Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 04:36 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times

Advertisements

I started wondering if you took my old job. I tried playing music softly but was fussed at. Actually I had two. Judy and Joe. We wanted to hang a sign that said Jody above their conjoined cubicles. She was the speaker phone, grumpy person. He was the constant complainer who didn't really seem to have a job. One day, as he was going on and on and ON about how bad it was to work there I youtubed "take this job and shove it" and blared it. Everyone laughed and sang along. I don't know if it made him stop complaining later but it worked temporarily.

One thing I don't understand about people who complain about their jobs, why do they stay there? I view them as stupid for staying there. It's different if you're searching for a way out, or a way to improve, but after THIRTY YEARS you're an idiot to complain about something. Self-induced misery. It was always worse when certain people came through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 05:04 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I started wondering if you took my old job. I tried playing music softly but was fussed at. Actually I had two. Judy and Joe. We wanted to hang a sign that said Jody above their conjoined cubicles. She was the speaker phone, grumpy person. He was the constant complainer who didn't really seem to have a job. One day, as he was going on and on and ON about how bad it was to work there I youtubed "take this job and shove it" and blared it. Everyone laughed and sang along. I don't know if it made him stop complaining later but it worked temporarily.

One thing I don't understand about people who complain about their jobs, why do they stay there? I view them as stupid for staying there. It's different if you're searching for a way out, or a way to improve, but after THIRTY YEARS you're an idiot to complain about something. Self-induced misery. It was always worse when certain people came through.
The company that I work for had one very promising young man and the company engineered a promotion especially for him. At his interview, for this opening, he complained about his current managers. Three days after his interview he was fired. Of course I am sure it did not have anything to do with the interview!

I don't think that anybody should quit a job that they hate - but I do think that these people should constantly look for other employment. My feeling is that unhappy workers should try working other jobs on nights or weekends to see if they like another profession better. Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side. If disgruntled workers can taste the other side; they might be happier where they work now?

Old 09-19-2014, 05:06 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Since she is blunt and rude, tell her to keep it to herself because you've got your own problems and you don't want to hear it.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:09 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Since she is blunt and rude, tell her to keep it to herself because you've got your own problems and you don't want to hear it.
This.. exactly this...

Nothing is worse then hearing someone else b*tch and complain about everyone around you that you work with and the company you work for... it drags you down.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:23 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
I would not be able to listen to it. Telling her that I don't want to hear it would be necessary for me to do. If she continued, I would be forced to ask a supervisor to put a stop to it.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:54 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Sounds like every work environment I have been involved in. When people complain to me and ***** about the job I simply will just ignore it or comment back to them, "if you don't like it you can always leave, no one is forcing you to stay here". That will always get them to stop when they are around me. Telling your boss most likely will not do anything. These complainers are negative aholes that shouldn't be working anywhere, let alone at the company you work at. They feel entitled to everything and complain about nothing. Surprisingly, these coworkers either A. Make you stronger, by having you deal with negativity in a positive professional manner that you will carry with you throughout your professional and adult life, or B. Make you weaker, by turning you into an entitled complainer. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine_in_my_coffee View Post
No, the boss is delusional. She lives in her own little world and thinks everyone at the company is so happy. In actuality, no one at the job is happy. Even those that have been there for years is job hunting and she can't see it. She is rarely ever there to know what is going on. When she is there she is just in her own little bubbly world.

Set up some time with your boss and talk to her. Tell her what's going on and that your cube mate is distracting you from doing your job. Ask if it's possible to switch seats as a last resort. Unruly employees have to be spoken to. There's all sorts of scenarios in my office. Not everyone is expected to be best buddies but we're expected to be professionals. If someone starts distracting the people around them, they get spoken to. Ask other people to talk to your boss as well.

If that doesn't work then reach out to your HR department.

Good luck! I know how it feels having the office grump as a co-worker

Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Every workplace has crappy people so deal with it. Her attitude isn't impeding you from work right? Kill her with kindness. Put some nice sweet tunes on the radio and get to work.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:28 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine_in_my_coffee View Post
My co-worker is driving me crazy. I have only been working at this company for about 9 months and I dread going to work.

At my job we share office space. Everyone has a desk and a small work area. The person next to me complains about everything and everyone all day. This has been going on since the day I started. I am so sick of hearing the complaining and it gives me a headache. I can't deal with 8 hrs of complaining every day and there isn't different departments so there is nowhere to transfer.

She also wants to be the boss, which she is not and tries to demand me and everyone else to do what she wants. And she gets mad when someone disagrees with her about anything. She is very blunt and says rude, offensive things as if she is joking. And she talks about everyone as soon as they leave the room. Judging by the things she says about other coworkers, I would hate to know the things she has said about me. Yet, she smiles in everyone's face as if she's said nothing horrible about them.

Anyone else in this situation and how do you deal with it?
Does she get any work done and how can anyone concentrate on what they are doing? I'd look for another job because if you say anything to anybody you will be the bad guy! For sure!

Old 09-19-2014, 08:31 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
They say once you start putting down the company you work for then you're better off quitting. For goodness sake if you work for a man..work for him and here is the saying that came to mind:
LOYALTY:
If you work for a man, in heaven's name work for him. If he pays you wages which supply you bread and butter, work for him; speak well of him; stand by him, and stand by the institution he represents. If put to a pinch, an ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness. If you must vilify, condemn, and eternally disparage, resign your position, and when you are outside, damn to your heart's content, but as long as you are part of the institution do not condemn it. If you do that, you are loosening the tendrils that are holding you to the institution, and at the first high wind that comes along, you will be uprooted and blown away, and will probably never know the reason why. Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by Littlelu; 09-19-2014 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment