont care what race she is, any mother would be equally worried in her situation. Maybe she used the heading to get some feedback about where you can find most single mothers of that race so that she can easily fit in.
The OP mentions a good 6 or 7 times that they are black and want to be treated special because so. That was her question.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:42 PM

12 posts, read 12,539 times
@thatguydownsouth, Some of your comments are not based on the bigger and more complex problem, which is..regardless of what you say, or how you try to taint statistics, RACISM in this country is still very much alive and well. Blacks, and other minority groups are passed over for jobs that they are more than qualified for, in companies all over the world. It doesn't really matter what the statistics say, "BLACK MEN AND WOMEN", who experience discrimination firsthand live it everyday. Until you have walked in those shoes, you will never understand the hardships and adversities faced by many African-Americans. I have an MBA, and am two years from completion of my PhD. I have been passed over for interviews and jobs, and it had nothing to do with my education or experience. So don't try to diminish the fact that hiring managers all over the world, put people in positions that look like them, and that come from the socio-economic backgrounds the mirror their own. It is real!!

Old 09-08-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The OP mentions a good 6 or 7 times that they are black and want to be treated special because so. That was her question.

Stop. Please just stop. The op said no such thing and you know it.

You appear to be in the mood to spar with someone today. Kindly start a thread and take it up with the other poster there so this woman can get some help.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:44 PM

If I had posted SWF, there would have been NOT one issue raised.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBFMOMX2 View Post
@thatguydownsouth, Some of your comments are not based on the bigger and more complex problem, which is..regardless of what you say, or how you try to taint statistics, RACISM in this country is still very much alive and well. Blacks, and other minority groups are passed over for jobs that they are more than qualified for, in companies all over the world. It doesn't really matter what the statistics say, "BLACK MEN AND WOMEN", who experience discrimination firsthand live it everyday. Until you have walked in those shoes, you will never understand the hardships and adversities faced by many African-Americans. I have an MBA, and am two years from completion of my PhD. I have been passed over for interviews and jobs, and it had nothing to do with my education or experience. So don't try to diminish the fact that hiring managers all over the world, put people in positions that look like them, and that come from the socio-economic backgrounds the mirror their own. It is real!!
And you act as if you sat on that hiring committee and saw every candidate that came through there and just KNOW that you didn't get the job because of the color of your skin right? Do you know how many jobs Ive been turned down for in my day? I was unemployed for a year after graduation because I didn't have experience in my field. Do you think I dared to claim it was because of the color of my skin?? No! You just assume you are being discriminated against because you went to school and have experience and therefore MUST be the top candidate....

Old 09-08-2014, 02:48 PM

SBFMOM, have you tried removing your MBA degree when applying to jobs that may not require one? Some companies may think you are overqualified.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:52 PM

MPowering1, Yes, I am now doing that! Thanks again for all of your constructive advice!! : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment